Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,880

2 members and 2,878 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 02-08-2019, 02:02 AM
    THEfisherman809
    how long until my ball python adjusts
    Hello, My ball python of 3 years of age just got a tank upgrade and moved locations to a louder area of my house with a little more commotion.It has been about 2 weeks and as he used to come out sometimes at night, he just sits in his warm side hide and doesn't move.He doesn't even poke his head out.I have fed him twice within the two week period and he has not shown any interest.The hot side temperature is at 91 and fluctuates between 89 and 92 and the cool side is at about 78-82.Humidity is at about 40 percent( its a little low but it i mist once or twice a day so its usually a little higher) .I know ball pythons can go off feed for a while but within the last 2 months my ball python has eaten about 3 or 4 times.I just want to make sure he is ok,he is used to handling and i take him all over the house so i guess i thought the move wouldn't be affected for too long. Thank, you.

His old tank was a 40 breeder,(36 by 18 by 16)

His new tank is a 40 long i believe( 48 by 16 by 10)

Could it be too large??
  • 02-08-2019, 03:16 AM
    Bogertophis
    I don't think your cage is too large, as long as there's plenty of hiding opportunity. There's really no way for us to tell you how long it will be before your
    snake feels settled in his new surroundings: they don't understand how their world just changed & it's frightening to them, but just give him time to get
    used to the changes...hopefully it won't be too much longer. It's not only the cage that's different, but the activity around him that he's aware of.
  • 02-08-2019, 08:48 AM
    Zincubus
    Re: how long until my ball python adjusts
    I'd add a couple more hides and some branches and wrap some fake silk/plastic foliage around them . I find my branches in the local woods and parks ..same with hides ... I pick up pieces of dead bark and they bend into shape as they dry .

Snakes love climbing in the evening and Royals get surprisingly active if you add branches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 02-08-2019, 11:28 AM
    MR Snakes
    I think we will need some pics for this one.
  • 02-08-2019, 06:56 PM
    THEfisherman809
    Added hides, Will try to get pics
    Thanks for the responses, I added a hide like suggested. I also added some cork bark and am going to try to get some sticks. I will also try to get some pictures up if I can, can’t figure it out from my phone.Thanks for answering my question just wanted to make sure everything was alright or if it was a sign of some sickness they can get.
  • 02-08-2019, 06:59 PM
    Jellybeans
    I don't know if it's true or not because I've never tried it but I've heard that if you just move a ball python enclosure from one side of the room to the other that they can have issues with it

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
  • 02-08-2019, 07:30 PM
    e_nigma
    If you pick up sticks, haha, make sure you treat them so you do not bring any pests or outside bacteria into the setup. Pretty easy to find guides on stripping and baking woods, making sure to not use branches that are potentially hazardous.
  • 02-08-2019, 07:34 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    I don't know if it's true or not because I've never tried it but I've heard that if you just move a ball python enclosure from one side of the room to the other that they can have issues with it

Well it makes sense, as suddenly their "view" is different. In the wild, it's imperative that they learn their way around...they have to know where to hide from predators,
    & to take shelter from heat & cold temperatures. Those that fail at this do not survive, so yes, changing their world around may seem like "nothing" to us, especially if
    it's in the same room, but it matters to them...and they have no choice since they are held in captivity. Some adapt faster than others.
  • 02-08-2019, 09:43 PM
    Jellybeans
    Well my boys got it together I just hope he stays that way