Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,481

4 members and 2,477 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

snake finally coming out

Printable View

• 09-16-2022, 12:01 AM
    Cerberrus
    snake finally coming out
    Hey there guys new snake owner here i was just wondering my snake has been hiding for about 3 months now she finally eat about 1 week ago but tru up her food. she is now coming out when i am doing stuff in her tank and getting close to me i have not held her yet or let he smell me cus i am worried. last time i tried she went to bite me. she was very friendly before i bought her so i was wondering should i let her smell me and worst case take the bite or should i give her some more time now that she is finally moving around.
  • 09-16-2022, 12:12 AM
    Bogertophis
    It would help to know what kind of enclosure your snake is in. Most hungry snakes, when kept in a glass tank (or in an enclosure where they're looking out from behind plexi), will "chase" (aka "follow") the motion of anyone nearby when they're hungry.

If I had to guess, I'd say that's what is going on here. Your snake is feeling hungry, & just following your motion- they don't recognize us just using vision- they recognize us when we give them our scent & touch, & if you do that the wrong way (& with a hungry snake), that's likely to get you nipped.

It's too soon (only one week after your snake threw up her meal) to feed OR handle her- let her rest for at least another week before trying again with a very small meal. Do NOT handle her right now, and do not handle her before you try again to feed her in a week or so...feeding is WAY more important for her health- actually, for her very survival-(as I recall, you said she hadn't eaten in 3 months since you've had this snake???).

Handling can wait. Feeding properly is "job one".
  • 09-16-2022, 12:16 AM
    Cerberrus
    Re: snake finally coming out
    okay perfect no rush to hold her i care about her first so you thin wait about 1-2 weeks before i feed
  • 09-16-2022, 12:21 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerberrus View Post
    okay perfect no rush to hold her i care about her first so you thin wait about 1-2 weeks before i feed

Yes, & feed smaller than you did before & smaller than what she'd normally eat- to make SURE she can digest it. I'm not kidding- snakes can actually die if they regurgitate several meals in a row- it's important- essential!- that she keeps the next meal down. If she does, I still wouldn't handle her until she has a couple more meals eaten & digested.

Keep the meals small for a while- this is to make sure she's okay (able to digest) & not actually sick. After a snake throws up a meal, it takes time for them to replenish their digestive enzymes- especially if they're chronically underfed already- & from what you said, this is likely the case.
  • 09-16-2022, 12:23 AM
    Cerberrus
    okay i fed a frozen wean last time so maybe i will try a live rat and smaller then wean
  • 09-16-2022, 12:28 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

okay i fed a frozen wean last time so maybe i will try a live rat and smaller then wean

No- that's not sounding right. Can you post pics of this snake, next to something like a ruler for size comparison?

These are small snakes that normally do NOT eat rats, at all. If you fed her something too big, THAT could have caused a regurgitation.

Also, spotted pythons generally PREFER f/t (frozen-thawed, or pre-killed) prey, not live. It's important that a weakened, underfed snake is fed the right thing & the right way- if you want her to live???
  • 09-16-2022, 12:33 AM
    Cerberrus
    she is back into hiding but i got this pick a little bit ago. she had about 2-3 inch of her body in the hideout. the bowl she is on is 10" long

file:///C:/Users/lukac/OneDrive/Pictures/20220915_235251.jpg
  • 09-16-2022, 12:36 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

she is back into hiding but i got this pick a little bit ago. she had about 2-3 inch of her body in the hideout

file:///C:/Users/lukac/OneDrive/Pictures/20220915_235251.jpg

How to post pics on this forum: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures
  • 09-16-2022, 12:43 AM
    Cerberrus
    There we go had to get the apphttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0befca96e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk
  • 09-16-2022, 01:20 AM
    Bogertophis
    Now some size reference would be nice...;)