Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,229

1 members and 3,228 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 03-12-2018, 02:26 AM
    dylan815
    chicks for retics (baby chickens lol)
    so my local "bomgars" has baby chicks. They are only like $1.50 a piece which is super cheap compared to rats. I have heard of pleanty of people who feed their retics chicks and chickens.... what do you all think? would it be okay to feed my retic chicks? I guess i would be worried that they had some sort of bird flu or something. I would never want anything baby to happen to my dude marvin. I'm way to invest lol. Thanks for your hyelp!
  • 03-12-2018, 10:32 AM
    Gio
    Re: chicks for retics (baby chickens lol)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dylan815 View Post
    so my local "bomgars" has baby chicks. They are only like $1.50 a piece which is super cheap compared to rats. I have heard of pleanty of people who feed their retics chicks and chickens.... what do you all think? would it be okay to feed my retic chicks? I guess i would be worried that they had some sort of bird flu or something. I would never want anything baby to happen to my dude marvin. I'm way to invest lol. Thanks for your hyelp!

Nothing wrong with chicks. I use quail.

Bird Flu is not a concern. Variety in the diet is quite healthy.
  • 03-12-2018, 10:43 AM
    bcr229
    Snakes can certainly eat baby chickens, quail, etc. Retics can eat whole adult chickens, I have a friend who sells eggs and who raises free-range chickens for human consumption and I get her adult culls as snake food.

I wouldn't put your snake solely on a diet of chicks to prevent him from getting stuck on them.

Also if you can find rabbit kits or fuzzies you should start offering those when your snake is big enough to take them. While it's rare some retics get stuck on rats and would rather eat 4-5 jumbo rats than one big rabbit.
  • 03-12-2018, 03:15 PM
    dylan815
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Snakes can certainly eat baby chickens, quail, etc. Retics can eat whole adult chickens, I have a friend who sells eggs and who raises free-range chickens for human consumption and I get her adult culls as snake food.

I wouldn't put your snake solely on a diet of chicks to prevent him from getting stuck on them.

Also if you can find rabbit kits or fuzzies you should start offering those when your snake is big enough to take them. While it's rare some retics get stuck on rats and would rather eat 4-5 jumbo rats than one big rabbit.

while i have heard of them getting stuck on rats or something i don't think it will be an issue with my guy, he will take a swing at literally anything when he's in food mode.
  • 03-12-2018, 03:18 PM
    dylan815
    also, how would you humanely kill chicks? My guy hasn't ate anything that was alive in a few months.
  • 03-12-2018, 03:35 PM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dylan815 View Post
    also, how would you humanely kill chicks? My guy hasn't ate anything that was alive in a few months.

CO2 chamber. A lot of places will sell them frozen though if you want to buy online, but they're not that cheap.
  • 03-12-2018, 04:07 PM
    dylan815
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    CO2 chamber. A lot of places will sell them frozen though if you want to buy online, but they're not that cheap.

they are only like $1 a piece at bomgars here (kinda a farm store).
  • 03-12-2018, 06:08 PM
    Valyrian
    Salmonella is a concern when feeding fowl. And I'm not sure about the US but here in the UK all chickens must be immunised by law if they're sold. If you guys have that too it should be ok.

I've also read that chicks don't contain as many nutrients as rodents of the same size and that they produce runny foul smelling feces. So that may be a factor too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  • 03-12-2018, 08:23 PM
    Sauzo
    Like mentioned, variety is the spice of life. I feed my guy chicks, quails, rats, rabbits and guinea pigs. He is too big for chicks now though. It's true, poultry isnt going to pack the punch of a rabbit or guinea pig but it still is good for a change of pace.
  • 03-12-2018, 10:54 PM
    Gio
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Like mentioned, variety is the spice of life. I feed my guy chicks, quails, rats, rabbits and guinea pigs. He is too big for chicks now though. It's true, poultry isnt going to pack the punch of a rabbit or guinea pig but it still is good for a change of pace.

Right on!

Variety and different sizes and feeding intervals.

It's not rocket science if you look into the biology of your animal.

I wouldn't be concerned about Salmonella in the slightest. Snakes will sometimes eat dead and rotting prey if they are in a bind.

The amount of acids in the digestive system of a snake will overcome almost anything.

I've fed my dogs RAW food and bones for nearly 20 years and have never had any situation with chicken to warrant concern with them.

Mix it up and enjoy!