Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

3 members and 3,321 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
  • 10-21-2019, 06:06 PM
    WrongPython
    Re: What to get - BI - Male or Female?
    If I were in your boots, I'd pick the boa with the best temperament, then size, then color. More importantly, I'd do that through the lens of what I want right now and what I'd still want/be willing to deal with 20+ years from now. Ask yourself (and Katie, too!): what would the you of twenty years in the future want on top of the rest of your collection? What type of life do you want twenty years in the future, and how would the prospective boa fit in? I've found that the answers to these questions can sometimes surprise you.

I'm sure you'll make a wise decision either way. Go with your gut, don't feel rushed, and pick that sunglow of your dreams! :gj:
  • 10-21-2019, 08:51 PM
    Gio
    If you want a female, go with the female option.

If I'm not mistaken, Jeff makes cage extensions and if she grew larger than expected you could pop on the extension.

Boas are fairly consistent in temperament, generally and things can change with age no matter how they start out. A mellow snake at the start can get a bit sketchy later. BCI boas seem to be less touchy than the BCC types, but again everything varies from one individual to the next.

My retic being a wonderful example of starting out placid and turning into a jackass at 3+ years old.

That male looks awesome though.

Go with your instinct!
  • 10-22-2019, 01:27 PM
    Reinz
    I’m in the camp with the majority as well. Best of luck with your decision. :)
  • 10-22-2019, 06:30 PM
    ballpythonsrock2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    If you want a female, go with the female option.

If I'm not mistaken, Jeff makes cage extensions and if she grew larger than expected you could pop on the extension.

Boas are fairly consistent in temperament, generally and things can change with age no matter how they start out. A mellow snake at the start can get a bit sketchy later. BCI boas seem to be less touchy than the BCC types, but again everything varies from one individual to the next.

My retic being a wonderful example of starting out placid and turning into a jackass at 3+ years old.

That male looks awesome though.

Go with your instinct!

I totally agree with this statement by Gio. I wouldn't even worry about present temperament, since a mellow snake could later turn aggressive and I've heard young boa's can start nippy and turn into sweet hearts. So I would go by size and pick the male if you want a smaller one. OR go by which ever is your visual favorite, regardless of the sex of it as long as you don't care that the female will get larger than the male.

If you prefer a smaller version and the male has the best visual that will make your choice pretty clear and easy.
  • 10-22-2019, 06:39 PM
    Bogertophis
    I've only dealt with one major boa, a BCI, that was an absolute terror as a yearling, & with my patience, became a totally trustworthy bundle of sweetness, so I'm one
    that doesn't put TOO much stock in how a snake starts out, even though I put "personality" way above appearance & color. You can usually improve their behavior
    but it's hard to put the genii back in the bottle if a snake gets huge, lol...& they don't always stay the same as their parents either, any more than we do. Glad it's
    not for me to decide. :D
  • 11-03-2019, 11:10 PM
    SunshineWalker
    I mean there is nothing saying you "have" to fill the tank. You could just leave it empty... like forever, or move some of your reptile stuff to storage there...

Just saying.... ;)

xoxo
  • 11-03-2019, 11:25 PM
    Danger noodles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshinewalker View Post
    i mean there is nothing saying you "have" to fill the tank. You could just leave it empty... Like forever, or move some of your reptile stuff to storage there...

Just saying.... ;)

xoxo

how dare u say something like that!!
  • 11-03-2019, 11:30 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SunshineWalker View Post
    I mean there is nothing saying you "have" to fill the tank. You could just leave it empty... like forever, or move some of your reptile stuff to storage there...

Just saying.... ;)

xoxo

:rofl: But seriously, it might be nice to wait...no rush to fill it. (FYI, I have 4 empty tanks myself, they've been empty for a long time now.)