Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,803

0 members and 1,803 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

BP bite

Printable View

• 01-13-2022, 07:24 AM
    Slownlow
    BP bite
    I've had my female BP for almost 3 yrs. Assuming she's between 3 and 4. She has always been super docile. Example, she never sheds well so I'll soak her and can rub the majority of it off with a cloth. There have also been times her eyes were capped a little longer than usual. Which I'm assuming made it harder for her to see. All this, never any bites.
    My buddy was over, he asked if he could hold her. Sure, she's gentle. Just don't startle her. He didn't startle. She almost immediately bit down on his wrist and coiled around his arm. Thankfully he was super calm about it. We walked back to the tank. I looked up what to do. Got hand sanitizer, stuck it near her to sniff. A drop definitely hit her mouth. She immediately let go and clearly did NOT like the taste. Mouth wide open for about 20 secs, moving around. I think she's ok. Thawed an adult mouse and fed her later in the evening.
    Why did she bite him? Do I have to start thinking she might bite me now?? Does she maybe have a taste for human blood now?
    I usually take her out of her tank when she is fully out of a hide and pick her up by bottom half. She just slithers across my hands, arms, on the furniture or my knees. I pet her, sometimes even on her head she lets me now.
    Funny enough, I had her out once before when he was over and I had this gut feeling she would bite him. Lol
    Any help is greatly appreciated
  • 01-13-2022, 09:58 AM
    Homebody
    Re: BP bite
    Your friend has a pet rat.
  • 01-13-2022, 11:12 AM
    Hugsplox
    Sometimes snakes bite, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Remember that one, you and your friend are giant predators picking her up, and two, these are still wild animals regardless of how much we handle them. Even a domesticated dog will bite if you put it in the right (or I should say wrong) situation. My BP has only tagged me once and it was my fault, but my hognoses are bullies and mock strike me once or twice every few months. It's just part of keeping reptiles. I even have a crested gecko who, although they can't do any harm, tries his very best to nip my fingers every time I'm in his enclosure for something.
  • 01-13-2022, 11:33 AM
    Andiamo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slownlow View Post
    I think she's ok. Thawed an adult mouse and fed her later in the evening.

Pretty sure she was just hungry and thought to bite first ask questions later. that fact that she wrapped him means it was probably a food bite vs. a defensive bit.

Really impressed that your friend handled the situation so well.
  • 01-13-2022, 11:46 AM
    Bogertophis
    So she recognizes your scent, but not the friend- & she was very "optimistic" that this was a new kind of upsized rat, :rofl: Now you know-

And I would NEVER put any hand sanitizer in a snake's mouth- it can contain toxic chemicals that could kill your snake & I don't think her offense should be punishable by death, just saying. ;)
  • 01-13-2022, 08:33 PM
    Spicey
    Quote:

Does she maybe have a taste for human blood now?

:rofl:
  • 01-13-2022, 08:44 PM
    Slownlow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    So she recognizes your scent, but not the friend- & she was very "optimistic" that this was a new kind of upsized rat, :rofl: Now you know-

And I would NEVER put any hand sanitizer in a snake's mouth- it can contain toxic chemicals that could kill your snake & I don't think her offense should be punishable by death, just saying. ;)

It was never my intent for the sanitizer to touch her. Was my first experience dealing with how to handle a snake bite and I was a little freaked out. Upsized rat lol. I do wonder if an adult mouse is enough for her.
  • 01-13-2022, 08:45 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

....Thawed an adult mouse and fed her later in the evening.
    Why did she bite him? Do I have to start thinking she might bite me now?? Does she maybe have a taste for human blood now?....

She was hungry, & did not recognize your friend's scent as she does yours- she was very "optimistic" that this was dinner, but no, she does not have a taste for human blood now. :rolleyes:

You should ALWAYS be aware that your snake "might bite you" but all it takes is paying attention to their body language & telling them (using your scent & touch cues) that it's you, not their dinner.

Snakes can see but they do not identify us visually. However, if you forget that, many snakes will be good enough to remind you. :D
  • 01-13-2022, 08:45 PM
    Slownlow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Your friend has a pet rat.

Nope, 2 cats. But we did come from eating ribs and I'm assuming he didn't wash his hands lol
  • 01-13-2022, 08:48 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Nope, 2 cats. But we did come from eating ribs and I'm assuming he didn't wash his hands lol

Ribs or chicken or pot roast or pork chops or anything else you might eat are VERY UNLIKELY to interest a snake. Especially a picky BP, lol. They DO recognize warmth, movement, & by some accounts, "hairy arms" as potential dinner. ;)