Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,125

0 members and 3,125 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
  • 10-08-2017, 06:46 PM
    dakski
    Re: Shayna - Our Albino Spider Ball
    Thank you!

She's a total sweetheart too!

We love her too!
  • 11-06-2017, 04:57 PM
    dakski
  • 01-17-2018, 09:25 PM
    dakski
    Shayna just shed and, unfortunately, this is the best picture I could get. I think it shows how her yellow pops - almost neon.

She's in her winter "fast," but is doing great otherwise. She hasn't eaten in about 4 months, but is down from about 1580G to about 1480G. Still drinking, shedding, and doing other "snake" stuff. She's 5 now and has done this like clockwork for 3 years. Occasionally, in the past, she would take a rat here and there, but I know she will eat when ready.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...after_shed.jpg
  • 02-12-2018, 12:16 AM
    dakski
    After almost exactly 5 months (beginning of September) of not eating, Shayna stopped her yearly fast tonight, and gobbled down a 125G F/T medium rat!

It was kind of funny. She might have forgotten how to snake/eat for a minute.

She rarely strikes and is very shy. I usually shake it and then put it down and walk away. When in regular feeding schedule mode, she might strike 1/15 times, but eats 12/15 times.

Today, I shook, she came over to see, and I put down in front of her. She seemed interested for the first time in a long time, smelled and tasted for a while, then grabbed and tried to eat from the middle a couple of times. Then she grabbed the head, pulled around the tank, and seemed to start eating okay. I walked away to let her eat and when I came back 30 minutes later, the rat was gone.

I need to double check her hides tomorrow to make sure she didn't just drag it around and leave it hidden somewhere. She has done that every once in a while.

Very happy (assuming she ate). I know she will eat when she wants. However, nerve racking to see her not eat for that long!

She went from 1580G down to about 1470G, and has been drinking and dropping urine and urate regularly. So, it wasn't a concern about health or anything (she is also 5 1/2 years old). Just frustrating for me. She has also done this every year for 3 years now. I've had her since 6 months old and 200G.

Having a corn and a BCI, who eat like clockwork, it's interesting dealing with the idiosyncrasies of a BP and weird eating habits.

However, I wouldn't have Shayna any other way. She is an awesome snake.

Beautiful and incredibly docile, calm, and sweet.
  • 02-12-2018, 01:34 PM
    dakski
    I checked today and the rat is gone! She ate! Hooray!

Glad she did and I did not find it rotting under a hide :).
  • 02-12-2018, 02:53 PM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I checked today and the rat is gone! She ate! Hooray!

Glad she did and I did not find it rotting under a hide :).

Excellent !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • 02-12-2018, 04:41 PM
    Phillydubs
    My goodness!! Stunnnning!!

this is an old thread and nice to see it updated or I would have never seen this gorgeous girl!!
  • 02-12-2018, 09:03 PM
    Skyrivers
    What a nice snake. Love her.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
  • 02-14-2018, 11:25 PM
    dakski
    So, Shayna started eating again, and I am handling her a little more often. She looked so pretty tonight, and I got a new camera, so PICTURE TIME!

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...hayna_body.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...e_and_body.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...hayna_face.jpg
  • 02-19-2018, 12:40 AM
    dakski
    So, I tried feeding Shayna again this week to get some weight back on her. She refused, :(.

The past few winters when she fasted, she had "false starts" too, and doesn't eat every week usually anyway. I'll try again next week.

Not worried considering how happily she ate last week and this her modus operandi.

Oh, well.