Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,044

2 members and 3,042 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Now I have a non eater...

Printable View

• 12-11-2020, 02:37 PM
    bcr229
    That is the nice thing about rescues. Assuming they've merely been neglected and aren't sick, they eat.
  • 12-16-2020, 03:40 PM
    Gocntry
    Re: Now I have a non eater...
    Well, Eggrolls been cruising her enclosure for the last 2 days... Feeding day is Saturday, fingers crossed she's hungry.

I threw the rats she didn't eat out in the back yard and something got them by morning,

No clue what's getting fed overnight but something got a meal.
  • 12-16-2020, 03:50 PM
    Hugsplox
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    Well, Eggrolls been cruising her enclosure for the last 2 days... Feeding day is Saturday, fingers crossed she's hungry.

I threw the rats she didn't eat out in the back yard and something got them by morning,

I use to do this with pinkies when my hognose wouldn't eat. Got to see a few different local animals show up for a easy snake. Not a bad way to recycle!
  • 12-16-2020, 04:08 PM
    Bogertophis
    I hope she gets back to eating for you. It is pretty typical behavior for BPs though- & it's why I appreciate my colubrids so much- the only snakes I have that fast in the winter is my rosy boa & my TX longnose snakes. They're both desert species that would brumate in the wild, by the way. With some snakes, all you can do is to "go with the flow". :cool: Their instincts keep them alive in the wild, so it's hard to argue with that. :snake:
  • 12-16-2020, 04:09 PM
    Reptile$ 4 Life
    Don't you just love it when they decided not to eat! It's the best.
  • 12-16-2020, 06:49 PM
    wnateg
    Quote:

One time I threw an uneaten rat out my third floor balcony into the woods, and it accidentally landed in a tree. It was gone the next day.
  • 12-16-2020, 06:58 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    One time I threw an uneaten rat out my third floor balcony into the woods, and it accidentally landed in a tree. It was gone the next day.

I can only imagine the surprised "smile" on some bird's face.
  • 12-23-2020, 09:45 AM
    Gocntry
    Well last Saturday was feeding day, Eggroll was out, Started warming up the rats, Cheyenne gets to go first or she has a fit :rofl:

Left Eggroll for last so I could leave the snake room and not bother her.

Warmed it up like normal, showed it to her she sniffed it and coiled back like WTH is that :rolleyes:.

Left it in her enclosure overnight, Nope not interested.

So we're at the 2 month mark, haven't got her out to weigh her, but she still prowls at night no other issues, So just guess she's not hungry yet.

So we'll see what the next feeding brings.......
  • 12-23-2020, 10:50 PM
    303_enfield
    Quote:

Well last Saturday was feeding day, Eggroll was out, Started warming up the rats, Cheyenne gets to go first or she has a fit :rofl:

Left Eggroll for last so I could leave the snake room and not bother her.

Warmed it up like normal, showed it to her she sniffed it and coiled back like WTH is that :rolleyes:.

Left it in her enclosure overnight, Nope not interested.

So we're at the 2 month mark, haven't got her out to weigh her, but she still prowls at night no other issues, So just guess she's not hungry yet.

So we'll see what the next feeding brings.......

Did you try the hairdryer to heat the rat head? Sometimes the extra heat helps.

Or a nice stinky male rat?

Good luck!
  • 12-24-2020, 02:01 PM
    Gocntry
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Did you try the hairdryer to heat the rat head? Sometimes the extra heat helps.

Or a nice stinky male rat?

Good luck!

Don't remember the sex of the rat, I can make sure to pick a male next time though

I use F/T and always hit 'em with the hair dryer to warm them first.