Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,504

2 members and 1,502 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Stacking Exo-Terras

Printable View

• 09-13-2018, 10:23 PM
    ErostheSnake
    Stacking Exo-Terras
    Hi everyone!

I've been lurking for awhile and finally have a question....I currently have my BP in a 36x18x12 Exo-Terra. Tomorrow I am picking up a 2 yr old albino :P that is housed in the same thing. Is it possible to stack the Exo-Terras? I saw a picture of it being done, but the tanks had a more square footprint and got me thinking that made it more possible, as far as stability goes.

Thank you!
  • 09-13-2018, 10:26 PM
    Sunnieskys
    What are you using as a heat source as a hot spot? Uth are only for belly heat and don't heat a cage.
  • 09-13-2018, 10:47 PM
    ErostheSnake
    Re: Stacking Exo-Terras
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    What are you using as a heat source as a hot spot? Uth are only for belly heat and don't heat a cage.

I am using a UTH connected to a thermostat. The ambient air in the room keeps the ambient in the enclosure above 80°.
  • 09-13-2018, 11:15 PM
    Sunnieskys
    I would use small pieces of styrofoam the. To stack and leave room for air circulation from the screen top.
  • 09-14-2018, 08:38 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Right away, definitely not. You want to follow proper quarantine practices. But after quarantine is complete then I don't see why not. As long as proper temps and humidity are provided it should be fine.
  • 09-14-2018, 09:02 AM
    ErostheSnake
    Quote:

Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Right away, definitely not. You want to follow proper quarantine practices. But after quarantine is complete then I don't see why not. As long as proper temps and humidity are provided it should be fine.

I was just wondering if the glass can sustain the weight of more glass on top of it. I think it’ll make me nervous enough that I’ll just come up with a different setup plan. Haha
  • 09-14-2018, 09:06 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ErostheSnake View Post
    I was just wondering if the glass can sustain the weight of more glass on top of it. I think it’ll make me nervous enough that I’ll just come up with a different setup plan. Haha

I honestly think it'll be fine. I've seen enclosures with rocks, dumbbells, all kinds of weight on top.

Do you have a quarantine plan in place?
  • 09-14-2018, 09:27 AM
    ErostheSnake
    Quote:

Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I honestly think it'll be fine. I've seen enclosures with rocks, dumbbells, all kinds of weight on top.

Do you have a quarantine plan in place?

I didn’t, but I do now. I will keep the new guy in a separate room for 90 days. Separate utensils, separate food, etc. I’ll handle my new guy after my other guy. However, I’ve only had my normal for a month.....could I not treat them both as if I’m QT? Start them both from day 1 today, as if I had a QT room and brought a new one into QT?
  • 09-14-2018, 11:21 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

I didn’t, but I do now. I will keep the new guy in a separate room for 90 days. Separate utensils, separate food, etc. I’ll handle my new guy after my other guy. However, I’ve only had my normal for a month.....could I not treat them both as if I’m QT? Start them both from day 1 today, as if I had a QT room and brought a new one into QT?

I would keep them seperate. The 90 days will fly by. It'll be a few weeks before you should be handling the new snake anyway.

I'm glad you're planning to QT now. Chances are all would have been fine, but why chance things?
  • 09-14-2018, 11:52 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Honestly it would make me nervous too, but while I'm familiar with them, I've never owned an Exo-terra. I mostly use glass tanks made for water, they are far sturdier.
    I don't doubt the quality of Exo-terras, but adding that much vertical weight to a "terrarium" not designed for it doesn't seem like a good idea to me either...trust your gut. Failure wouldn't be pretty...