Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,096

2 members and 3,094 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

once again i need help

Printable View

• 05-19-2017, 09:33 AM
    jodidelisio
    once again i need help
    my baby burm has been skipping meals now she already skipped twice (2 weeks) but she is doing fine and her weight just goes down by 2 gram
    Should i be worried? what should i do to get her back on feeding rat again? everytime i offer a rat she will be very scared of the rat doesn't even tried to bite just hissing around
  • 05-19-2017, 09:57 AM
    L.West
    Re: once again i need help
    Are you offering a live rat or f/t?? If you are currently offering live - I would try a f/t rat instead. Then if she doesn't immediately eat the rat you can leave it in over night with the hope that she will take it down in the privacy of darkness. Just a thought. Can't hurt to try.
  • 05-22-2017, 09:04 AM
    jodidelisio
    i have tried that as well and using frozen thawed didn't make any difference i have also tried braining the rat still same result i have tried leaving both overnight and it still remains the same (even the rat is already hard, i give it as an extra snack for my blood and in my blood takes the rat right away) considering my burm is still a sub adult (6 months old) i do worry about it unless its a 4 foot snake i wouldn't worry very much thanks anyway for replying
  • 05-22-2017, 12:48 PM
    Alexiel03
    What are the enclosure temps, humidity and size? When mine was small she refused to eat because her cage was too large and her temps were off a little, after adjusting that she ate on schedule again.
    Also if feeding live rats don't leave it in unattended because the rat can do severe harm or kill the snake if it won't eat it.

Sent from my LGL39C using Tapatalk
  • 05-22-2017, 11:48 PM
    KWAddict
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexiel03 View Post
    What are the enclosure temps, humidity and size? When mine was small she refused to eat because her cage was too large and her temps were off a little, after adjusting that she ate on schedule again.
    Also if feeding live rats don't leave it in unattended because the rat can do severe harm or kill the snake if it won't eat it.

^--- This! I was actually just talking to another keeper today who had a 12' retic that wouldn't eat in a 6' enclosure. His feeding response was great whenever he was placed in a 4' enclosure. You wouldn't think that 2' would make a difference but apparently it can!
  • 05-23-2017, 10:10 AM
    jodidelisio
    her cage has a temperature of 85 degrees (that is just how the weather are) i do provide a hide for her and she is currently in a 50 cm x 30 cm x 40 cm enclosure is it too large for her? however i just moved her to this enclosure and humidity is above 60% her last enclosure was much smaller which is 30 cm x 25 cm x 20 cm and she still shows the same attitude towards the food
  • 05-23-2017, 10:13 AM
    jodidelisio
    I even tried with the smaller enclosure just to test this out but still no luck anyway thanks for replying!
  • 05-26-2017, 12:35 PM
    jodidelisio
    Problem solved
    Thank you everyone for your advice she has gone 2 weeks without food and now i understand her feeding schedule and she already started eating again using the methods you guys give me (one hour after dark and feed in dark place) she went right for it!! so happy about this thanks everyonee