Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,030

1 members and 3,029 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

welcome home, Wavvy

Printable View

• 05-04-2018, 12:29 AM
    ROSIEonFIRE
    Re: welcome home, Wavvy
    Haha I think u picked it. The main reason I decided to get a crested gecko all those years ago instead of any other kind of reptile was because the care requirements are so .ridiculously. simple. They don't need supplemental lighting, live at a warm room temp, have a MRP so you feed the same thing all the time, just add water. There's nothing to it. Honestly after all these years I dont even have a therm or hydrometer in there anymore because you know if it's too dry of you see stuck shed and I haven't seen any stuck shed in YEARS and once again, warm room temp. Unless you're going to breed them there's really nothing more to it.

The only other thing I MIGHT recommend is to keep some entamoeba meds handy. it's the only disease that cresties are susceptible to and if they get it they can die within a few days. I actually had a second crestie many years ago. He was GORGEOUS, his name was Aldo. I wish I had a picture of him. I only had him for a couple of months. One day I looked in his tank and he was so skinny all of a sudden! I immediately ordered the entamoeba meds overnight from pangaea but he was dead the next morning before the meds got to me. If I'd been able to treat him right away he might have made it.

Thanks for the nod but there's just not that much to created gecko care. That's one of the things that makes them so awesome! East peasy! But certainly let me know if u have any questions.

Ps I dont know that YouTube channel
  • 05-04-2018, 12:49 AM
    tttaylorrr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ROSIEonFIRE View Post
    Haha I think u picked it. The main reason I decided to get a crested gecko all those years ago instead of any other kind of reptile was because the care requirements are so .ridiculously. simple. They don't need supplemental lighting, live at a warm room temp, have a MRP so you feed the same thing all the time, just add water. There's nothing to it. Honestly after all these years I dont even have a therm or hydrometer in there anymore because you know if it's too dry of you see stuck shed and I haven't seen any stuck shed in YEARS and once again, warm room temp. Unless you're going to breed them there's really nothing more to it.

The only other thing I MIGHT recommend is to keep some entamoeba meds handy. it's the only disease that cresties are susceptible to and if they get it they can die within a few days. I actually had a second crestie many years ago. He was GORGEOUS, his name was Aldo. I wish I had a picture of him. I only had him for a couple of months. One day I looked in his tank and he was so skinny all of a sudden! I immediately ordered the entamoeba meds overnight from pangaea but he was dead the next morning before the meds got to me. If I'd been able to treat him right away he might have made it.

Thanks for the nod but there's just not that much to created gecko care. That's one of the things that makes them so awesome! East peasy! But certainly let me know if u have any questions.

Ps I dont know that YouTube channel

thank you so much for the informative reply. i haven't seen you much on the forum (apologies if i've happened to miss you) but i appreciate your posts on my thread very much! it's so funny: my first reptile was my male ball python Yellow, who will be 4 this sept. ball pythons have pretty critical husbandry requirements compared to most "starting" reptiles, so with 6 ball pythons and 1 crested gecko, i feel like i'm neglecting my crestie somehow without thermostats and heating!

one thing i've learned about cresties from her channel is that bugs are pretty important to their diet. however, the roaches we feed (as in "domestic" roach feeders) aren't as "healthy" as their wild counter parts, i.e. the natural diet they consume. do you have an opinion on this? should i be feeding bugs on a regular basis?

again, thank you so much for your informative replies; i'm so new, and you have (minimum) 13 years experience! i value your input. [emoji4]
  • 05-04-2018, 10:03 AM
    ROSIEonFIRE
    Interesting question. When I first got boogie and was spending alot of time on crested gecko forums the advice was not to feed bugs as more than an occasional treat because the CGD was a formulated, complete diet. The thinking was that if you were feeding anything additional regularly than you were unbalancing the diet. I do not feed bugs almost at all and obviously boogie is quite old so it seems to be working fine.

When she says that the bigs aren't as 'healthy' as the bugs we feed she is basically making the core argument against feeding bugs. The reason all the best breeder advice was to only feed cgd was because we cannot mimic the variety they would get in the wild ourselves but cgd is carefully formulated to meet their actual dietary requirements. Also most of our feeder bugs tend to be higher in fat and lower in various trace minerals than wild bugs would be.

