Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,314

1 members and 3,313 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Need help on Rat Qty.

Printable View

• 07-11-2008, 12:29 PM
    JoshJP7
    Need help on Rat Qty.
    I'm looking to breed rats in the future and am wondering how many rats this rack would hold... I've read somewhere that you can keep 2 females in a tub but I'm looking for a more exact number... any help is appreciated. http://www.freedombreeder.com/cage.php?cageID=19
  • 07-11-2008, 12:32 PM
    Freakie_frog
    Re: Need help on Rat Qty.
    I keep 4-5 females and 1 male so that rack could hold 126 breeders
  • 07-11-2008, 12:33 PM
    littleindiangirl
    You could easily keep 3 adult rats in that size. 1 male, 2 females. Maybe even four, but for nursing females, I'd only do 2, as babies generate a lot of crap too.
  • 07-11-2008, 12:47 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Depends if you are using it for breeding alone or breeding and nursing.

For breeding and breeding only you can house 1.4 or 1.5

For breeding and nursing house 2 females per tubs and have the male(s) rotating between the tubs.
  • 07-12-2008, 04:09 PM
    JoshJP7
    Ok so I have 18 snakes to feed and I think I read somewhere that you need 12 females and 2 males to consistantly have 10 rats to feed each week...so to feed all 18 snakes I would need 24 females and 4 males?... Can you keep 2 females that are nursing in the same tub? What does everyone recommend using for food? Is there a specific type of rat that you prefer? why?... sorry about the 10000 questions, thank you for everyones help:)
  • 07-14-2008, 10:35 AM
    Gloryhound
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshJP7 View Post
    Ok so I have 18 snakes to feed and I think I read somewhere that you need 12 females and 2 males to consistantly have 10 rats to feed each week...so to feed all 18 snakes I would need 24 females and 4 males?... Can you keep 2 females that are nursing in the same tub? What does everyone recommend using for food? Is there a specific type of rat that you prefer? why?... sorry about the 10000 questions, thank you for everyones help:)

The 24 rats to have about 20 pups born a month sounds right the only problem we have run into is just like anything in nature time tables are not always perfect. One week you end up with tons of pups and the next you have a dry spell. Also you have to look into grow out racks as while a 100 Gram snake is perfectly happy eating a 2 week old pup a 2000 gram snake is going to go through a lot of pups every week. With this said you have to have hold back tubs so they can grow to small and medium size to feed your larger snakes. You start getting ball pythons from 3000 to 4000 grams you will probably need more grow outs, but also you may be able to feed them retired breeders. With all this said we have about 54 female rats in cycle to feed our 24 snakes. We generally have left overs that we generally will help out a friend with in exchange for a little rat block or bedding. We use the Home Depot Masonry tubs and put 3 females in each. We have some medium rat cages from big apple that we like to take the first nursing mom out of each masonry tub with her babies and put in these to give a little extra room.

For food we use rat block and table scraps. The dogs are a little mad at us, but they are getting closer to healthy weights again. :D

As far as the type goes we started with feeders from the pet store and after they supplied us with enough new babies we got rid of them. We through a couple fancies in the gene pool initially by getting fancy males to help strengthen the gene pool.
  • 07-14-2008, 10:49 AM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

Can you keep 2 females that are nursing in the same tub?
    Yes, however for a first time mom I would recommend housing her alone to see how she interact with her babies and if there is any health concerns.
    Quote:

What does everyone recommend using for food?
    Mazuri Rodet Breeder 6 F https://www.mazuri.com/PDF/5M30.pdf. To find a distributor near you just use the dealer locator https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=2

Quote:

Is there a specific type of rat that you prefer?
    Avoid high white rats (this does not include albinos). They are at a higher risk for megacolon http://www.ratbehavior.org/megacolon.htm
  • 07-14-2008, 10:58 AM
    cassandra
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloryhound View Post
    For food we use rat block and table scraps. The dogs are a little mad at us, but they are getting closer to healthy weights again. :D

Teehee! Poor dogs...

Fun fact: rats love left over sweet corn ears! *nomnomnom*
  • 07-14-2008, 12:56 PM
    jglass38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloryhound View Post
    The 24 rats to have about 20 pups born a month sounds right the only problem we have run into is just like anything in nature time tables are not always perfect. One week you end up with tons of pups and the next you have a dry spell. Also you have to look into grow out racks as while a 100 Gram snake is perfectly happy eating a 2 week old pup a 2000 gram snake is going to go through a lot of pups every week. With this said you have to have hold back tubs so they can grow to small and medium size to feed your larger snakes. You start getting ball pythons from 3000 to 4000 grams you will probably need more grow outs, but also you may be able to feed them retired breeders. With all this said we have about 54 female rats in cycle to feed our 24 snakes. We generally have left overs that we generally will help out a friend with in exchange for a little rat block or bedding. We use the Home Depot Masonry tubs and put 3 females in each. We have some medium rat cages from big apple that we like to take the first nursing mom out of each masonry tub with her babies and put in these to give a little extra room.

As far as the type goes we started with feeders from the pet store and after they supplied us with enough new babies we got rid of them. We through a couple fancies in the gene pool initially by getting fancy males to help strengthen the gene pool.

Wow! 54 adult females to feed 24 snakes? In the past I was able to feed 50+ snakes per week with about 8 groups of 1.4. I think your numbers are off. Can you clarify?
  • 07-14-2008, 01:01 PM
    littleindiangirl
    I have just about 18 adult breeding females to feed 16 snakes at any given time...