Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,893

2 members and 2,891 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 09-03-2008, 10:19 AM
    JD Constriction
    Vendoring at your first show help?
    In two weeks I will be attending a show for the first time (Iowa Herp Society Show and Sale) as a vendor and was wondering if anyone had any tips as well as comments on what not to do or what to do.

I've reserved the table and purchased an arcylic display for my animals but haven't decided how to display my vendor info or how to do lighting. Any suggestions?

Also in regard to payments my only current method of accepting credit cards is paypal. There is wifi and I will have a laptop but that could prove cumberson. Cash of course will work fine. :)

I'll have deli cups with lids for sales. No printer for receipts (although that would be nice and maybe possible) so I'd have to mail them out afterward?

Is sales tax applicable to all sales? Or just to in-state residing customers?

Anything else I'm forgetting?

Suggestions?

Ideas/comments from frequent show attendees/customers?

Thanks in advance!
  • 09-03-2008, 01:25 PM
    LadyOhh
    Re: Vendoring at your first show help?
    Invoice papers for reciepts, with carbon copies behind to be able to keep a record for yourself

Banners are typical, so I would suggest getting one.

Lighting depends on what you plan to do. I would think that since you have never done it before, to go without, and then when you have a setup set for your table in general, plan it for next time.

If you are a registered business, tax applies only in the state you are registered in.

Go how you think you can go and setup, and build from there in future shows.
  • 09-03-2008, 02:06 PM
    LarryPetty
    Great advice! I fine tune things with each show I do. For instance, I started off with low budget displays. The last few shows I use displays I got from Neil Golli. I will continue to replace my old ones as times goes on. I started with standard desk lamps from Office Depot. I hate them and want to replace them. You can spend a fortune, but it's not needed. However, the nicer displays and lights will allow you to setup and take down a lot quicker.
  • 09-03-2008, 08:55 PM
    desertpirate
    Bring a knowledgeable helper who can answer questions/keep an eye on merchandise if you are busy with a sale.

Print out care sheets to give people when they buy animals.

Print out some business cards with your contact information in case they really want more of your animals!

Bring hand sanitizer for people to use before handling your animals.
  • 09-03-2008, 08:58 PM
    LadyOhh
    Ahhh... I forgot about the hand sanitizer.. Gods gift to the herper.

Excellent points!
  • 09-03-2008, 09:52 PM
    twh
    if your using a table cloth i always provent-a-mite it the night before,shows are a good way to spread the little buggers.

taping a business card to each deli cup or container is a good idea.

i always try to keep my table super neat and clean,the better it looks the better the sales.

ditto on a helper and lighting.
  • 09-03-2008, 11:51 PM
    nevohraalnavnoj
    I'll be at the show, I can't wait to see the display and all the hatchlings!

I think having a helper, as someone above mentioned, is a great idea. When I went to the last show in Des Moines it was a bummer trying to get to talk to a particular vendor when it seemed like they chatted with the same person forever. With two people you could maintain that conversation and still proceed with the sales.

JonV
  • 09-04-2008, 12:07 AM
    wolfy-hound
    It's always a good idea to have a reciept book to write up hand-written receipts, even when you have a printer. Never know when the printer will go down.
    If you can only take cash, put a printed sign up stating that.
    Doublecheck the sales tax.
    Have double the number of business cards you think you'll need, everyone always seems to run out at busy shows.
    Keep the animals and the enclosures CLEAN. Nothing shows worse than a dirty container.
  • 09-04-2008, 11:30 AM
    JD Constriction
    Thanks for all the info!

The PAM idea is a good one...I hadn't thought of that.

Found out staples and officemax have nice clamp lights as well as business card displays.

The only thing I "think" I'm missing is the banner and I might just go with a small display sign on the table. Any suggestions of where to get a sign?

Thanks!
  • 09-04-2008, 11:51 AM
    PythonWallace
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jpman78 View Post
    Any suggestions of where to get a sign?

Thanks!

Any printing company with a large format inkjet can do it. Most charge by the square foot, and the price can vary depending on who you go to. Call around once you have the artwork, and know exactly what you want. I'd also suggest having very wide, but short banner artwork readt in PDF format, then telling the company to scale it to fit the width of their plotter. Most will work with you if you don't need it immediately, and you tell them you have the artwork but don't have a lot of money to spend on printing. An 18"x42" full color banner should cost anywhere from $40-$60. That's on thick, glossy paper. A vinyl banner is a whole different process, and is more expensive.