Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,485

4 members and 3,481 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Paradox genetics

Printable View

• 09-12-2018, 03:43 PM
    LotsaBalls
    Paradox genetics
    I’ve done some posting on FB with this topic and some research myself. What are people’s thoughts on the genetics for Paradox? I want this to be an open discussion but would prefer if people weren’t just repeating what they have heard and talking more from experience. I’ll start there and add more later.
  • 09-12-2018, 03:47 PM
    Ax01
    i still think it's random and not genetic. the morph traits (for example, the Lesser or Mojave genes in a BEL) may be passed on, but not the paradoxing itself.

post pix plz!
  • 09-12-2018, 03:54 PM
    LotsaBalls
    Re: Paradox genetics
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    i still think it's random and not genetic. the morph traits (for example, the Lesser or Mojave genes in a BEL) may be passed on, but not the paradoxing itself.

post pix plz!

Ok so, everything is either genetic or environmental. My first one hatched is my picture by my name.
  • 09-12-2018, 03:56 PM
    Hannahshissyfix
    I think it's just random but it does seem certain morphs have more paradox markings pop up more frequently. That may be because they are morphs I tend to look up more often or that they are more popular genes in general.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
  • 09-12-2018, 04:05 PM
    LotsaBalls
  • 09-12-2018, 04:07 PM
    LotsaBalls
    Hatched the bigger male last year Butter x Butter and the female this year Bamboo x Butter same mom different dads.
  • 09-12-2018, 04:09 PM
    Skyrivers
    Paradox is random. Take a look at my Great Dane. She is a double Merle gene. The Merle gene is like albianoism. In a few small places she has pigment that expressed dispite her genetics. This is not something you can breed for. Is random. Now the real question is, is the entire body homogeneous geneticist in paradoxes or do they have incomplete homogeneous in the places where it is expressed differently? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...81c106ebfb.jpg

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
  • 09-12-2018, 04:21 PM
    LotsaBalls
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Paradox is random. Take a look at my Great Dane. She is a double Merle gene. The Merle gene is like albianoism. In a few small places she has pigment that expressed dispite her genetics. This is not something you can breed for. Is random. Now the real question is, is the entire body homogeneous geneticist in paradoxes or do they have incomplete homogeneous in the places where it is expressed differently? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...81c106ebfb.jpg

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

If it is random as you say, what are the chances that I produced two from the same mom back to back years from different dads? That’s like hitting the lottery twice in one week. Talking with my Vet, she says it’s probably an Incomplete Dominant trait. Possibly only noticeable when there is a reduction or deletion of pigmentation.
    Also to be clear I believe that several of the phenotypes that people call Paradox are from unrelated genetics. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2f553c218e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2e9a206811.jpg I wouldn’t call these a paradox more just how the Cinnamon gene interacts with other genes.
  • 09-12-2018, 05:36 PM
    Ax01
    Quote:

post pix plz!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LotsaBalls View Post
    Ok so, everything is either genetic or environmental. My first one hatched is my picture by my name.

i think there are variables in the environment that could be at play. for example, temp spikes during incubation could have an impact. how did u incubate, what temps and for how long?

Quote:

If it is random as you say, what are the chances that I produced two from the same mom back to back years from different dads? That’s like hitting the lottery twice in one week. Talking with my Vet, she says it’s probably an Incomplete Dominant trait. Possibly only noticeable when there is a reduction or deletion of pigmentation.
    Also to be clear I believe that several of the phenotypes that people call Paradox are from unrelated genetics.

IIRC there is an incomplete dominant trait called Whitewash that creates a paradox like effect. this is different from your animals or mine or anyone else's which is unexplainable w/ current genetics. i think u should give your Butter girl time off and try for another paradox in a year or two. try pairing he to another BEL animal? maybe Mojave this time? it would be a true jackpot if she proves 3 in a row.

Edit:
    Quote:

I wouldn’t call these a paradox more just how the Cinnamon gene interacts with other genes.

yeah, i wouldn't call that paradoxing. Super Cinny's are known for their splotching and flecking. it becomes more obvious when u add Albino to make a Cue Ball (or Blizzard) when u have a white snake w/ just yellow/orange splotches and flecks. my friend Taylor has a Super Cinny w/ what i believe is true paradoxing. it's small but it's there towards the tail: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ression-thread
  • 09-12-2018, 05:42 PM
    Hannahshissyfix
    Quote:

i think there are variables in the environment that could be at play. for example, temp spikes during incubation could have an impact. how did u incubate, what temps and for how long?

IIRC there is an incomplete dominant trait called Whitewash that creates a paradox like effect. this is different from your animals or mine or anyone else's which is unexplainable w/ current genetics. i think u should give your Butter girl time off and try for another paradox in a year or two. try pairing he to another BEL animal? maybe Mojave this time? it would be a true jackpot if she proves 3 in a row.

Edit:

yeah, i wouldn't call that paradoxing. Super Cinny's are known for their splotching and flecking. it becomes more obvious when u add Albino to make a Cue Ball (or Blizzard) when u have a white snake w/ just yellow/orange splotches and flecks. my friend Taylor has a Super Cinny w/ what i believe is true paradoxing. it's small but it's there towards the tail: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ression-thread

My Cue girls speckling is really noticeablehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0fbff7c8cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk