Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,373

0 members and 1,373 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Weimaraner

Printable View

• 05-29-2008, 06:26 PM
    Fearless
    Weimaraner
    Just curious if anyone has these and/or dealt with them much, really thinking I need one and who else to get good straight up opinions from then this place!
  • 05-30-2008, 09:52 PM
    Shelby
    Re: Weimaraner
    Well, I'm a dog groomer by profession so I see a fair number of weimaraners. They tend to be very high strung and hyper.. they need a lot of training so they don't drag you around when you're trying to walk them on a leash.. an untrained weimaraner can be a real nightmare.

That said, they're nice dogs, and very beautiful. I've never met an aggressive one.
  • 05-30-2008, 10:26 PM
    Blu Mongoose
    Great dogs, but many, not all, can be high strung as Shelby stated. I love their look!!
  • 05-30-2008, 10:27 PM
    stangs13
    They can be a terror if they are spoiled and not handled like a respectable dog. My grandma has one, and its spoiled and tears up everything. Very hyper, and need lots of training. They are great with kids and other dogs. Just a little loopy.
  • 05-31-2008, 01:15 PM
    equis8
    I have a weim :) They are very high strung and need lots and lots of room to really run and tire themselves out or they can tear apart your house ha! My Masi really isnt too bad, but I'm used to her hyperness. She is a pretty fun dog. She just turned three on May 2nd. She is relatively well mannered, but she does still act like a puppy. Here are a couple pictures of her :)
    http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...8/IMG_5107.jpg
    http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...IMG_6949-2.jpg
    http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...8/IMG_6423.jpg
  • 05-31-2008, 01:16 PM
    equis8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stangs13 View Post
    They can be a terror if they are spoiled and not handled like a respectable dog.

I think this is true of any dog ;). If you don't lay a foundation of obediance the dog is not going to behave...its just more obvious with big dogs as they are so much bigger!
  • 05-31-2008, 10:09 PM
    Fearless
    Thanks everyone, and Kim your grl is absolutely gorgeous.

Heard they can be very high strung and good thing I live in the boon docks so it shouldn't have any problem running and playing as necessary to work off some energy.
  • 06-01-2008, 05:53 PM
    equis8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    Thanks everyone, and Kim your grl is absolutely gorgeous.

Heard they can be very high strung and good thing I live in the boon docks so it shouldn't have any problem running and playing as necessary to work off some energy.

Definately! I lived in the city with her since she was a pup, but we brought her to the park regularly to let her run, and we did have a tiny little yard that she would run laps around with the other dogs. Just this last month we moved to northern maine....as much as a change from the city as you can get without being a hermit! Its about 3 1/2 hours north of Portland...and really nothing around but trees and fields. I'm loving it, and the dogs are too. I've had to increase her food consumption almost to double what she was getting before we moved her. Thats how much extra time she can spend running around and being dumb.

Weims are prone to immune problems, and Masi is allergic to beef and wheat, and has inflammatory bowel disease. Which luckily is managed well by keeping her away from her allergies. I know other weims with the same IBD problem...but I don't think its really a weim thing. Sorta like Hip dysplasia...anybreed can get it.

Anyways, just make sure you find a good high quality breeder. It is really the best way to go! :) goodluck weimy shopping!
  • 06-02-2008, 12:07 PM
    syclone
    my father had one, great dog, but like said before alot of energy. We used her for bird hunting, she was well trained, but could still be a brat when something didn't go her way.
    I now have a German short haired pointer, about the same as weimy, maybe a little loppier, have fun and good luck.
  • 06-03-2008, 05:30 PM
    Fearless
    Thats cool, was debating between the weim and a german shorthair. I love the looks of the weims and the the gf likes chocolate labs so at very least it would be an all brown short hair but I usually get my way so sure it will be a weim. Just need to get my stupid jobs organized to guarantee enough time to train a puppy. And definately plan to find a good breeder.