Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,866

1 members and 2,865 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 04-04-2017, 01:48 AM
    FlynnTheBP
    New Ducklings-Coming April 24th
    So, a little background,
    I'm an avid poultry keeper and have owned ducks, quail, chickens, etc., in the past. A few months ago I decided to get myself a pair of ducks to help out with the snails in the garden. I ordered hatchery choice, which is an assorted mix of random ducklings, and ended up with two female runner ducks. Runners are funny looking to say the least, they walk upright and run unlike other ducks, who waddle. They also seem to stay away from water for the most part though mine did swim on occasion. So, my two ducklings arrived in the mail, cute and chirping, and I raised them indoors before moving them outside. They had a pen I built for them complete with a tub for swimming and a large yard to free range in. The two were doing great and just began to lay eggs when tragedy struck. A week ago I left for vacation and my ducks were put into a care of a close friend who came to lock them in their pen each night. Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication with said friend, and the ducks ended up being outside, their pen was useless without the door closed, and alone for three days and nights. I'm not sure when, my friend found them when they came, but both of my pets were killed by a predator, most likely a raccoon or bobcat. I felt terrible and was close to tears since I'd raised these two from babies. They followed me around like I was their mother and ate from my hands. I was pretty torn up, but I'll also admit, with a lot of guilt, that my thoughts quickly turned to ducklings, some of the best possible things to comfort you. Before I knew it, I'd ordered another pair of ducks for the yard, a jumbo peking and a black swedish. I know it might be too soon, but the mistake definitely won't happen again and it was nothing I can fix now. Anyway, I'll post pictures when the little cuties get here, I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival! Their hatch date is April 24th-26th, so I should get them by the end of the month. I'm pretty excited and a little nervous to go through the stress of raising ducks again. They're messy and loud, but they are definitely worth it. :D
  • 04-04-2017, 08:10 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Sorry for your loss. I'm glad you're right back it, though. I can't wait to see pics!!!
  • 04-04-2017, 02:57 PM
    FlynnTheBP
    Re: New Ducklings-Coming April 24th
    Quote:

Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Sorry for your loss. I'm glad you're right back it, though. I can't wait to see pics!!!

Thanks Craig, I'm excited too! Since pics are a long way off here's one of my runners:[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...%2F24vjiax.jpg[/IMG]
  • 04-04-2017, 03:20 PM
    distaff
    Ducks are fun.

I've raised Cayugas and Muscovies. In many ways, I prefer them over chickens (at least, the flighty flock I have now!) Will probably get some ducks later this summer (haven't decided on a breed), and the chickens can go into the stew pot.

Enjoy!
  • 04-04-2017, 03:40 PM
    Fraido
    That's awesome, can't wait to see pics of the little baby duckies!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
  • 04-04-2017, 04:35 PM
    FlynnTheBP
    Quote:

Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Ducks are fun.

I've raised Cayugas and Muscovies. In many ways, I prefer them over chickens (at least, the flighty flock I have now!) Will probably get some ducks later this summer (haven't decided on a breed), and the chickens can go into the stew pot.

Enjoy!

I love cayugas! I'm not sure about Muscovies, I don't care much for their looks but I've never owned any. How's their temperament?
  • 04-04-2017, 04:48 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    I miss having ducks, sadly here having free range ducks or chicken is just not working out, probably need geese instead. :rolleyes:
  • 04-04-2017, 07:13 PM
    FlynnTheBP
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I miss having ducks, sadly here having free range ducks or chicken is just not working out, probably need geese instead. :rolleyes:

Aw, I know the feeling. We have so many predators here that we lock all the animals in mid afternoon. I thought about getting a flock of geese instead of ducks, but I don't have a large enough enclosure or a lawn I'm okay with them grazing in. Anyway, we've got enough canada geese around here to last a lifetime...:D
  • 04-20-2017, 10:00 PM
    DLena
    Don't forget to post pictures of your new babies! They should be coming next week, right? When I was in kindergarten, we hatched chicken eggs and mine grew into a handsome rooster. We had him for years. I've never been in a position to have more.
  • 05-01-2017, 09:31 PM
    FlynnTheBP
    [IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...m%2Fmtm0kk.jpg[/IMG]Sorry, I've been very busy with the new ducks, but here are a couple pictures. Enjoy! (Black and yellow is a Black Swedish and the yellow is a Jumbo Peking)
    [IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...m%2Fa334wn.jpg[/IMG]