Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,285

2 members and 3,283 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

What Grinds Your Gears??

Printable View

• 03-27-2020, 01:45 PM
    Craiga 01453
    What Grinds Your Gears??
    I saw another thread about "60 seconds to vent" about the Corona situation...
    Made me think....

What Really Grinds Your Gears???

This is meant to be light hearted in a time of stress, anxiety and the general unknown.

Let's keep the Corona stuff in the Corona threads.

No attacking individuals or specific groups. Just GENERALIZED STUFF that GRINDS YOUR GEARS... No names, no organizations, just general everyday crap.

ie:
    People who chew their gum with their mouths wide open really grind my gears.

People who don't use turn signals really grind my gears

You get the idea....let's keep it fun, clean and have some laughs. We could all use it about now.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c9886b0863.jpg

Sent from my 6062W using Tapatalk
  • 03-27-2020, 01:45 PM
    SilentHill
    Re: What Grinds Your Gears??
    people that say VIN number.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  • 03-27-2020, 01:46 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentHill View Post
    people that say VIN number.

PERFECT!!!!!

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for!! Thanks for getting the ball rolling.
  • 03-27-2020, 01:49 PM
    Toad37
    Improper grammar really gets me. I'm always correcting people's sentences. I'm known around my house as the grammar Nazi!
  • 03-27-2020, 02:01 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    People that keep wanting to focus on the negative and rant instead of trying to focus on the positives in life especially difficult time :rolleyes:
  • 03-27-2020, 02:03 PM
    PToner
    People mixing up venom and poison:D
  • 03-27-2020, 02:04 PM
    cletus
    Not corona specific, but it really disappoints me when I see all the Sheep/Wolves memes talking about people with guns taking food and supplies from people without guns. Sadly, we gun owners are our worst enemy. Sometimes memes are just memes, but in the US, lots of people really feel that way. This is the "big one" they have been stockpiling ammo for and they just can't wait to use it. Sadly enough, I have relatives that fit into this category.
  • 03-27-2020, 02:14 PM
    WrongPython
    Sidewalk hogs. People staring at their phones who can't walk in a straight line, groups/couples who spread out and take up the entire path, bike/scooter riders, you name it. The worst are the people who refuse to practice courteous passing behavior -- you can make eye contact with them from five yards away, but they won't make the effort to step a foot or two to their side of the path to let you pass. People from all age groups are guilty of this. It was already an over-grown pet peeve of mine before the covid situation, but it really grinds my gears now!
  • 03-27-2020, 02:14 PM
    Lord Sorril
    Self-Identification forms with job applications really grinds my gears...that my skin color or cultural background (which is beyond my control) will influence my candidacy.
  • 03-27-2020, 03:21 PM
    Bogertophis
    Dogs left in cars parked in the sun...even with windows cracked for air, quickly over-heat even on a "nice" day that's "not hot" & can harm or kill the dog(s). Why can't
    ppl who claim they "LOVE their dogs & the dogs WANTED to come along" just learn to be the adult & say no to what can harm their pet...why can't they LEARN how fast
    cars heat up & that dogs cannot perspire, only by panting, & when the air is warm, they just get hotter & hotter....:mad:
  • 03-27-2020, 03:24 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Dogs left in cars parked in the sun...even with windows cracked for air, quickly over-heat even on a "nice" day that's "not hot" & can harm or kill the dog(s). Why can't
    ppl who claim they "LOVE their dogs & the dogs WANTED to come along" just learn to be the adult & say no to what can harm their pet...why can't they LEARN how fast
    cars heat up & that dogs cannot perspire, only by panting, & when the air is warm, they just get hotter & hotter....:mad:

Ooooh VERY good one!!!! I've actually had a heated exchange in a parking lot because someone did that. I finished my shopping and went back out, still there. I had my phone in hand about to call the police and the owner came over... I laid into him. Probably didn't teach him a thing though
  • 03-27-2020, 03:31 PM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PToner View Post
    People mixing up venom and poison:D

Many school biology texts books do that... then again they also more often than not class ALL snakes as egg layers ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 03-27-2020, 03:35 PM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    Sidewalk hogs. People staring at their phones who can't walk in a straight line, groups/couples who spread out and take up the entire path, bike/scooter riders, you name it. The worst are the people who refuse to practice courteous passing behavior -- you can make eye contact with them from five yards away, but they won't make the effort to step a foot or two to their side of the path to let you pass. People from all age groups are guilty of this. It was already an over-grown pet peeve of mine before the covid situation, but it really grinds my gears now!

We in England have droves of folk from the ages of 6 to 66 wandering around aimlessly, staring at their mobiles searching for Pingachu ..

• 03-27-2020, 03:39 PM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Self-Identification forms with job applications really grinds my gears...that my skin color or cultural background (which is beyond my control) will influence my candidacy.

That’s outrageous!

