Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,383

2 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
  • 02-11-2020, 11:57 AM
    Kaeroe
    Reptile radiator and heat mat not enough?
    Here is our enclosure: https://imgur.com/a/d2S0biV
    On the hot side I have a reptile radiator on a microclimate dimmer, underneath I have a 25w mat on a microclimate pulse
    IR gun temps of my room range between 12 and 15c (with the storm going on at the moment I would guess that's colder than usual)
    Cold side of my tank is only reaching 19.5c according to placed in thermometer on the substrate, another thermometer probe is reading 23.6c higher up on the wall on the far cold side. Gun readings showing 15c on individual coconut bark pieces
    Hot side ground thermometer reading is 26.5c, whilst gun temps of the top of the resin hide show up to 37c at the top most part, while 22c on the coconut bark substrate just inside the hide.
    Cork wall on the hot side 31c at the top, down to 28c at the bottom.

How the heck do I sort these temps? I have some window insulator arriving tomorrow for the front and top glass: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NVI3D..._e0SqEbG2FCHFP

I feel like this won't be enough to sort out the crazy fluctuations. I would turn the radiator up but then the top of the hide would get even hotter, while I have no idea if my snake will be smart enough to avoid trying to lay directly on the hide.
    Would a good rule of thumb be that if I can hold my hand on it, it won't cause the snake to burn? Or would it get burned at 39c, because it barely feels hot to the touch just rather warm.
    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, as our snake arrives tomorrow (had 2 weeks to sort all of this out but there were way more shipping delays for parts than I had planned including an obliterated resin hide, while his cold side hide still hasn't shown up after being ordered over a week ago)

P.s. ignore the gas struts, 60N was enough for the lid but I completely forgot the radiator was being attached to the ceiling, so now I need stronger ones
  • 02-11-2020, 12:44 PM
    MarkL1561
    Reptile radiator and heat mat not enough?
    Get a dimmer and/or a thermostat for your heating element and you should be fine. I think people often over complicate things. If you have the proper heating elements and thermostats it’s really simple. The hardest part about it is installation depending on the type of enclosure. It might take a little bit of tweaking dimmers and thermostats but once done you’re good. Just monitor with a temp gun and make changes as needed.

Also, keep in mind what types of elements you use. If it’s for ambient temperature then it won’t create a proper hot spot. You need a heat source for ambient and basking/hot spot. I’m not super familiar with what you’re using but it sounds similar to a rhp which is for ambient/air temp.

Another note... heat rises so hides and branches higher up in the tank will be hotter, that’s normal. Adjust it so there’s nowhere with an unsafe temp while providing the proper temps on the ground if it’s a terrestrial animal. Reptiles know how to thermoregulate so as long as there’s a gradient and space to do so they’ll be ok. Just make sure the ground temps are on point. I’m sure others will chime in to help you further. Good luck!
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 02-11-2020, 12:53 PM
    Kaeroe
    Re: Reptile radiator and heat mat not enough?
    I have a dimmer and pulse, it is the only rhp readily available here in the UK, I am just concerned about turning it up as the hide is only a few cm from the guard of the radiator, so it gets way hotter than the bottom of the cage, and if I move the thermostat probe further toward the substrate it gets even hotter at the top.

Would attaching a bulb of some kind to the top glass help at all? Like a dhp bulb?
  • 02-11-2020, 04:39 PM
    MarkL1561
    Re: Reptile radiator and heat mat not enough?
    Keep the rhp at a temperature that will not burn. The rhp is for your ambient temperature, the mat is for your hot spot. Probably turn down the rhp and turn up the mat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk