Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

1 members and 3,351 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Shedding Aid

Printable View

• 09-03-2019, 11:21 AM
    SilasHorn'sHerptiles
    Shedding Aid
    I have seen sprays labeled shedding aid everywhere. I have never needed one and I haven't met anyone who has used one so I was wondering if anyone on here has experience. If anyone knows how they work and how well they work especially compared to the free option of soaking I'd appreciate the info thanks. :)
  • 09-03-2019, 11:24 AM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    It's a waste of money the only shedding aid you need is proper husbandry which is not only necessary for proper shed but also proper health.
  • 09-03-2019, 11:29 AM
    Bogertophis
    Don't bother buying...if your snake has trouble shedding, give them a humid hide (either full-time or during sheds, depending on their humidity requirements)
    &-or a soak in shallow, luke-warm water (or in a saturated towel, etc) to help remove a stuck shed.
  • 09-03-2019, 11:30 AM
    sur3fir3
    The best shedding aid u can use is good old water. Waste of money.
  • 09-03-2019, 11:31 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Re: Shedding Aid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    It's a waste of money the only shedding aid you need is proper husbandry which is not only necessary for proper shed but also proper health.

I second this entirely. With proper husbandry they shouldn't need any help with shedding. Soaks shouldn't be necessary either.
  • 09-03-2019, 11:45 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    ... Soaks shouldn't be necessary either.

Sometimes they just are. ;) Like my 20-year old corn snake sometimes needs a soak. Snakes dealing with age or illness may need help, when their digestion is no
    longer working as well as it once did. A soak can help them re-hydrate, & also encourages them to drink. Not all snakes are in perfect health.
  • 09-03-2019, 11:49 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Sometimes they just are. ;) Like my 20-year old corn snake sometimes needs a soak. Snakes dealing with age or illness may need help, when their digestion is no
    longer working as well as it once did. A soak can help them re-hydrate, & also encourages them to drink. Not all snakes are in perfect health.

There are exceptions to every rule. But in general, soaking shouldn't be needed as part of the typical shed cycle.
  • 09-03-2019, 12:13 PM
    SilasHorn'sHerptiles
    Thanks for the responses. I assumed it wasn't worth it but I wondered how well it works. If they are trying to compete with a natural and extremely easy free option like a good soak it would have to make all the shed fly off the snake. So far I haven't found a single person who bought a shedding aid and I definitely understand why, but I'm curious. Not quite curious enough to try it on my own snake.
  • 09-03-2019, 12:22 PM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

This ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 09-09-2019, 02:30 AM
    Joykoins
    Shedding aid?
    Sounds more like snake oil to me :B *badum tiss*