Back in the day before technology they used to always hire with a phone call or word of mouth followed by a face to face interview .. one of my claims to fame is that I had a 100% success rate if I could get myself in front of them .. many times I rejected their offer and used it to get a payrise out of my boss at the time ..

• 03-27-2020, 03:55 PM
    hilabeans
    The sound of chewing.

The word ginormous. (we have two perfectly good words - enormous and giant - both of which are actual words. No need to combine them to make a word that's not a word)

People who don't like dogs. Seriously, what's up with that.
  • 03-27-2020, 03:56 PM
    cletus
    I'm def with you all on the leaving dogs in the car on warm days. Even with the window cracked it gets dangerously hot. Just a cruel thing to do.
  • 03-27-2020, 04:26 PM
    SilentHill
    pacific vs. specific
    fusstrated vs. frustrated

• 03-27-2020, 04:35 PM
    Cheesenugget
    The 'woe is me' people, does nothing to improve their situation, especially when they rely on help on others and still complains that is not enough.
  • 03-27-2020, 05:03 PM
    bcr229
    Web sites that have so many ads, popups, videos that run automatically, etc. that they bog down my computer. Cooking/recipe sites seem to be the worst offenders.

I understand that sites need ad revenue but the average user is impatient. If a page takes more than a few seconds to load there's a good chance people will avoid it.
  • 03-28-2020, 04:41 AM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    The sound of chewing.

The word ginormous. (we have two perfectly good words - enormous and giant - both of which are actual words. No need to combine them to make a word that's not a word)

People who don't like dogs. Seriously, what's up with that.

I have a similar issue with a word ..,

Opine

I hate when people crowbar it into a sentence rather than just using opinion

• 03-28-2020, 09:35 AM
    cincy
    People at the grocery who shop/stop in the middle of the aisle!
  • 03-28-2020, 09:42 AM
    ballpythonluvr
    When people say prolly instead of probably.
  • 03-28-2020, 11:53 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cincy View Post

Ooooh, this one gets me too!!!
  • 03-28-2020, 12:11 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

It's even "better" when they're catching up gossip with another shopper, 2 ppl + 2 carts, & oblivious to everyone who's actually trying to shop. Shouldn't be seeing this so much now, but who knows?
  • 03-28-2020, 01:45 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It's even "better" when they're catching up gossip with another shopper, 2 ppl + 2 carts, & oblivious to everyone who's actually trying to shop. Shouldn't be seeing this so much now, but who knows?

And then when you say "excuse me" they look at you like you're interrupting...
  • 03-28-2020, 01:57 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post

EXactly! Or they'll be on their phones & blocking aisles....:taz:
  • 03-28-2020, 04:17 PM
    Spicey
    Quote:

Or even better, when you try to slide past them, they yell out "d***, you're a pushy b****!" And I mean YELL. Not that it ever happened to me.... :sarcasm:
  • 03-28-2020, 05:41 PM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Sorry about that :)

I’m so easily distracted

• 03-28-2020, 05:44 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Sorry about that :)

I’m so easily distracted

Hahahhahaha!!! :rofl:
  • 03-28-2020, 06:46 PM
    Southpaw91
    when people say "irregardless." Instant eye twitch.
  • 03-28-2020, 07:26 PM
    Toad37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Southpaw91 View Post
    when people say "irregardless." Instant eye twitch.

A giant involuntary eye twitch! I even cringed when I read it.
  • 03-28-2020, 08:29 PM
    Southpaw91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    A giant involuntary eye twitch! I even cringed when I read it.

It's even better when someone uses it in an argument. I just walk away like, well I guess you win, because can't argue with stupid. That's like trying to nail jello to a tree.
  • 03-28-2020, 08:31 PM
    Bogertophis
    Anyone who dumps an unwanted pet of ANY kind...THAT grinds MY gears! :(
  • 03-28-2020, 10:25 PM
    wnateg
    People who drive slow in the passing lane.
  • 03-28-2020, 11:10 PM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    People who drive slow in the passing lane.

I know cops who will pull people over for that before they pull someone for speeding.
  • 03-28-2020, 11:16 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I know cops who will pull people over for that before they pull someone for speeding.

Well either way is unsafe...sometimes slow drivers are under the influence & trying to compensate, or they have vision or other physical issues & maybe shouldn't be driving any longer, whereas fast drivers* are more likely younger & reckless in other ways. *Except for my late mom...she never lost her "lead foot". :D
  • 03-29-2020, 03:24 PM
    cletus
    Getting chocolate and marshmellow all in my beard when I bite into a thick smore...
  • 03-29-2020, 03:51 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    Getting chocolate and marshmellow all in my beard when I bite into a thick smore...

