Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,097

0 members and 3,097 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
  • 11-14-2013, 02:17 AM
    Bluebonnet Herp
    The Everglades has a new villain: omnivorous lizards
  • 11-14-2013, 03:34 AM
    satomi325
    I love tegus and hope to get one in the future.
    However, I don't blame FL for wanting to get rid of them. Tom Crutchfield said they're probably the most invasive after feral cats and hogs.
  • 11-14-2013, 04:08 AM
    Bluebonnet Herp
    Re: The Everglades has a new villain: omnivorous lizards
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    I love tegus and hope to get one in the future.
    However, I don't blame FL for wanting to get rid of them. Tom Crutchfield said they're probably the most invasive after feral cats and hogs.

I'm just waiting for the government to add monitors, iguanas, and tegus to the Lacey Act.
  • 11-14-2013, 07:59 AM
    Marissa@MKmorphs
    As a Floridian, in all my time spent in South Florida (a lot of my family lives down that way) I have never seen a tegu in the wild. Wanna know what I do see? 4 to 6 foot iguanas every few feet on the sides of roads.... They may not be quite as detrimental to the ecosystem as the tegus are, but they sure are becoming a nuisance to many!
  • 11-14-2013, 11:27 AM
    OctagonGecko729
    Yeah I've been saying this would happen long before the Burms were considered a major problem. Monitors are by far more adaptable then the snakes and are much more destructive. They won't get the same level of fear from the public about big lizards though.
  • 11-14-2013, 01:13 PM
    patientz3ro
    Catch them, cage them, and relocate them to the bayous of Louisiana. Hello tegu, goodbye nutria!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk
  • 11-14-2013, 06:04 PM
    Bluebonnet Herp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patientz3ro View Post
    Catch them, cage them, and relocate them to the bayous of Louisiana. Hello tegu, goodbye nutria!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Lol.
    Just keep in mind what cane toads did...
  • 11-15-2013, 12:17 PM
    OctagonGecko729
    Yeah the government is great at messing up our ecosystems through those kind of bright ideas.
  • 11-15-2013, 04:27 PM
    Bluebonnet Herp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OctagonGecko729 View Post
    Yeah the government is great at messing up our ecosystems through those kind of bright ideas.

But they think they can save the environment by taking away your non-traditional pets, yet let ding-dong next door keep their cats outside. Yeah okay.
  • 11-15-2013, 05:24 PM
    MrLang
    I guess I better get my Tegu earlier rather than later so I don't have to worry about sourcing in-state.

Also, from the article:

Rodney Irwin, 59, of Homestead began trapping tegus on private land for fun and profit about two years ago.
    He estimates he’s taken between 800 and 1,000, selling most of them directly to customers on his website, tegusonly.com, for about $100 apiece. He also sells to a wholesaler for between $35 and $50.

Someone got added to my do not buy list. Website should be retitled "parasites only"