Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,446

1 members and 2,445 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Natural cage for a retic?

Printable View

• 03-25-2019, 02:00 AM
    damein
    Natural cage for a retic?
    Hello!
    I was wondering if anyone here has ever done a more natural enclosure for something as large as a retic?
    I work for a guy that owns a few and he does the same paper/Aspen bedding.
    Doing a very quick Google search, I couldn't seem to find anything from other people doing much else.
    I know these guys are a bit large and tend to squish any plants, but has anyone else considered doing something other then the standard 6ft enclosure with newspaper?
    Plants? Substrate? pond? Hides?
    I have a Platinum Golden Child male that I rescued a few years back and he's finally getting some size on him. Well, he's such an impressive snake that I was considering making him more of a display.

If anyone has done anything simular, I would love to see an example! Any tips, hints or things to consider would be fantastic.

Thanks in advanced!
  • 03-25-2019, 04:49 AM
    Zincubus
    Re: Natural cage for a retic?
    I had some huge branches screwed into place ( wooden viv )a few years back .. he did enjoy climbing ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 03-25-2019, 08:30 AM
    bcr229
    I think most people don't keep the adults on natural substrates because of the sheer volume of urine these snakes produce. I've had some of them flood their cages 2, 3, and 4 days after eating, which would require replacing all of the substrate. That's a lot of aspen or cypress mulch to replace every day.
  • 03-25-2019, 08:40 AM
    Skyrivers
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I think most people don't keep the adults on natural substrates because of the sheer volume of urine these snakes produce. I've had some of them flood their cages 2, 3, and 4 days after eating, which would require replacing all of the substrate. That's a lot of aspen or cypress mulch to replace every day.

I am lucky. Rainbow pees in her swimming areas. Is easy and cheap to empty, clean, and refill them.
  • 03-25-2019, 08:59 AM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I am lucky. Rainbow pees in her swimming areas. Is easy and cheap to empty, clean, and refill them.

Oh yeah clean-up is easy when they use the water bowl as a toilet.
  • 03-25-2019, 09:54 AM
    Starscream
    I've seen large outdoor enclosures and sheds converted into an enclosure that are considered naturalistic. The dimensions for both of these are way larger than most standard retic keepers, so that's probably how they get away with it.

I'm not a retic keeper, nor do I plan to be. Way too much snake for me lol. But I've seen it done, so thought I'd mention it.
  • 03-25-2019, 10:24 AM
    Alter-Echo
    I have seen it done in zoos, but it seems most of them use garden mulch as a substrate, with pots planted under it. Huge branched are bolted to the walls with brackets.
  • 03-25-2019, 11:58 AM
    AbsoluteApril
    Space and cleaning are the main reasons I think you don't see it done that often.

Gio has a naturalistic set up for his growing retic you might want to check out:
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...e-Progression!
  • 03-25-2019, 12:21 PM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    I have seen it done in zoos, but it seems most of them use garden mulch as a substrate, with pots planted under it. Huge branched are bolted to the walls with brackets.

I've seen them also. They typically have a lot more floor space and vertical space, like the size of a horse's stall.
  • 03-25-2019, 02:26 PM
    WhompingWillow
    This is the habitat for the retic at the Brookfield Zoo (not my photo). I visit frequently and am always amazed by 1) how ridiculously huge the snake is and 2) how even this large of an enclosure does not seem like enough space. The next time I go I'll try to take some good pictures of all the snakes there. :)
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/O7KdjyI.jpg