Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,931

1 members and 2,930 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 12-27-2018, 06:08 PM
    RickyNY
    17 foot Burmese python caught on the Everglades Necropsy
    Anyone seen this? My wife found it today and I really appreciate her telling me about it. I was a bit sad seeing they were all dead but we all know they are an invasive species and these guys are just doing their job. It shows how majestic this beautiful animals are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm0jgSoD27M
  • 12-27-2018, 06:10 PM
    MR Snakes
    Very sad indeed. Too bad so many turn snakes loose in the Everglades.
  • 12-27-2018, 06:18 PM
    Sonny1318
    Re: 17 foot Burmese python caught on the Everglades Necropsy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    Very sad indeed. Too bad so many turn snakes loose in the Everglades.

I believe that might be some of the problem, but If I remember correctly I thought a couple of breeders facilities got hit by a hurricane a while back, and a lot of snakes got loose as a result. I pretty sure you can google it, or another member might remember more. Sorry sick today and the meds ain’t helping. I believe it might have even been due to the way the breeders set the facilities up, construction wise that is. My 1.5 cents. Lmao
  • 12-27-2018, 06:22 PM
    RickyNY
    That's what I read also Sonny, I don't think just people releasing them into the Everglades would have cause the population they have now. I don't know.
  • 12-27-2018, 06:24 PM
    MR Snakes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    I believe that might be some of the problem, but If I remember correctly I thought a couple of breeders facilities got hit by a hurricane a while back, and a lot of snakes got loose as a result. I pretty sure you can google it, or another member might remember more. Sorry sick today and the meds ain’t helping. I believe it might have even been due to the way the breeders set the facilities up, construction wise that is. My 1.5 cents. Lmao

I do remember that also. Most likely a combination. Get well Sonny!
  • 12-27-2018, 06:45 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

I do remember that also. Most likely a combination. Get well Sonny!

I recall that too, it was many years ago. I think some got established that way & other escapes plus intentional releases followed to compound the problem.

Majestic creatures but non-natives play havoc on our natives...sad they are killed for being in the wrong place. Isn't it funny how we tolerate far more numerous
    non-native invasive species if they have fur & say "meow"? Whoever decided that letting your pets roam was a good idea but only for one kind of pet? :confusd:

Hope you feel better soon, Sonny! :sick:
  • 12-27-2018, 08:15 PM
    MR Snakes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I recall that too, it was many years ago. I think some got established that way & other escapes plus intentional releases followed to compound the problem.

Majestic creatures but non-natives play havoc on our natives...sad they are killed for being in the wrong place. Isn't it funny how we tolerate far more numerous
    non-native invasive species if they have fur & say "meow"? Whoever decided that letting your pets roam was a good idea but only for one kind of pet? :confusd:

Hope you feel better soon, Sonny! :sick:

Don't get me started. They continually ate the fish and frogs out of my home made pond. :rage::rage::rage:
  • 12-27-2018, 08:23 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Don't get me started....

Same here...:rage:
  • 12-27-2018, 08:44 PM
    AbsoluteApril
    Hurricane Andrew (1992 Cat 5) ripped through Florida and destroyed some wholesale warehouses and breeding facilities, many non-natives escaped because of it and is thought to be the main source for the established burmese populations.

Thank you for sharing the vid, always interesting, that was a good amount of eggs! As much as it sucks seeing a beautiful animal killed just for being in the wrong place, invasives do need to be removed from the environment.
  • 12-28-2018, 01:39 AM
    the_rotten1
    It's very sad. I can see why people are afraid of them. If you see a snake that big and know how many eggs it can lay, it's not difficult to see how they could overrun the place. I like how the conservationalist emphasized that they don't view people as food, but unfortunately they are a real threat to the native wildlife.

Their greatest liability may be that they're simply too good at being predators. I love Burms and hate to see them die, but I don't want the native wildlife in Florida to die out either.