Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,284

2 members and 1,282 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Hides, my way

Printable View

• 04-01-2009, 09:50 PM
    HypoPita
    Re: Hides, my way
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Flowerpot saucers are about $0.70 at home depot / lowes
    Plastic bowls are about $2.00 for 5 at Walmart
    Cat litter pans are about $1.90 at Walmart
    The zilla hides are less than $5

Really?? Those are a lot cheaper than the exact ones, from the exact same places by my house :(

I use the cat litter pans with my two biguns. They love em, and it fits perfectly on one end of my rack system :)
  • 04-05-2009, 09:46 PM
    ItsMichael805
    im thinking of using the pot pan, thanks for the ideas.
  • 04-15-2009, 12:14 PM
    fallupinreverse
    I can't seem to find those Zilla hides anywhere, do they still sell those?
  • 04-15-2009, 12:31 PM
    mainbutter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by janeothejungle View Post
    Just wanted to add that the few times I've cut out bowls, etc to make hides or nest boxes, I always use a lighter and burn/melt the edge of the plastic a tiny bit so that it cools smoothly and leaves no sharp edges. And no, you should not burn the edge and put it back in the cage immediately, let it cool. I'll try and get a pic up later.

Cheers,
    Kat

Another tip for people along the same lines: Soldering irons are great for cutting plastic. Just do it somewhere ventilated, burning plastic should not be inhaled.
  • 05-11-2009, 03:50 PM
    Dundee85
    These are great hides, and reasonably priced. Better than Zillia IMO

http://www.reptilebasics.com/Hide-Boxes-p-1-c-282.html
  • 06-20-2009, 04:10 AM
    Qetu
    heck yeah thanks! im about to get my first snake and i was trying to think of what to use lol. you just saved my wallet XD
  • 07-18-2009, 07:59 PM
    DM1975
    I use drawer organizers out of the kitchen wear department in Wal Mart for my babies/juvies. they are about a buck a piece. Anything bigger I use litter boxes that Wal Mart sells for about a buck twenty. They have three sizes I believe.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...s/IMG_0556.jpg
  • 08-19-2009, 08:58 AM
    travy4911
    You guys are going to laugh, but I use the plastic coffee cans they just came out with...Washed them good to get the smell out and then cut them in half so that I have two hides with one can.
  • 08-24-2009, 09:56 AM
    mousch
    I get my hides at the hardware store!

They're PVC LB Access fittings, you find them in the electrical aisle. They have sizes from teeny wiggleworm to huge fat BP (but the biggest size is special order... and kind of expensive!)

http://j.photos.cx/imagerequest-44b.aspx

in the picture it's "upside down". Take off that screw-on panel and put it down in the cage. I find my snake enjoys entering/exiting through both top and bottom at times... sometimes he comes out the top and goes in the bottom! :P
  • 09-14-2009, 05:06 PM
    Angelique
    Quote:

Originally Posted by janeothejungle View Post
    For the extroverted youg 'uns I add carboard tubes out of the toilet paper roll in addition to the cave hide.
    Cheers,
    Kat

I thought i was the only one using cardboard. They also love the paper towel rolls, chrismas paper wraping rolls, and newspaper rolls. My 4 ft BP chooses the rolls over her hides. She will also rock the whole tube with her tail, while most of her body is inside the tube.