Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,806

1 members and 2,805 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
  • 09-13-2017, 12:23 PM
    L.West
    Re: Help getting rid of the smell..
    I am surprised to see this post - even when I had a room full of snakes I never had any odors whatsoever. I primarily use paper substrate and the whole cage gets changed out each and every poop or urine.

I would switch to the Uline indented kraft paper to ensure you are catching every pooper as it happens. Something must be lingering in the cage for it to smell like that and that can't be healthy for your snake either.
  • 09-13-2017, 12:26 PM
    PythonBabes
    So...you guys are saying that snake poop doesn't stink ??
  • 09-13-2017, 12:38 PM
    SiXandSeven8ths
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PythonBabes View Post

Shouldn't be that bad. I have 2 and even if they both poop at the same time I don't have an odor as bad you describe. I don't even smell it until I open the enclosure (both have their own AP T8), if I even smell it. Spot clean and good to go. Now, my 2 year old toddler (human of course), she can stink up the whole house and it lingers.

Side note: I use Reptichip and it absorbs liquid and odor quite well.
  • 09-13-2017, 12:40 PM
    Sunnieskys
    I have never smelled it in any of my enclosures. I'm sure if I picked it up and sniffed it it would lol
  • 09-13-2017, 12:43 PM
    PythonBabes
    Well, as far as I'm concerned, a snake's poop stinks, don't really know what's going on with you people saying that it doesn't lol. Very similar to dog poop, stinky.
  • 09-13-2017, 12:48 PM
    Sunnieskys
    Could be anything. Maybe you have a more sensitive nose. Maybe it's the food, digestion, temps, humidity, really anything. Sorry us people don't have stinky poos from our snakes. Or stellar noses to smell it.

in the two years at my job I have had dozens of snakes including balls, Kings, corns and rainbow boas. If I didnt clean weekly I "might" get a hint of pee. Never poop and that's with 4 snakes to one enclosure. (Yes I know, I know...that many snakes in one enclosure..I have no control over that at my job.)
  • 09-13-2017, 12:53 PM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PythonBabes View Post

Of course it does, until it is cleaned up. After a retic bowel movement my whole house may end up stinking.

Now that said, it's not as bad as walking into a home with a cat litter box but the furry felines have also used the carpet, walls, furniture... :puke:

Note: if your snake's urine or feces suddenly starts to smell really rank and there hasn't been a change in feeder types, that can indicate a problem with the internal organs and you should take it to a vet.
  • 09-13-2017, 01:09 PM
    PythonBabes
    Okay, thank you one person gets what I'm saying. The poop stinks before it is cleaned.

What I'm getting is that the other people are saying that their snake's poop has NO smell, which is confusing.
  • 09-13-2017, 01:26 PM
    SDA
    Mine's poop has little to no smell at all. It's actually a game to try and find all his poop because there is no odor announcing it. He also never has runny or non solid poop and I clean out all waste and remove wet substrate as soon as I can. Never have had an issue in years of owning him.
  • 09-13-2017, 01:42 PM
    PythonBabes
    Maybe I'm just more sensitive to smells. As soon as he goes I can smell it and I've mentioned it and had other people in the same room asking me what smell am I talking about haha.

Same with how I usually can't stand to be in someone's house who has a cat or multiple cata, even of they use all those fancy odor blocking litters, I can still smell it and it'll bother me. Good thing my cats go outside like my dogs lol.