Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,248

1 members and 3,247 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Intestinal Blockage?

Printable View

• 10-11-2021, 10:48 AM
    Homebody
    Intestinal Blockage?
    My adult male (1500 g) ball python has had a large swelling near his cloaca for the past 4-6 weeks. He's passing urine and urates without difficulty. He's passing some fecal material. He's still eating. At what point do I need to take him to the vet?
  • 10-11-2021, 11:05 AM
    Bogertophis
    "Yesterday"! What if that was you?

And it doesn't sound to me like an "intestinal blockage" since he's still defecating*, but it could be a tumor or a cyst, or other serious issue.
    (*at least, not typical constipation nor a complete blockage)

In any case, I wouldn't ignore it as it's only likely to get worse. If your sink was stopped up, but a little water would still go down, would you wait to call a plumber until nothing went down the drain? Usually there's a better prognosis if you don't wait around.
  • 10-11-2021, 11:38 AM
    Erie_herps
    He needs to go to a vet NOW. If you don't already have one you can find one here: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661.
  • 10-17-2021, 10:14 AM
    Homebody
    Re: Intestinal Blockage?
    Unfortunately, I can't get an appointment until November 8th. I think the issue stems from my switching him to medium rats. He was handling small rats fine but my local supplier ran out, so I decided to try medium. He's back on small rats now. Here's a link to some pics (https://photos.app.goo.gl/vmevdSf5Za3UJiew9). I couldn't figure out how to upload them. Thanks to you all.
  • 10-17-2021, 10:30 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Unfortunately, I can't get an appointment until November 8th. I think the issue stems from my switching him to medium rats. He was handling small rats fine but my local supplier ran out, so I decided to try medium. He's back on small rats now. Here's a link to some pics (https://photos.app.goo.gl/vmevdSf5Za3UJiew9). I couldn't figure out how to upload them. Thanks to you all.

His body is seriously underweight- so that appears to be a tumor, most likely. :( He needs vet care very badly. :( That's NOT a minor "swelling" & he's no doubt in a lot of discomfort -pain. Why so long for an appointment? Did you tell the vet's office WHY you need help for your pet NOW?
  • 10-17-2021, 11:21 AM
    Homebody
    I made the appointment online. I also sent pictures. I'll follow up with him to see if I can get an earlier appointment. Thanks.
  • 10-17-2021, 11:33 AM
    Bogertophis
    I wonder if your vet looked at the pictures- I would ask if they were received. Does this vet have a lot of experience with snakes? I hope so, this is not a minor issue.
  • 10-17-2021, 01:27 PM
    Homebody
    I doubt he's seen the pictures. I'll follow up with him on Monday when his office opens. Thanks again.
  • 10-17-2021, 01:28 PM
    Erie_herps
    I'm not going to sugarcoat it, without vet care I highly doubt your snake will survive until November 8th. You either need an earlier appointment or a different vet. You could see if a university by you has a way to treat it, I've heard only good things about exotic care at universities.
  • 10-19-2021, 07:12 PM
    Homebody
    I got an appointment for tomorrow, October 20th. Also, he pooped. The turd is white. I saved it for the vet. The swelling is still there. I'll let you know what the vet says. Thanks to all for your concern.