Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,920

1 members and 2,919 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
  • 03-24-2020, 09:34 PM
    Pine
    Chronic constipation problem
    I have had snakes off and on sense the mid 1960s.
    I have had eastern hognose, cornsnakes, gartersnakes but never Ball Pythons.
    I got my first last August, actually it's my wife's be cause she fell in love with it.
    After a couple months I got myself one, a male Queenbee.
    Then my wife got a Pied.
    So I have had a crash course in BPs.
    My problem is my Queenbee, about once a month he gets blown up like a balloon and I have to do a water soak at 92° for 30 minutes.
    That has worked until now.
    I did a soak yesterday and no results.
    Did another soak today and still no results.
    As I was looking him over, he has a very slight prolapse.
    He was just fed last Sunday and he eagerly eats.
    Does this sound like I need to get him to the vet?
    Is there any supplement or something that could help him?
    Thanks for your thoughts.
  • 03-24-2020, 09:52 PM
    Bogertophis
    Might not be keeping his humidity high enough...dehydration can cause constipation, especially for BPs since they need very warm cages & don't move around much.
    If you do soak a snake, you want the water about 85*; 92* is nearing harmful-uncomfortable, & often a constipated snake does better if they can swim in place (with
    your support of his mid-section, & water not too deep, stay right there the whole time) in a bath tub or kiddie pool.

Post a pic of "slight prolapse" if you can. Does he eat f/t? If so, try feeding them damp/wet (to add hydration).
  • 03-24-2020, 10:16 PM
    Pine
    Re: Chronic constipation problem
    I have a Reptirain on his viv and the humidity stays constant around 80%.
    I have a hard time with pictures on this site but the prolapse is pink and protruding less than a millimeter.
    As I was looking at it with him rolled over, it seemed to pull back in almost completely.
    Thanks for the bath temp, I had read that it should be 92° but as usual, garbage found online.
  • 03-24-2020, 10:25 PM
    Pine
    I'm also thinking of not feeding him for a few weeks.
    Oh and I do feed FT rat pups thawed in water and still wet.
  • 03-24-2020, 10:39 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine View Post
    I have a Reptirain on his viv and the humidity stays constant around 80%.
    I have a hard time with pictures on this site but the prolapse is pink and protruding less than a millimeter.
    As I was looking at it with him rolled over, it seemed to pull back in almost completely.
    Thanks for the bath temp, I had read that it should be 92° but as usual, garbage found online.

Not personally familiar w/ Reptirain but 80% humidity (unless in shed) is a little too much of a good thing ;) & obviously his dehydration isn't from low humidity.

Pondering what other factors can cause dehydration...no mites, I assume? How about his stool...have you ever had a fresh stool sample checked (for worms) by a herp. vet?

And I assume he has a water bowl (filled) at all times? (I still come across ppl who've been told that snakes don't need a bowl of water to drink, that's all wrong, since living in our houses is dehydrating, what with A/C & heat that both dry out the air. But I'm assuming that doesn't apply to you & your snake.)

I'm thinking that a prolapse of "less than a mm" is not significant & may only be related to a recent shed or recent defecation (especially when constipated, pushing out a urate 'stone' is rough on their cloaca") so you might want to give it some time (a few more days or a week) to see if it retracts on it's own? I hope so, & think it probably will.

Temps. -even the air in a BP's enclosure- you want to keep it at or below 90* for safety...92* isn't awful, it's at the high end of safety & better avoided IMO, but I would avoid immersing a snake in such hot water* since heat transfers far more effectively by water than thru air, & water tends to cover more of their body (ie. be harder to escape any discomfort) *Since our normal body temp. is nearly 100* (98.6*) water that's 90* will feel cool to us, but really isn't for a snake, so it's best to take the temp. of bath water.
  • 03-25-2020, 06:11 AM
    dr del
  • 03-25-2020, 07:34 AM
    Lord Sorril
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    ...have you ever had a fresh stool sample checked (for worms) by a herp. vet?

Chronic intestinal swelling: I would suspect parasites as well.
  • 03-25-2020, 01:09 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine View Post
    I'm also thinking of not feeding him for a few weeks...

Why? That's not likely to help...intestines (whether owned by humans or a snake) like having something to do. ;) When you don't eat for a while, it slows down, & that's NOT what you want here.
  • 03-25-2020, 01:16 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    When you say swelled up does it feel hard or squishy like a balloon filled up with air?
  • 04-15-2020, 03:48 PM
    Pine
    Update on my Queenbee.
    No parasites, not dehydrated and no blockage.
    Vet said it's from lack of exercise. So I have been handling him at least every other day and he is doing just fine now.
    Funny thing, my wife thought he needed more exercise too.
    I guess some BPs are just naturally lethargic and this guy doesn't even hunt in his viv like all my other snakes do.