Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,400

2 members and 3,398 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
  • 09-01-2013, 01:01 AM
    MsMissy
    There goes my next two paychecks... Is the heat tape a must or could I use my heat pad?

Is the floor recessed on the t-8? As in, could I still easily use my reptibark without it falling all over the place when I open the door?

*editted to avoid back to back posts.
  • 09-01-2013, 01:04 AM
    The Serpent Merchant
    Re: How to Setup a Glass Tank (20 long) With Pictures!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMissy View Post
    There goes my next two paychecks... Is the heat tape a must or could I use my heat pad?

I would get some heat tape from RBI vs ordering it from AP. Heat tape is the best option. You could try it with a heating pad first but the 1/2" thick PVC floor tends to be more than a regular heating pad can handle.
  • 09-01-2013, 09:43 PM
    The Serpent Merchant
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMissy View Post

Is the floor recessed on the t-8? As in, could I still easily use my reptibark without it falling all over the place when I open the door?

*editted to avoid back to back posts.

There is a substrate dam that prevents substrate from coming out when the cage doors are open.

You can sort of see it in this picture:

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...8.jpg~original
  • 09-04-2013, 01:10 AM
    Bluebonnet Herp
    All the more reason for me to get my butt into a job - my parents couldn't care and it seems that I need to improve my snakes' caging back to optimal levels. Yikes!
  • 09-04-2013, 01:35 AM
    LooptyLoo
    Okay, total obvious newbie question, but why the heat lamp in the center? Mine is off to one side, is that not good?

This whole post is wonderful, Aaron!
  • 09-04-2013, 01:39 AM
    The Serpent Merchant
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LooptyLoo View Post
    Okay, total obvious newbie question, but why the heat lamp in the center? Mine is off to one side, is that not good?

This whole post is wonderful, Aaron!

The under tank heater is set off to one side, and it is what's actually creating the 90 degree hotspot. The air on the hot side however doesn't need to be that warm. The heat lamp is centered so it can evenly heat the air in the cage to 80 degrees. This uses less electricity and helps keep humidity higher.

If you are using a heat lamp as the only heat source on a cage it should be offset to one side or the other.
  • 09-04-2013, 01:40 AM
    LooptyLoo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    The under tank heater is set off to one side, and it is what's actually creating the 90 degree hotspot. The air on the hot side however doesn't need to be that warm. The heat lamp is centered so it can evenly heat the air in the cage to 80 degrees. This uses less electricity and helps keep humidity higher.

If you are using a heat lamp as the only heat source on a cage it should be offset to one side or the other.

Okay, got it! Thank you :)
  • 09-04-2013, 05:15 AM
    ROACH
    Question.....Do your snakes not push the screen up and get out? Or did I miss something in the steps?
  • 09-04-2013, 06:07 AM
    The Serpent Merchant
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
    Question.....Do your snakes not push the screen up and get out? Or did I miss something in the steps?

The king snake in this cage isn't strong enough to push it open. Having someway to secure the lid is best. Cage clips work well as do bricks which is what I use.
  • 09-04-2013, 06:25 AM
    ROACH
    Quote:

Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    The king snake in this cage isn't strong enough to push it open. Having someway to secure the lid is best. Cage clips work well as do bricks which is what I use.

Ok cool, Thanks