Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,012

1 members and 3,011 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 08-14-2019, 04:19 PM
    TheSandlapper
    Cost of glass sound right?
    I was thinking about building a new enclosure and will probably be using two sheets of glass that will be 22”x36”x1/4”. I got quotes from two business near by and they both want about $120 for the glass, does this sound right? It seems a bit expensive to me but I haven’t ever bought sheet glass before.
  • 08-14-2019, 04:22 PM
    Bogertophis
    Tempered glass I hope? Is this to install, or sliding doors? (if sliders, they'll finish edges too, I'd assume?) Been too long since I've bought glass to know prices,
    but that's probably about right.
  • 08-14-2019, 04:32 PM
    pretends2bnormal
    Re: Cost of glass sound right?
    I don't know how pricing scales on larger pieces, but I got 2 sheets of glass in the ~10"×12" size (1/4" tempered with the smooth edges), used for sliding doors on a 20 gallon high, for about $15.

Might be that it is more expensive off of larger sheets, but I really don't know. Seems high to me, but glass might be more expensive where you're located.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  • 08-14-2019, 06:17 PM
    TheSandlapper
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Tempered glass I hope? Is this to install, or sliding doors? (if sliders, they'll finish edges too, I'd assume?) Been too long since I've bought glass to know prices,
    but that's probably about right.

I didn't ask whether or not it was tempered, and no installation, I was just asking for a price for two panes of glass to those dimensions.
  • 08-14-2019, 06:20 PM
    TheSandlapper
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I don't know how pricing scales on larger pieces, but I got 2 sheets of glass in the ~10"×12" size (1/4" tempered with the smooth edges), used for sliding doors on a 20 gallon high, for about $15.

Might be that it is more expensive off of larger sheets, but I really don't know. Seems high to me, but glass might be more expensive where you're located.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You might be onto something, maybe to get the size I asked for they are having to cut down a larger size piece of glass therefore driving the price up.
  • 08-14-2019, 06:27 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSandlapper View Post
    I didn't ask whether or not it was tempered, and no installation, I was just asking for a price for two panes of glass to those dimensions.

You definitely want tempered glass for a cage, so make sure to ask. I didn't mean they'd install it either...what I meant was whether or not the edges were finished, like
    you'd want for a sliding door, or if YOU were installing it into a frame (so the edges could be blunt, not rounded).
  • 08-14-2019, 11:06 PM
    Starscream
    I got two 23x34x1/4 inch sheets of plate glass for $83 from a local glass shop so... depends, I guess.
  • 08-15-2019, 06:04 PM
    303_enfield
    Location? What type of shop did you price it at (box store, national change or independent)? When I was 14yo I worked for an independent glass shop. We would save drop for little projects like your. If you can wait tell the shop that so you get a better deal.

Good luck!