Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,276

1 members and 2,275 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Overfed Yearling

Printable View

• 07-28-2020, 07:22 PM
    rakeonepow
    Overfed Yearling
    I realize that I have been overfeeding my first boa in the frequency.
    It is now 16 months old and 475g.
    I find her round to my liking.

She is feeding on weanling rat (around 37g) every 3 weeks.
    I decided to cut her to 3 weeks.
    I also plan to feed her way less in the winter.

Would you feed her even less frequent than every 3 weeks ?
    Is it possible to rectify her body shape since she is very young?

What do you think?
    She's a Nic.

Here's a couple of pictures
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...dadaf3e4e0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8ef479f04b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6d33ed2179.jpg

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk
  • 07-28-2020, 10:11 PM
    Bogertophis
    She looks fine to me...(I'd keep doing what you're doing.)
  • 07-28-2020, 10:31 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    Re: Overfed Yearling
    She looks pretty good to me. How much/often were you feeding her before the diet? At that age/size my boas were eating rat weaners biweekly but every 3 weeks would be just fine too.
  • 07-28-2020, 10:39 PM
    jmcrook
    Agreed. Body condition looks good to me too from what I can see. Maybe a little bigger than others at that age being of Central American lineage, but all snakes are individuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 07-28-2020, 10:41 PM
    rakeonepow
    Alright. I was doing 10 days for a long time. Then she was growing sooo fast that I decided to do 2 weeks for maybe 2 months and then im on 3 weeks for maybe 3 months now.

• 07-28-2020, 10:48 PM
    Gio
    All looks good and for a yearling I don't think you need to jump on the complete winter off of food protocol.

Its great to do eventually and your snake has the island background that goes with that strategy. The migratory flow of birds play a role in the feeding schedule but I like young animals to get a good start.

The ones that have the most success feeding in the wild usually rise to be the breeders and long lived survivors.
  • 07-28-2020, 10:51 PM
    rakeonepow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    All looks good and for a yearling I don't think you need to jump on the complete winter off of food protocol.

Its great to do eventually and your snake has the island background that goes with that strategy. The migratory flow of birds play a role in the feeding schedule but I like young animals to get a good start.

The ones that have the most success feeding in the wild usually rise to be the breeders and long lived survivors.

I see. Would you suggest to at least feed less frequently in the winter and more in summer?
    Like lets say every 4 weeks or 5 weeks in the winter?
    I'm reading the complete boa constrictor book, but I am curious about specifics if you have an ide with young nics.

• 07-29-2020, 08:22 AM
    Alien
    I am far from an expert but that doesn't look like a red tail to me (this is posted in the red tail section). Kind of looks like some kind or Morph to me? Brian Boas has some you tube videos showing Morphs grow faster than normal/regular Boas.

With that being said your snake looks healthy to me.
  • 07-29-2020, 08:47 AM
    bcr229
    She looks a little "fluffy" but not bad. I would stick to the three week feeding schedule and handle as much as possible when the snake isn't digesting or in shed.

During the winter my three year old and older boas go on half rations but on the same feeding frequency. So, if they were getting a large rat every four weeks, they get a medium, or something like a rabbit fuzzy or older chick that weighs around 100 grams.
  • 07-29-2020, 08:49 AM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rakeonepow View Post
    I see. Would you suggest to at least feed less frequently in the winter and more in summer?
    Like lets say every 4 weeks or 5 weeks in the winter?
    I'm reading the complete boa constrictor book, but I am curious about specifics if you have an ide with young nics.

As for specifics on Nicaraguan boas I can’t say for sure, but the feeding regimen you’re describing sounds like you’ve got the right idea. You’ve definitely got the right piece of literature to guide you so keep on reading and ask questions when you have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk