Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,149

3 members and 3,146 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
  • 01-20-2021, 04:38 PM
    Gocntry
    Want to try new substrate from aspen to ????
    I used aspen for a while now, supply is almost out, would like to switch to something new

What is the preferred substrate, This will be for my Boa and BP's

Repti-bark
    Forest Floor
    Eco Earth
    or a combination of the above??

any opinions on those or one I haven't mentioned??

@Bogertophis I believe you have said you use Carefresh bedding? Though I could be wrong

I ended up with a few bags of the brown natural Carefresh bedding I was going to use for my Corn snake. I guessing that would be safe and he would like to be able to burrow around in it?
    He burrows in the Aspen now, but ends up matting it down and I have to fluff it up now and then so he can burrow again

Thanks in advance for any advice!
  • 01-20-2021, 05:56 PM
    Hugsplox
    Re: Want to try new substrate from aspen to ????
    I really like forest floor and use it for my BP and crested geckos. Holds humidity well without having to soak it, and it's saved me a lot of headaches helping maintain it in a glass enclosure. The only downside is it's a little hard to see snake poop, but as long as you're on top of cleaning that shouldn't be an issue.
  • 01-20-2021, 07:31 PM
    Bogertophis
    I'm keeping mostly colubrids & yes, I use Carefresh, though it's fairly dense now, so I mix it 50:50 with clean paper shreds (my own business papers shredded- adds "fluff"). I also rely on UTH, and the looser nature of the mixture allows heat to rise easily. FYI, I first line the tank floor with white paper towels (one layer of Bounty)- this makes it easier to roll up & toss when needed, and only my young FL rat snakes ever try to dive underneath the paper towels. (they're "trouble-makers" LOL) Some of my snakes also have humid hides with either damp moss, Reptile Prime, or damp orchid bark- & I live in a fairly humid state also. This is what works well for me & all my snakes, but it may be different for you & yours. That's okay too.
  • 01-20-2021, 09:19 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    I love Reptile Prime and Reptichip is really good too.
  • 01-21-2021, 09:32 AM
    Husbandry.Pro
    We use Coco here....super easy to spot clean, keeps smell down, great for humidity. Give reptichip a try, or CocoBlox
  • 01-21-2021, 01:10 PM
    Bogertophis
    BTW, this question is under 'general herp' so I just want to add that your choice of substrate should be based on what you're keeping- whether or not it needs a more humid home. I keep mostly colubrids, so for me, the paper/Carefresh mix works with modifications as needed. My Aussie spotted python is one that needs & uses a large humid hide, for example, & that seems to be enough for her- I've had her without issues for 11 years or so now.
  • 01-21-2021, 08:02 PM
    Reptile$ 4 Life
    I like mixing eco-earth or reptile prime with repti-chips or coco blox.
  • 01-21-2021, 09:11 PM
    jmcrook
    I use either aspen or coco husk chips depending on the season. Mississippi is a humid place so aspen really works fine for me year round with maybe a light cage misting once a day during shed cycles. When I do use coconut chips I get ProCoco because it’s basically the exact same thing as reptichip at half the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk