Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,582

1 members and 1,581 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Sugar vs. calico

Printable View

• 03-07-2017, 07:05 PM
    Cloudynight1017
    Sugar vs. calico
    I recently purchased a male sugar. After reading up on calico vs sugar I'm unsure of what this boy is. He is very dark with an orange hue near and on the belly and the outlines of the aliens range from yellow to orange. What do you guys think?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4e5e9095ee.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e7eac15271.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 03-07-2017, 07:08 PM
    Eric Alan
    He is what you bought him as. No reason to overthink it. :)
  • 03-07-2017, 08:31 PM
    Cloudynight1017
    Re: Sugar vs. calico
    I'm happy either way just would like to know for certain I guess is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 03-07-2017, 08:34 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    He is what you bought him as. No reason to overthink it. :)

This, there is no gain for someone to sell a calico as sugar or vice versa, same animal, different lines.
  • 03-07-2017, 08:39 PM
    Eric Alan
    They may or not be the same morph anyway. Even if they're not, there's a good chance that somewhere along the line they've gotten accidentally mixed up, crossed together, or called the opposite of what they actually were because someone thought one was more marketable than the other.

There really is no way to know for certain without tracing the lineage backwards. There is variability in the quality of both Calico and Sugar, so for almost every example of "a Calico/Sugar looks like this and the other looks like this" you can find an example to the contrary. Hence, my advice of call it what you bought it as. If nothing else, it helps to avoid the further mix-up if they really are different morphs.
  • 05-27-2017, 03:27 AM
    Mike15608
    I just purchased a sugar het pied male, what would be a good pairing for this sugar besides the obvious pied
  • 05-27-2017, 03:42 AM
    EDR
    If there's one person who knows the sugar gene its mike wilbanks. I've read from his site that if there's any doubt its a sugar it probably isn't a sugar. I myself have seen normal sugars look quit better then that. And for these reasons i'd say that's a low expression calico. That's just my take on it btw. I could be wrong. From what i understand and have read calico tends to be more high or low white where as sugar tends to be more consistent in the middle in the amount of white they show.
  • 09-27-2020, 01:30 PM
    snakesRkewl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EDR View Post
    If there's one person who knows the sugar gene its mike wilbanks. I've read from his site that if there's any doubt its a sugar it probably isn't a sugar. I myself have seen normal sugars look quit better then that. And for these reasons i'd say that's a low expression calico. That's just my take on it btw. I could be wrong. From what i understand and have read calico tends to be more high or low white where as sugar tends to be more consistent in the middle in the amount of white they show.

You'd be wrong. They are the same, high white, low white, is not a way to differentiate them.