Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,909

1 members and 2,908 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

This dummy got chomped...

Printable View

• 10-30-2004, 12:41 PM
    Ginevive
    Last night I was putting the water bowl back into Apache's cage, and he walloped me. He thought I was food, because it was not a quick little snap, it was a feeding response. It's not like he is starving; he gets a rat every week, and just had one last Thursday! But maybe he just got excited and went for me. He didn't seem to be in an attack posture or anything.
    I hate how it feels to get bitten! Like all these tiny spikes going into your hand. And then it's like they "peel" their jaws off of you!
    Just remember kiddies, snakes are always able to bite. And when you let your guard down once, like I did, you open yourself up to get whacked!
  • 10-30-2004, 12:45 PM
    led4urhead
    Sorry to hear that Gin. Does he seem any worse for wear? Hows the hand today?
  • 10-30-2004, 12:50 PM
    RobertCoombs
    heck of a wake up call ...ehhh.. lol I always try to make a point to let them know im going in the cage .. usually at feeding time ill tap the cage with the hemos and when im not feeding i just open the door and tuch them with a dowel rod i keep in the snake room .. just lets em know im in the cage doing something.. has saved me from a ton of bites in the past
    My green trees know when its feeding time just by seeing me with the hemostats in my hand... smart snakes they seem to be..
  • 10-30-2004, 03:30 PM
    Ginevive
    Yeah, I should have let him know I was there. It seems like he is in a constant state of "watching for food" all the time. I think I may try feeding him outside of his enclosure from now on; he strongly associates motion from above as a signal he's going to be fed. It's not like I never handle him, but I just hate how he is always on "hair trigger."
  • 10-30-2004, 09:37 PM
    Jeanne
    Mine is calm as can be as long as I let him know I am messing around in his cage. Or gettin ready to pick him up.
  • 10-30-2004, 09:44 PM
    Ironhead
    Quote:

Mine is calm as can be as long as I let him know I am messing around in his cage. Or gettin ready to pick him up.
    So is Monty Joe, but with Cheetah I always put a small towel either over him or the hide he is hiding in. You dont dare take chances with him unless you just want to get bit....