Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,120

3 members and 3,117 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 01-14-2021, 05:49 AM
    CrystalGryphon
    Tips/thoughts on decorating large enclosure?
    Hi all!
    so I recently ordered an enclosure upgrade for my year old BP, as he’s outgrown his current bin setup and I wanted a nice looking permanent home for him. I thought I’d pop in here since I wanted to get some advice for decorating.

it’s a 4x2x2 PVC enclosure (specifically the Evolution 4 PVC enclosure from custom reptile habitats). Eventually I’d like to go bioactive but for the time being regular fake stuff will do.
    I have plenty of fake plants for clutter and plastic hides but they’re not exactly, well... appealing. Just cheap stuff that was sufficient to make him feel secure, not meant to look particularly pretty.

So anyway, to get to the point, what do you guys do for decoration? Ideally nice setups that that won’t break the bank (lets say $100 give or take as far as budget goes). Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    I already have plans to go out to gather and sanitize some hardwood branches and possibly rocks, but outside of this I’m not really sure what to do outside of the basic tactic of buying some fake plants and kind of throwing them in there.
  • 01-14-2021, 09:44 AM
    Hugsplox
    Re: Tips/thoughts on decorating large enclosure?
    I love to send people to aquarium stores for supplies for larger enclosures. Especially if you have a really good local fish store that has aqua scaping supplies. They typically have larger rocks and pieces of wood that are already ready to go in an aquarium, so they should be safe for your snake. It's hard to find bigger pieces going to pet stores, and typically buying stuff this way it ends up being a little cheaper.

You can also check out arts and crafts stores, I got some great deals on fake plants that were way cheaper and better quality than what I was buying from the big box pet stores to do me decorating. You still wanna wash everything, get the dust and any chemicals off, and pay attention to what they're made of, but you can usually find some good stuff.
  • 01-14-2021, 10:28 AM
    bcr229
    Fake plastic plants work well, especially from craft stores, but go over them with a fine-tooth comb to ensure there are no exposed pointy wire ends or enclosed loops your snake can get stuck in. I remember reading that one guy had his snake get stuck in the plastic wire loop used to attach manufacturer's tags or a price tag, but the documents had been ripped off and the loop was almost invisible.

I would avoid anything absorbent as excrement tends to soak in, and that's almost impossible to clean.

Cleaned rocks are great, just set them up so they are stable and can't fall and crush your snake.
  • 01-14-2021, 10:39 AM
    CrystalGryphon
    Re: Tips/thoughts on decorating large enclosure?
    Thank you both! I was thinking of checking out the mom and pop aquatics store down the road from me to see what they have, and this is as good of an excuse as any! I was also recommended Home Depot elsewhere for some good stuff.

and yeah I should have specified I do know the drill with the fake plants haha! Rest assured all the plants he already has were checked over and boiled to ensure they’re sanitary and won’t leak dyes.