Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,228

3 members and 3,225 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 09-13-2019, 06:32 PM
    Bogertophis
    Re: Do ball pythons have bad days?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by siwueofk View Post
    Well I'm a medical student, so it's not TMI for me lol, quite mild talk actually.

Boooo I was hoping so much for a chill calm snake.

Cool, we need more people in medicine, all areas. :gj: & I was only teasing, not TMI for me either, just remember we have all ages here, "family forum". ;)

I can remember when my BCI was young (about 1.5 years old) she went thru a "phase" for a couple months...like "hormonal"? Who knows, maybe that's part of it too? Don't assume that your young snake will always stay the same personality. You can usually make a BIG difference...I've seen it for myself, many times. No better example than that BCI- got her as a nasty biter, a yearling that changed hands multiple times with others giving up & not wanting her. Within about 2 months with me, she stopped trying to bite, because she finally understood she was safe with me- there are methods. In all the years she was mine, I never got one bite from her, & she was "face-tame"(meaning I could touch faces with her, no problem ever). So no one can tell me that snakes can't learn, or that they can't overcome their instinctive fear. You just need patience & empathy. And sometimes the "tough cases" are just that much more rewarding, when you can finally "get through to them". :snake:
  • 09-13-2019, 07:04 PM
    siwueofk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Cool, we need more people in medicine, all areas. :gj: & I was only teasing, not TMI for me either, just remember we have all ages here, "family forum". ;)

I can remember when my BCI was young (about 1.5 years old) she went thru a "phase" for a couple months...like "hormonal"? Who knows, maybe that's part of it too? Don't assume that your young snake will always stay the same personality. You can usually make a BIG difference...I've seen it for myself, many times. No better example than that BCI- got her as a nasty biter, a yearling that changed hands multiple times with others giving up & not wanting her. Within about 2 months with me, she stopped trying to bite, because she finally understood she was safe with me- there are methods. In all the years she was mine, I never got one bite from her, & she was "face-tame"(meaning I could touch faces with her, no problem ever). So no one can tell me that snakes can't learn, or that they can't overcome their instinctive fear. You just need patience & empathy. And sometimes the "tough cases" are just that much more rewarding, when you can finally "get through to them". :snake:

perhaps if we talked about things more often that are a natural normal biological occurrence, it wouldn’t need to be such a touchy subject?????

Anyway, yeah I’ve been very patient and working with him but he still has maintained his underlying timidness, and I just hope that it will eventually go away. Every time he hissed at me, I feel so bad. He was a real jerk today.
  • 09-13-2019, 08:47 PM
    Valyndris
    Crowley has some off days, he doesn't change in attitude but you can just tell when he's miserable. One time he ate and decided he'd climb his branches and pretty much try to show off that he was fine to come out. After about an hour he has in his hide with his head sticking out and I could just see it in his face that he regretted doing all those branch missions. I know snakes faces barley move but I don't know if it's just me but I can tell his mood by facial expressions, hope I'm not crazy for thinking so. Well anyway, he stayed in his hide for 2 days after that then for a long time since that day he stopped going in his branches after eating and went straight to his hide, I think he learned his lesson.
  • 09-13-2019, 09:11 PM
    siwueofk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    Crowley has some off days, he doesn't change in attitude but you can just tell when he's miserable. One time he ate and decided he'd climb his branches and pretty much try to show off that he was fine to come out. After about an hour he has in his hide with his head sticking out and I could just see it in his face that he regretted doing all those branch missions. I know snakes faces barley move but I don't know if it's just me but I can tell his mood by facial expressions, hope I'm not crazy for thinking so. Well anyway, he stayed in his hide for 2 days after that then for a long time since that day he stopped going in his branches after eating and went straight to his hide, I think he learned his lesson.

Yeah today my boy was really really weird. Like as soon as I opened the lid, he started twitching and trying to hide and started freaking out. Normally if I open the lid, he'll stick his head and go "what are this?" :confusd::(
  • 09-13-2019, 09:16 PM
    FollowTheSun
    Funny the comparison between periods/hormones and bad-mood snakes. When my snakes are getting ready to shed, I always say they are having their snake periods.
  • 09-13-2019, 09:25 PM
    siwueofk
    Lol honestly the mechanism is probably very very similar.
  • 09-13-2019, 10:26 PM
    Luvyna
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    Funny the comparison between periods/hormones and bad-mood snakes. When my snakes are getting ready to shed, I always say they are having their snake periods.

Lol I agree with this analogy! My BP always seems kinda miserable when he goes into shed. All that loose skin and the cloudy eyes can't be comfortable. He is never hissy or grumpy but he becomes very slow-moving and timid. He'll flinch and bury his head if I reach for him when he's in shed.

I totally believe that BPs have moods. Sometimes mine will be very active and eager to explore, and will crawl up to my face and on my arms and smell everything. Other times, he'll be sleepy and inactive, curl up, and go to sleep. Sometimes he is calm and curious when I reach into take him out, other times he obviously doesn't want to be touched and hides his head or jerks away. I'm sure animals have days when they feel energized and content and days when they feel bleh just like us.

OP, hope your little snake goes back to a more mellow state. He's still young and has plenty of time to calm down. It's also possible you smelled different from some scent you picked up during the day, a dog you pet, a new shampoo...etc. the day he got hissy. I've noticed that my BP seems to be unable to recognize me if I smell different.
  • 09-14-2019, 06:28 PM
    Valyndris
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post

I call mine time of the month, for my snake it's time of the month and a half. :P