:rofl:At least you have some for later...maybe that's why they're called "s'mores"?
  • 03-29-2020, 04:22 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cletus View Post

That, good sir, is the truth!!
  • 03-31-2020, 03:45 PM
    SilentHill
    mattresses without sheets!!!!

those new flimsy cloth harnesses everyone uses on their dogs now.
  • 03-31-2020, 06:10 PM
    Ba11er
    I hate when people overuse:

"Can you do me a favor"? The more someone uses this expression the less likely they are to help you when you need a "favor". Just say, can you help me out; you never intend to repay the "favor".

When someone needs something but because your closest your expected to get it for them. When you say no they make it out like your inconviencing them.

I find that the type of person that over uses both of these or use them in conjunction are manipulative selfish aholes.
  • 03-31-2020, 07:13 PM
    dakski
    Sports cars without manual transmissions/stick shifts, at least as options.

I know many modern cars are about the numbers, but I am all about the experience. Driving a stick shift, especially in a good sports car, gets you more connected, period.

Also, if you do not know how to drive stick well, please don't tell you me you do, because you will both literally and figuratively, GRIND MY GEARS!
  • 03-31-2020, 07:27 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Sports cars without manual transmissions/stick shifts, at least as options.

I know many modern cars are about the numbers, but I am all about the experience. Driving a stick shift, especially in a good sports car, gets you more connected, period.

Also, if you do not know how to drive stick well, please don't tell you me you do, because you will both literally and figuratively, GRIND MY GEARS!

As you know I'm not much of a car guy. But I do love good old American muscle. But, yeah, if it's a sports car it's gotta be a stick shift. Hands down.
  • 04-03-2020, 02:39 PM
    Zincubus
    What Grinds Your Gears??
    People still not covering their sneezes up ... in this virus ridden climate !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Prohttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...94050d3587.jpg
  • 04-03-2020, 02:49 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    People still not covering their sneezes up ... in this virus ridden climate !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Prohttps://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...94050d3587.jpg

For sure...but there's also reasonable suspicion that just talking or breathing near others can also spread it. And for sure, singing! There's a choir that practiced social
    distancing & all, but still many came down w/ COVID & last I checked, 2 had died. Singing is 'mouth open & voice projection'...just don't do it near others now. :colbert:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/healt...ter/index.html
  • 04-03-2020, 03:02 PM
    cletus
    Yeah the coughing and sneezing in public really gets to me. Especially these days. I already feel itchy and icky just being around people outside anyways. lol. I last about 30 minutes or so in the grocery store before I have to leave. I get home and am scrubbing myself in the hot shower. I'm NOT a germophobe by any means but this thing has me freaking out. lol
  • 04-03-2020, 03:32 PM
    Craiga 01453
    You know what really Grinds my gears? I'll tell you what grinds my gears long run-on sentences with no punctuation or spaces in between thoughts we all went to grade school and learned this crap by age six what's so hard about punctuation? I don't get it is society too lazy too freaking put periods and commas in sentences or do they just choose to flip the bird to punctuation? It makes no sense to me I just don't understand why people can't make their threads or replies easy to read why not make it easy to read it just seems like common sense to me. oh yeah common sense and common courtesy are gone like the dodo bird.

Anyway, you get my point. It doesn't take much to use proper grammar and punctuation, we ALL learned it. Hell I haven't been in a classroom in about 23 years.... Second grade was 35 years ago, I still know how to punctuate.

I'm not saying we should all be typing like it's a college essay, just use freaking punctuation and seperate paragraphs.
  • 04-03-2020, 04:18 PM
    bcr229
    Quote:

You know what really Grinds my gears? I'll tell you what grinds my gears long run-on sentences with no punctuation or spaces in between thoughts we all went to grade school and learned this crap by age six what's so hard about punctuation? I don't get it is society too lazy too freaking put periods and commas in sentences or do they just choose to flip the bird to punctuation? It makes no sense to me I just don't understand why people can't make their threads or replies easy to read why not make it easy to read it just seems like common sense to me. oh yeah common sense and common courtesy are gone like the dodo bird.

Anyway, you get my point. It doesn't take much to use proper grammar and punctuation, we ALL learned it. Hell I haven't been in a classroom in about 23 years.... Second grade was 35 years ago, I still know how to punctuate.

I'm not saying we should all be typing like it's a college essay, just use freaking punctuation and seperate paragraphs.

Perhaps you should step back and take a deep breath before you loose your sanity.

;)

And while we're at it, "preventative" is not a word, the correct term is "preventive". There is no verb "to preventate".
  • 04-03-2020, 04:27 PM
    wnateg
    Quote:

"preventative" is not a word

https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...r-preventative
  • 04-03-2020, 04:28 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Perhaps you should step back and take a deep breath before you loose your sanity.

;)

And while we're at it, "preventative" is not a word, the correct term is "preventive". There is no verb "to preventate".

Well played ;). :gj:

However, I challenge! According to Merriam Webster both are accepted. Hehehehe. :rofl:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...r-preventative