Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,933

0 members and 2,933 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
  • 09-12-2017, 08:52 PM
    Godzilla78
    switch to rack system, should I keep the glass?
    I spent a lot of time and money and thought into creating my custom, insulated, temperature and humidity controlled 40 gallon terrarium. Yet, as most here know, rack and tub housing is just so much easier and more efficient than a typical glass tank. So now that I have switched to a rack, I am not sure what to do with my tank. I was thinking of keeping my favorite snake in there as a "display snake", since the truth is they do come out and show themselves, they are not *always* in their hides!

However, the 40 gallon tank is
    1)big
    2)inefficient to heat
    3)harder to clean
    4)big & inefficient to heat. :P
    What do the FORUM members say? Should I just sell the tank? sigh..
  • 09-12-2017, 08:58 PM
    Randall L Turner Jr
    If you aren't in a rush to sell it I'd say hang onto it for a while to see how you feel about using it for a display.
  • 09-12-2017, 09:02 PM
    GiddyGoat
    Re: switch to rack system, should I keep the glass?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall L Turner Jr View Post
    If you aren't in a rush to sell it I'd say hang onto it for a while to see how you feel about using it for a display.

I agree with Randall. I'd see how it goes for you as a display, since you've put so much money, time, and energy into it already and you seem a bit reluctant to sell it. If you end up HATING the extra maintenance, then bye-bye it goes.
  • 09-12-2017, 09:34 PM
    thebrowntroutdude
    Quote:

Originally Posted by carldordelman
    I spent a lot of time and money and thought into creating my custom, insulated, temperature and humidity controlled 40 gallon terrarium. Yet, as most here know, rack and tub housing is just so much easier and more efficient than a typical glass tank. So now that I have switched to a rack, I am not sure what to do with my tank. I was thinking of keeping my favorite snake in there as a "display snake", since the truth is they do come out and show themselves, they are not *always* in their hides!

However, the 40 gallon tank is
    1)big
    2)inefficient to heat
    3)harder to clean
    4)big & inefficient to heat. :P
    What do the FORUM members say? Should I just sell the tank? sigh..

Yeah I really REALLY hate the glass "fish tanks". Racks or custom build cages are imo the only way to go. (I actually like plastic boxes better even) I'd sell it on Craigslist and use the money to buy something neat. A 40 gall. could probably go for $50 or more. If you have your heart set on a display snake I'd almost be inclined to use the money to build a custom cage.
  • 09-12-2017, 09:43 PM
    SDA
    I'm saving up to completely replace my Dante's entire enclosure, heating, and thermostats next month. after having him in the same glass enclosure for 6 years, I plan on retiring the old exo terra glass enclosure with extreme prejudice out in the back yard :P

On a side note, spyder robotics is having a killer sale on their redline models right now. Just picked up a herpstat 2 for a steal (one item bought, 5 to go!)

I say try and sell it and if not, put it somewhere, you never know if you will want a colder temp loving animal down the road.
  • 09-12-2017, 09:50 PM
    Rikoku
    Since you have it already, I would keep it to quarantine any new snakes that may come into your collection.
  • 09-12-2017, 09:57 PM
    Godzilla78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikoku View Post
    Since you have it already, I would keep it to quarantine any new snakes that may come into your collection.

Excellent idea. It is already heat and humidity controlled, and time and money spent. PERFECT! I hate to sell it, mainly because I know how much money and time went into its creation, and how little money I will likely get for it.
  • 09-12-2017, 10:39 PM
    PythonBabes
    Don't let people on here convince you that using a terrarium/tank is bad or that it just can't be done. Many people here like to do that. Tubs aren't the only way ball pythons can be housed.

I say, do what you want to do! Just know that a tank will be a little extra work, but a dedicated owner should have absolutely no problem with that.
    Having a display tank for the favorite or very first snake , I think, is pretty common among people who have multiple snakes or rack systems. I think its a great idea! You are right, they aren't always in their hides and its awesome to watch them when they are out and exploring at night.
  • 09-12-2017, 10:47 PM
    Godzilla78
    Yeah, I am going to keep it for now. Thanks for the good ideas!
  • 09-13-2017, 09:58 AM
    distaff
    As long as you have the space to conveniently store it, keep it.

An extra enclosure is always handy. Otherwise, it can be re-purposed for inverts (not all require heat, and many can work in a multi-species community tank), or orchids, ferns, etc. Also good for quarantine, so a new snake doesn't go into the rack with the others.