Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,193

2 members and 3,191 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

New Mice

Printable View

• 10-24-2008, 11:18 PM
    Clear
    New Mice
    Whats the best way of introducing a new male to a few females? I have 3 bins with 3 females in each right now, I placed a male in each and they are screaming a lot! No blood or anything tho.
  • 10-24-2008, 11:31 PM
    Argentra
    Re: New Mice
    They will complain a LOT as the male chases them. Just watch and see WHY they are screaming: If the girls are being chased around a lot, it's because the male is trying to mate with them. If there is a lot of wrestling and shoving, then they're fighting.

The best way to intro new rodents is to put both into a totally clean enclosure so it's 'neutral' territory. That way, there are no territory issues and it's all about 'do I like you or not'. :)
  • 10-24-2008, 11:39 PM
    Clear
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    They will complain a LOT as the male chases them. Just watch and see WHY they are screaming: If the girls are being chased around a lot, it's because the male is trying to mate with them. If there is a lot of wrestling and shoving, then they're fighting.

The best way to intro new rodents is to put both into a totally clean enclosure so it's 'neutral' territory. That way, there are no territory issues and it's all about 'do I like you or not'. :)

They are all in new enclosures! I placed them in the rack I built today! I think its mostly just getting to know each other, the male is doing most the chasing.
  • 10-24-2008, 11:40 PM
    Argentra
    :) So the girls didn't live in the tubs before the males were introduced? That's good. Most likely they are just 'complaining' about being hounded by the males.
  • 10-24-2008, 11:48 PM
    Clear
    I hope so, its a lot of screaming! I hope everything will be ok in the morning, if not new male and new females (they will be snake food)
  • 10-25-2008, 04:25 PM
    truthsdeceit
    I've got a male that I rotate through four female tubs. There's always a lot of squeaking at the beginning.

As long as the tubs were new/clean you should be fine.

It's just the girls protesting being mounted.

I'd still watch them though, first sign of blood you should consider not using them for breeders. You get a girl who's a fighter there a chance she'll never breed and a good chance your boy will get castrated, never a pretty sight.
  • 10-25-2008, 04:28 PM
    Clear
    I checked this morning no blood and no more screaming!