Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,878

1 members and 2,877 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 09-11-2019, 08:00 PM
    Gocntry
    Regurge from baby BP, Now what?
    Ok I haven't experienced this yet,

Bean, the baby BP I aquired has had a regurge.

I bought home Bean Sunday, August 31. Was looking very skinny to me, and weighed in at 79 grams

Offered a 9g mouse on Sunday Sept 01, (Sunday was to be feeding day) and was accepted no problem

Bean used the bathroom on Friday, Sept 06, Sunday Sept 08, was offered another 9g mouse, accepted no issues,

Today Sept 11, daughter found a regurge in the cage after school (about 3pm),

Not to be gross but the regurge look pretty digested from the nose down to about the rear hips, mouse looked pretty whole from there back. (hips,rear legs ect).

She was in a split 20g tank (split with cardboard so couldn't see other side). I was going to move her into her own 10 gallon tonite.

So now I should just let her be for 2 weeks? Fresh water changes only? After 2 weeks change her to the 10 gallon, then attempt to feed mouse one size down?

I don't want to deprive her of food too long, but don't want to feed too soon either. (Ugh poor snake).

As long as this is the only regurge is a vet visit required?

Any guidance is appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Jeff
  • 09-11-2019, 08:33 PM
    bcr229
    Leave her alone for three weeks, don't change up the enclosure, and make double sure your temps and humidity are correct.

While you are waiting pick up some NutriBAC reptile probiotic, you can find it on Amazon.

In three weeks offer a wet/damp f/t mouse hopper dusted with a bit of the NutriBAC powder. If that stays down offer another in ten days. If that stays down offer another in seven days, and if all goes well you can start moving up to weekly feedings of normal-sized meals.

Since this is a new arrival it absolutely must be quarantined well away from your other snakes in case the regurge was due to a highly contagious illness like crypto rather than from stress or a husbandry issue, especially since it's from a commercial pet store where it was co-habbed per your other posts.
  • 09-11-2019, 09:03 PM
    dakski
    Re: Regurge from baby BP, Now what?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Leave her alone for three weeks, don't change up the enclosure, and make double sure your temps and humidity are correct.

While you are waiting pick up some NutriBAC reptile probiotic, you can find it on Amazon.

In three weeks offer a wet/damp f/t mouse hopper dusted with a bit of the NutriBAC powder. If that stays down offer another in ten days. If that stays down offer another in seven days, and if all goes well you can start moving up to weekly feedings of normal-sized meals.

Since this is a new arrival it absolutely must be quarantined well away from your other snakes in case the regurge was due to a highly contagious illness like crypto rather than from stress or a husbandry issue, especially since it's from a commercial pet store where it was co-habbed per your other posts.

What bcr229 said, with emphasis on proper quarantine (ask if you do not know how to do that) and no cross contamination with other reptiles.

Also, if she is not sick, which is hopefully the case, and again, said, make sure all temps and humidity are spot on.

Snake can regurgitate if hot spot is too cold OR too hot because they will avoid it.

Good luck and as mentioned, if you are not sure about anything, just ask.
  • 09-11-2019, 09:07 PM
    Bogertophis
    And we're all pulling for you, for your new baby BP to make a good recovery, with nothing serious going on. :please: I agree with above posts.
  • 09-12-2019, 06:24 AM
    Gocntry
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post

Ugh no feeding for 3 weeks, I feel really bad about that, because she already looked under fed :(.

NutriBAC ordered, will be here tomorrow

Ok, "hopper" would be what size? Perfect Prey says 7-12g. It was a 9g she didn't keep down, about that size again? or go a little smaller size? I'm sure after 3 weeks she will be really hungry, but don't want to over do it.

I have a "snake room" the other snakes are in, after 60-90 wait and their visit to the snek Doc for a checkup, mite and r.i checks, no one goes in there until then, Bean is the next room over, as far away from the door as possible in my small house.

The 20g she is in now is split, with the other snake that was at the store, the other one is moved into a waiting 10 gal and put in a 3rd bed room just for safety for her too.

Any symptoms of crypto I should look for? I googled that, nasty stuff, I hope that's not what she has.

Thanks For All the guidance and info.
  • 09-12-2019, 10:24 AM
    Bogertophis
    For sure, feed smaller when you do feed her & use the NutriBac, that should help some. TLC...poor little :snake:
  • 09-12-2019, 11:19 AM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    Ok, "hopper" would be what size? Perfect Prey says 7-12g. It was a 9g she didn't keep down, about that size again? or go a little smaller size? I'm sure after 3 weeks she will be really hungry, but don't want to over do it.

I would try a large fuzzy or small hopper, something 6-7 grams.
  • 09-13-2019, 08:20 AM
    Gocntry
    Ok I know I ask enough question to drive ya'll crazy....

But what about Bean's former co-habbed buddy?

Bitey ate a 10g mouse 2 Sunday's ago, an 11g mouse last Sunday, kept it down no regurge. Now this Sunday should I give her a break too?,

or feed as normal? I don't want to over due her and have her sick too. And for reference she weighed 97 grams 2 Sundays ago.

The collective knowledge here is Awesome, I learn new stuff everyday, And I appreciate all of it!!
  • 09-13-2019, 08:55 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    Ok I know I ask enough question to drive ya'll crazy....

But what about Bean's former co-habbed buddy?

Bitey ate a 10g mouse 2 Sunday's ago, an 11g mouse last Sunday, kept it down no regurge. Now this Sunday should I give her a break too?,

or feed as normal? I don't want to over due her and have her sick too. And for reference she weighed 97 grams 2 Sundays ago.

The collective knowledge here is Awesome, I learn new stuff everyday, And I appreciate all of it!!

Feeding Bitey is fine if he's holding down the food.

However, proper quarantine for BOTH new additions. Separate rooms, no cross contamination, and handle them last and do not go back to other reptiles. Assume both are sick, even if they are not.
  • 09-14-2019, 02:51 PM
    Gocntry
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Feeding Bitey is fine if he's holding down the food.

However, proper quarantine for BOTH new additions. Separate rooms, no cross contamination, and handle them last and do not go back to other reptiles. Assume both are sick, even if they are not.

Good to hear... I think Bitey is getting hungry.. You can just see her peeking out of the hide on the left side, She stretched out over the water dish to the glass and checked things out.. So feed day is Sunday, she should be ready

I'll go with a smaller 9g mouse, Should I give her a Nutribac sprinkle too??

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...=w1280-h720-no