That being said I was just looking at the pangea crestie forum, which used to be THE forum for crestie care and breeding and alot of people were talking about feeding bugs in a more serious way. I dont really trust those folks because I do not know them that well and honestly it seems like the forum has gone downhill, it only has a general CG chat where there used to be a different forum for every subject.

Based on everything I know you shouldn't feed bugs on the regs but it seems like folks are having success with that method. My style of best practices is kind of a 'whatever works' thing. Hope that helps.

Ps I dont have any ball pythons! I have always wanted one but dont think I'll be getting on anytime soon since I decided to get a parrotlet instead.
  • 05-04-2018, 11:12 AM
    zina10
    Opinions always change. New info comes out. More research gets done. Esp. with the New Caledonian geckos.

I don't think we can mimic their exact diet no matter what. What we can do, is try to add all needed ingredients, minerals, vitamins, percentages. But that alone sometimes isn't enough. Just like with other animals you can try to have the perfect diet on paper, yet some of them do not do well on it. Certain things do not get used by the body as intended. Certain things do not get digested as intended.

Personally, I think its great that there is a wider variety of QUALITY diets coming out and the research is ongoing.

You will find people that raised these animals on lots of insects and their own home made variety of foods for many years and they are fine. You will find animals feeding on nothing but Repashy and/or Pangea for many years and they seem fine. Then there are the ones that try to do a variety of everything and their animals have been fine for many years, as well.

Following the latest research, its been said that these geckos actually eat mostly bugs and some fruit that falls on the ground during the season that fruit ripens. Doesn't mean that "our" bugs are the same, though. It does seem that the younger animals of that species eat more insects and the older ones tend to eat less of them.

You can make the insects more nutritious, though. A lot of people buy crickets or insects at a store where those insects have been fed either nothing or nothing nutritious. Some people raise their own, but feed them mostly cat/dog food.

If you feed your feeders well, they will be more nutritious for sure. The Dubias I have eat very well, LOL. They get all kinds of veggies, fruits and greens. On top of that a good roach chow that contains important ingredients. They also eat some of the complete Gecko diet. Before feeding them off, they get dusted well with a high quality calcium/D3 supplement.

I try to feed quality complete Crested Gecko diets (variety, not that he cares for all of them, LOL) but also insects, the ones that are healthier to begin with and have been raised and gut loaded on quality food.

Have you tried the Black Panther diets yet? They smell good and have great ingredients. But the consistency..ugh. Like snot. LOL
  • 05-08-2018, 01:21 PM
    tttaylorrr
    guess who gave me a heart attack last night!??!!? this little butt right here!

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...26160648af.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...f746d8fcfc.jpg

last night i went to take Wavvy out and check husbandry, fix him up some food, and mist before i went to bed. i think he was pretty much dead asleep as he didn't move much upon picking him up and he was very fired down. once he was in my hand he started moving a lot, and i figured he just really didn't like that he was woken up. i realized my spray bottle was in the other room (~15ft away) so we took a short walk to go get it. well, Wavvy decided to bail and JUMPED OUT OF MY HAND INTO THE ABYSS THAT IS THE HALLWAY! i think he was trying to make it to the wall, but fell over 4ft down to the carpet! i was mortified! it all happened in slow-mo! i thought this is it; he's losing his tail; it's gone. but no, he just sat still on the carpet probably contemplating how to get farther away from me. i scooped him up and we went about our business. he was pretty jumpy tonight, more than i've ever seen.

i think he just really wanted to go back to sleep. :colbert:
  • 05-09-2018, 02:39 PM
    zina10
    seriously Wavvy !!!

Such brats they are, aren't they? LOL

Bet your heart jumped into your throat !!

Glad all ended well, whew.
  • 05-10-2018, 01:40 PM
    Prognathodon
    I have all the feels for you thanks to my naughty little leachie! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • 05-15-2018, 11:15 PM
    tttaylorrr
    hey @zina10 !

your gecko jumps out? mine jumps in!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1e7ac55c86.gif
  • 05-15-2018, 11:49 PM
    zina10
    awww...

He is so cute ! In no time he will jump right onto your hand :)
  • 05-16-2018, 01:11 PM
    tttaylorrr