Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,930

0 members and 2,930 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
  • 10-15-2009, 12:02 PM
    Lolo76
    When do you become a "business?"
    I was going to do a search for this topic, but the keywords will bring up too much junk - so I'll go ahead and ask! ;)

I am breeding my first pair of BPs right now, and might breed another girl later in the season. When I go to sell these babies, should I already have established a business name for myself? I'm not talking about anything official/registered... just a name, website domain, etc. I'd like to look as professional as possible, but also wouldn't want to appear more important than I am. :D So when did you officially become a business, and not simply Jane Smith selling a clutch?
  • 10-15-2009, 12:36 PM
    HypoPita
    Re: When do you become a "business?"
    I know I and a few others were having a discussion about just this around a year and a half ago. I'm not saying to go dig it up, it's good you didn't resurrect the dead :P It's a good question, that I don't have a sufficient answer for, so I'm glad you brought it up.

I can't think of the different classifications of a business that you can make yourself into, but I think that at the very least, after a few clutches you should look into some form. Becoming a business can protect you personally, limiting liability (?) as well as keeping banking separate and presenting yourself as a more trustworthy and established person. I am more comfortable buying something from a person with a "Wesellsnakes inc." than from "hi im bob. I has snakes". Of course this is assuming it is not someone I am familiar with from our forums or in real life. I would say though, become some form of an official business as soon as you can.

A website is a great idea. It is a huge help in selling things, people love visual aids. While a website can help you, it can also hurt you if you are not smart about it. I have seen some VERY unprofessional websites, with formulaic layouts, horrible grammar and more than an acceptable amount of misspellings. If you do it right however, you have definitely caught my attention, even if you are a very small operation! PLEASE don't do a geocities or the like. Have it professional. A small website isn't really that expensive to run, and adds are a HUGE deterrent.

Well, I hope maybe that helped, at least enough to tide you over until someone who has gone thought the process can chime in, or maybe they already have while I have been writing this. At any rate, I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say about this!
  • 10-15-2009, 12:39 PM
    Jason Bowden
    I had three clutches my first season(2008). My wife set up our website(needs to be updated!!!). You could check it out: www.bayouexotics.webs.com - it might give you some ideas, etc.

I don't think there is any thing wrong with just using your name(Jane Smith, etc). Alot of folks sell snakes on kingsnake.com that way.
  • 10-15-2009, 12:49 PM
    Jason Bowden
    Our website was setup through www.freewebs.com and is free. Not hard to set up/ pretty self explainitory.

I had set up a LLC to be registered as a business. My income from snake sells wasn't higher than my expenses. If income isn't higher than expenses for three years, it will be considered a hobby by the IRS.
  • 10-15-2009, 12:58 PM
    Lolo76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HypoPita View Post
    I am more comfortable buying something from a person with a "Wesellsnakes inc." than from "hi im bob. I has snakes".

:yes: Yes, that's exactly what I've been thinking... when I purchased snakes/lizards online, I definitely felt more confident buying from a business. And speaking of "I has snakes," doesn't it irk you when a seller can't use proper grammar & spelling? Maybe it's the (ex) English teacher in me, but that just screams unprofessional and incompetent. I don't expect perfection, however spell-check is an easy thing to use. ;) And I'm not your buddy sending you a text, so full sentences and "you" vs "u" are appreciated too. Okay, rant over... LOL.

You actually did help a LOT, and gave me some good information to consider. Very good point about the website too, since I'm immediately turned off by sites that are cheap-looking and/or difficult to navigate. Luckily I have a close friend who's a web designer (or whatever it's called), and I'm sure I could convince her to help out... especially since she stopped working to be a stay-at-home mom, and seems extremely bored now. :P Thanks again for the response!
  • 10-15-2009, 01:00 PM
    Lolo76
    P.S. I have a few ideas for my business name & logo, but I'll save that for a separate thread when the time comes... :)
  • 10-15-2009, 01:01 PM
    blackcrystal22
    Well, this will ALWAYS be a hobby for me. It will never be my main source of income, and I don't want it to be. There are other things I want to do in my life.
    So it is a partial business in that I am selling, buying, and investing, but I do not own my own business IMO.
  • 10-15-2009, 01:04 PM
    Lolo76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HypoPita View Post
    I have seen some VERY unprofessional websites, with formulaic layouts, horrible grammar and more than an acceptable amount of misspellings.

This reminds me... I won't name names, but a certain BIG-time breeder has this problem. :cool: It particularly surprised me when they spelled a snake-related term incorrectly, multiple times. C'mon, at least get the SNAKE terms right! Anyway, you definitely don't have to worry about that with me - I'm so uptight about spelling and grammar, it's almost annoying. Just ask my students, LOLOL.
  • 10-15-2009, 01:07 PM
    Lolo76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Well, this will ALWAYS be a hobby for me. It will never be my main source of income, and I don't want it to be. There are other things I want to do in my life.
    So it is a partial business in that I am selling, buying, and investing, but I do not own my own business IMO.

Yeah, I don't have any intentions of making this my career... I already have a career that I enjoy, and never even imagined I'd breed when I bought my first BP. Now I only see it as a way to expand the hobby, cover my expenses, and maybe get a few more snakes (either my own babies or money for other babies) in the process. ;) But I do have to be realistic, and think of how to best present these future "products."
  • 10-15-2009, 01:38 PM
    HypoPita
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolo76 View Post
    This reminds me... I won't name names, but a certain BIG-time breeder has this problem. :cool: It particularly surprised me when they spelled a snake-related term incorrectly, multiple times. C'mon, at least get the SNAKE terms right! Anyway, you definitely don't have to worry about that with me - I'm so uptight about spelling and grammar, it's almost annoying. Just ask my students, LOLOL.

lmfao!! I think...........I may know what your talkn about.......maybe im wrong...........but they are some smokin babies.
    ....wont name names...........or anything............but i think everyone knows who youre talking about....

ahahahaha sorry I had to. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Anyway, I'm glad that I was able to help you out! :gj: