Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 930

2 members and 928 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Prolapse

Printable View

• 01-18-2010, 08:51 PM
    Jay_Bunny
    Prolapse
    I got a male mouse from Petco as a feeder but he is beautiful and I was thinking of using him as a breeder but he has a prolapsed rectum. Its pretty bad and I was wondering if there is any way to help him. I can try to get pictures but all I have is my phone. It was sort of bloody at the store but when I got him home its just pink. No blood. So any way to help this little mouse?
  • 01-18-2010, 10:26 PM
    kc261
    Re: Prolapse
    The outlook for the prolapsed mouse is not good at all. I recommend feeding him off or euthanizing him immediately to end his suffering.

Here is a link to a thread about some problems I was having with prolapses when I was trying to get my mouse colony started:
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=79256

To give an update on that situation: I continued to have an occasional prolapsed mouse for a while. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe it was being caused by a bacterial infection. I'm also not sure if I ever really eliminated the bad bacteria, or just ended up with mice that are resistant to it. However, I haven't had a problem in many, many months, so it is something that can be overcome.

I can't even imagine why you saw he was bloody at the store, and decided to bring him home anyway. I hope you have kept him far, far away from the rest of your mice, rats, etc.
  • 01-18-2010, 10:36 PM
    Jay_Bunny
    Re: Prolapse
    I brought him home to end his suffering by feeding him off. I will be feeding him off as soon as I post this. If there is any risk of infection to my other mice, I don't want to take it so he will be fed off.