Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,267

3 members and 3,264 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
  • 01-05-2019, 02:02 PM
    Zincubus
    Re: Secondary UTH for Ball Python
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KoiNip View Post
    Thanks for the help. I mentioned in my first reply that I do have a temp gun, or digital thermometer, and that's what I've been using to check temps. I forgot to quote you on that reply so you may have missed it.

That's great then ... so using the digital temp gun , I set the area under the warm hide at the desired temp 92F then put about 1/2 to 3/4 of substrate over the whole floor area ( I only use Orchid / Repti bark ) . .. you'll have to do the same with the second UTH but set at 75 to 80F , again regulated with a second stat though ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 01-05-2019, 03:23 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KoiNip View Post
    Thanks for giving me the options. I was considering a CHE for a while, but I was concerned about the humidity as I'm likely going to have trouble keeping it up as it is. I looked into RHP, I definitely don't have the budget for that. Standard heat bulbs can't be kept on all the time if I'm not mistaken, which is a problem given I need this secondary heat source most at night.

I do have a thermostat for all the UTH's i intend to use. Thanks for your help!

I use bulbs 24/7, have for many years. I just buy the dark purple ones. They hardly cast any light. None of my snakes have ever shown any signs of stress due to them. Especially species like BPs who stay hidden almost 24 hours a day.
  • 01-05-2019, 08:21 PM
    Valyndris
    Since it's cold up here in Canada, i use a big UTH on the warm side and just a small one on his cool side and it seems to work perfectly.
  • 01-05-2019, 08:31 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    Since it's cold up here in Canada, i use a big UTH on the warm side and just a small one on his cool side and it seems to work perfectly.

That may work, depending on room temps. If room temps are kept in the low 80s that's not a problem.
    It's not unheard of to run multiple UTHs and no additional heat, but it typically only works where the room remains warm enough