Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,846

0 members and 2,846 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Cage size

Printable View

• 12-11-2018, 10:58 PM
    CooperSchardt
    Cage size
    My bp is our growing her old cage, and I was wondering how big I should get to last her forever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 12-11-2018, 11:04 PM
    tttaylorrr
    Re: Cage size
    41qt tub, or ~4ft of floor space for an adult female.
  • 12-11-2018, 11:20 PM
    Dianne
    I currectly have all but my two quarantine bp’s in 30”x32”x12” plastic cages - a couple of 8’x30”x12” cages divided into 3 units each. I’m planning to revamp my cage setup next year, if all goes well, and replace the large 8’ cages with individual 36”x24”x12” pvc cages. The shallower depth will be easier for me to clean since they seem to prefer to do their business in the furthest corner that I can’t reach. :rolleyes:

For a few of my larger snakes, I’m considering 48”x24”x12” pvc cages just to give them extra room. The route I’m going is more expensive, but I like being able to look into the cages and like to give them as much space as reasonably possible. They will do well in tubs and smaller enclosures than I plan, but this is just my preference.
  • 12-12-2018, 12:58 AM
    KevinK
    Well stated by both so far.

48x24x12 or 15 for an adult female

....or 36x24x12 or 15 for an adult male

Animals Plastics or Reptile Basics is worth a look.
  • 12-06-2019, 01:03 AM
    Southpaw91
    I know this thread is old but, was just browsing around looking for info about adult enclosures and whatnot. A lot of people saying a 41qt tub is fine for an adult, but, my 5m/o female is in a 41 qt Weathertight locking tub (lots of holes for ventilation). She's about 230g, she has 2 medium size pangea black box hides, a water bowl, a smallish piece of driftwood and a silk pothos vine for clutter. I just cannot imagine an adult female being comfortable in that tub. For one, 2 Large Pangea hides, which she will definitely need, would take up nearly all of her floor space. I know they generally prefer to be coiled up in small dark spaces, but i don't think she would be able to move around in there at all... granted, mine is slightly different dimensions (about 23x18x8") but dang. just a thought
  • 12-06-2019, 01:54 AM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Southpaw91 View Post
    I know this thread is old but, was just browsing around looking for info about adult enclosures and whatnot. A lot of people saying a 41qt tub is fine for an adult, but, my 5m/o female is in a 41 qt Weathertight locking tub (lots of holes for ventilation). She's about 230g, she has 2 medium size pangea black box hides, a water bowl, a smallish piece of driftwood and a silk pothos vine for clutter. I just cannot imagine an adult female being comfortable in that tub. For one, 2 Large Pangea hides, which she will definitely need, would take up nearly all of her floor space. I know they generally prefer to be coiled up in small dark spaces, but i don't think she would be able to move around in there at all... granted, mine is slightly different dimensions (about 23x18x8") but dang. just a thought

That your experience based on a single animal you own. :gj:

The 41 quarts described have a floor space of 35x16 and people do not generally use hides in tubs for adults. For comparison a 40 gallons breeder tank commonly used by people using tank has a floor space of 36x18. Just some food for the thoughts.
  • 12-06-2019, 02:32 AM
    Southpaw91
    I was not meaning to imply that anyone was wrong. I apologize if it came across that way. The post was merely meant for the sake of discussion. I can see how you could forgo hides if you are using a rack system with solid-sided tubs. I was thinking more towards a bin setup, where the enclosure is standalone and has clearish sides that let light thru. I'm sorry if my post sounded argumentative as that was not my intention.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk