Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,383

2 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
  • 03-29-2012, 10:41 PM
    Cupid
    Usually everyday, but they get 2-3 days off after eating, and when they are about to shed, they get a few days off until they shed.
  • 03-29-2012, 11:33 PM
    Jazi
    2 days off for feeding and from dull - shed I don't handle Quetzal. Otherwise any day is up for grabs but I'll definitely take him out if he shows interest in what I'm doing outside of his tank. Otherwise, if I'm not busy I'll take him out, if I am busy I'll leave him there.
  • 03-30-2012, 08:11 AM
    CherryPython
    Obviously with the exception of the handling after feeding and around shedding rule, I try and get Pretzel out every other day where I can :) When Pringle is settled in we'll see how he is with handling, but in the store and when we were sorting him out in his tub he was very chilled :)
  • 03-30-2012, 08:28 AM
    sissysnakes
    Re: how often do you hold your snakes?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    I try to hold atleast a few times a week, if I can't do that maybe because she hasn't digested yet or something, I will put my hand in the tank on her, and I will pet her sort of, and she will slither up my hand and try to come out anyways lol.

EDIT:
    Some of you that put everyday, i'm sure you don't hold your snake everyday, meaning the day after it eats? If so then you really shouldn't.

I put every day, but of course I dont handle them for atleast a few days after they eat, or when they are in shed. I also dont handle a new snake until after their first feed.. I have 5 snakes though so usually someone gets to come out after I get home from work.. even it it is just for a spot check...
  • 03-30-2012, 11:44 AM
    skinnyrascal
    I know I'll always need one to handle every day! That's why I'm getting two and keeping them on different feeding schedules. ;)
  • 03-30-2012, 01:07 PM
    meowmeowkazoo
    I hold mine briefly for cage cleaning, weighing, etc. When I had boas I held them more often, because they actually seemed to enjoy being out of the cage. The balls really seem to prefer to be left alone.
  • 03-30-2012, 01:15 PM
    AK907
    Where is the "Other" or "None of the above" option? None of ours get held much. Usually just for maintenance and the like. They aren't really social like a cat, dog or a rat. They do best when left alone and given their privacy. I can appreciate them on the other side of their tubs.
  • 03-30-2012, 01:28 PM
    DShaw
    I hold mine about once a week maybe usually on the weekends
  • 05-20-2013, 05:02 PM
    rossko85
    Handle every other day 15min-30 min, the day before I feed, 24-36 hours after eating, when cleaning tank, and I make sure when critter is in the tank I make a point to put my hands on things in the tank (clean of course) to help spread my sent and to organize anything like probes or substrate etc...

She is getting more and more noble and curious now that Ive had her about a month...still gets stressed when handled always trying to find a place to hide, but then she will calm down a bit and just chill out on my hands or on my shoulders. She is always flicking her tongue and will now come to my hand and my girlfriends hand when presented in front of her slowly.

Working so far....got a whole shed and she ate after the first week having her and has eaten the last 3 times we have fed her...id say she is doing very well! shes about 5 months, 201g, 22.44" long
  • 05-20-2013, 06:21 PM
    ChaosAffect
    Wow, this is really the Thread That Wouldn't Die, isn't it?

I hold most of mine every day for about 15 minutes or so, with the exception of the day after feeding and when they're in shed. I do have one that's still really sketchy. I only hold her about once every 3-4 days for a few minutes. Still trying to get her acclimated.