Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,888

0 members and 2,888 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 12-03-2016, 02:43 PM
    Joshyboy
    At what age did you get your first snake?
    Curious as to what age everyone got their first snake
  • 12-03-2016, 02:51 PM
    TurkeyPython
    Re: At what age did you get your first snake?
    Well... my mom has always had snakes and they were "mine" but I didn't cover any costs but I did care for them. the first one that was actually mine, as in I paid for it and and paid for everything, was when I was 12... I'm not sure if that counts as 11-17 or under 10.
  • 12-03-2016, 03:01 PM
    tttaylorrr
    i held my first snake when i was 24, and 6 months later i bought a ball python. 😀

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
  • 12-03-2016, 03:20 PM
    cletus
    I was about 12. Was a brown water snake. Caught it near my house.
  • 12-03-2016, 03:28 PM
    iLikeSneks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    i held my first snake when i was 24, and 6 months later i bought a ball python. 😀

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Held my first snake when I bought my first ball ... ~3 months ago at 24 🙃

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
  • 12-03-2016, 03:55 PM
    Zincubus
    I got my first snake in my late 40's !!!!

They were never even an option or a consideration when I was growing up even though I had a massive collection of rubber snakes ....

I did have a Tortoise and two ducks , two baby goats , a racing pigeon , cats and dogs , hamsters , rabbits and Guinea pigs , and some Piranhas oh and a pet Pike so I really can't complain . I've tried to make up for things since I got hooked on snakes though ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 12-03-2016, 04:27 PM
    jmcrook
    I was ten, almost eleven years old. An anerytheristic corn snake for Christmas that year. Took me like a year and a half of persistent research and annoying my mother enough that she finally caved in hahaa! 21 years later I still actually know and do business with the breeder my mom got the corn snake from. When he heard I got my SD retic he told me all about how he financed his whole ball python operation by selling Super Dwarfs. Apparently I then inspired him to get a pair of SD Tiger Retics and to buy back a pair from his original wild caught bloodline lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 12-03-2016, 04:31 PM
    Joshyboy
    now I wanna know how everyone got their first snake lol. I got most of mine by sneaking them into the house, without permission but I feel like someone has a fun story. I actually wasn't even supposed to have snakes because my mom and grandmother are afraid of them but being the rebellious teenager I am, I went and bought a ball python from a friends shop he owns and put it under my bed in a tub with a heating pad. Kept it there for 2 weeks and set up a glass tank hoping my mom would just see it and I'd say I have had it for 2 weeks and I'm attached, thinking she'd let me keep it. And it worked. 2 weeks later my dad takes me to the store and I have secretly saved enough money to buy my second snake which was spot my spotted python, and come to find out I was $1 short exactly so I run out and ask my dad for a dollar and he only keeps his debit card on him, no cash. He kind of saw how I needed the money and was curious because I had so much going in and figured it out and went in and just bought the snake for me. He just let me keep the cash too. Third snake I got was my corn snake and I really wanted one, so when we went to a reptile show and I saw one with my parents and I when held it they gave in after not much begging and let me buy him. Fourth snake I just snuck in like the first lol. Anyone else have any fun stories?
  • 12-03-2016, 05:36 PM
    CitricPrincess
    I got my first snake at 21, when I moved out of my parent's house. Mom wasn't even extremely psyched when I came home from my first couple years of college with a Crested Gecko. (Constantly reminding me that why when she was growing up, there were wild geckos and they were seen as pests. Mind, they weren't quite so pretty as these, but still, she grew up seeing geckos as pets. Why on earth would you want one as a pet?) The only reptiles I had before then were the anoles my school sent home free after a science project in elementary school. I'm really quite sure those poor things didn't live nearly to life expectancy... I didn't know crap about taking care of them, nor did my younger brother, and no one else in our family liked reptiles enough to care. Never allowed to have a snake growing up. Mother would freak out if I even mentioned I had seen a ribbon snake in the yard (it didn't help that it went with out saying I tried to catch it). Somehow we talked her into letting my younger brother have a scorpion. Still convinced magic was involved in this.

Mind, now if I'm coming home for an extended visit, she grudgingly allows me to bring home the whole family if I'm gonna be there too long to leave them (very very rare, I hate traveling, and dislike leaving my territory for long ^.^) I can't take them upstairs (while she's home) and am technically not supposed to have them out of their keeps, in my hands or otherwise, and I can't remind her that they are actually in the house, but she does let them come into the house. So there's that.

But yeah, lol, moved into an apartment for school, and got a snake as soon as I was able. Been wanting one since my friend got a couple ball pythons in 4th grade.
  • 12-03-2016, 05:37 PM
    Meerna
    Held my first snake at 6, bought my first snake at 16