Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,899

2 members and 2,897 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
  • 10-07-2019, 09:33 AM
    TopazEye
    Uncommon/Underrated Snakes?
    This will probably be my last thread for quiet a while as I feel I am posting too much. However I wanted to ask what snakes you think should be kept more often in the hobby or are underrated? I see many people looking for snakes such as Russian Rats but I dont see many people breeding them?
  • 10-07-2019, 10:42 AM
    wnateg
    Oh wow, russian rat snakes look sick.

Obligatory, scrub python. And ringneck snakes are pretty cool, but I read they just don't do well in captivity.
  • 10-07-2019, 10:54 AM
    sur3fir3
    viper boas. Nex to impossible to breed from wht I heard, but they are really cool animals, especially the red phase.
  • 10-07-2019, 11:00 AM
    TopazEye
    Re: Uncommon/Underrated Snakes?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    Oh wow, russian rat snakes look sick.

Obligatory, scrub python. And ringneck snakes are pretty cool, but I read they just don't do well in captivity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    viper boas. Nex to impossible to breed from wht I heard, but they are really cool animals, especially the red phase.

Scrubs are awesome, I dont know much about them though. Viber boas are something I learned about recently, they look really great but I've only seen one or two sellers on morphmarket/fauna.

Also I just learned how to double quote :D
  • 10-07-2019, 12:01 PM
    MarkL1561
    Dumerils boas, they’re perfectly sized and extremely docile. There aren’t many breeders though and no morphs that I’m aware of. There’s definitely opportunity with breeding them as people look for something “new”. I think BP have become so popular that some avoid them because they’re too common, so something medium sized and uncommon might have higher demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 10-07-2019, 12:14 PM
    Bogertophis
    I think most kinds of rat snakes are way under-rated. People know about corn snakes, & yes, they're great but many aren't aware of things like Baird's & Trans Pecos
    rat snakes that make great pets, or even Everglades rat snakes (talk about bright orange!). In fact, that's why I chose my handle here- Bogertophis subocularis is a
    Trans Pecos rat snake...I figured some might be curious & look it up. Some rat snakes are feistier than others, & knowing that this forum's focus is on ball pythons-
    a notoriously docile snake- may I once again heartily recommend both Baird's & Trans Pecos rat snakes for those wanting a mid-side and docile pet, other than a
    ball python. :snake:

Australian spotted pythons are in this category too, though some have said theirs are nippy, I haven't found that at all with the one I've kept for 10+ years so far.
  • 10-07-2019, 12:21 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Id really love to see Angolan Pythons more readily available.
  • 10-07-2019, 01:06 PM
    TopazEye
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think most kinds of rat snakes are way under-rated. People know about corn snakes, & yes, they're great but many aren't aware of things like Baird's & Trans Pecos
    rat snakes that make great pets, or even Everglades rat snakes (talk about bright orange!). In fact, that's why I chose my handle here- Bogertophis subocularis is a
    Trans Pecos rat snake...I figured some might be curious & look it up. Some rat snakes are feistier than others, & knowing that this forum's focus is on ball pythons-
    a notoriously docile snake- may I once again heartily recommend both Baird's & Trans Pecos rat snakes for those wanting a mid-side and docile pet, other than a
    ball python. :snake:

Australian spotted pythons are in this category too, though some have said theirs are nippy, I haven't found that at all with the one I've kept for 10+ years so far.

Trans Pecos are beautiful, I'm partial to larger snakes but if I ever got another smaller coloubrid they would be on my list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Id really love to see Angolan Pythons more readily available.

I actually had to look these up. They almost look like a bit like a BP. Really cool looking pythons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    Dumerils boas, they’re perfectly sized and extremely docile. There aren’t many breeders though and no morphs that I’m aware of. There’s definitely opportunity with breeding them as people look for something “new”. I think BP have become so popular that some avoid them because they’re too common, so something medium sized and uncommon might have higher demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durmerils are a snake I considered before getting my BP, very nice although I wish they had morphs. An albino durm would be sick.
  • 10-07-2019, 01:23 PM
    Bogertophis
    And TopazEye, I really don't think you're "posting too much" at all. :confusd: Forums are here for conversations of all kinds...silence kills them, so bring it on! :cool:
  • 10-07-2019, 01:41 PM
    cletus
    The Antaresia Pythons. Childrens, Spotted, Stimsons and Pygmy. Such cool pythons. Like miniature retics. Seems like they should be more popular in the US. They aren't very expensive, easy to keep. Gorgeous animals.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...ens-Python.jpg