Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,057

2 members and 3,055 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
  • 02-10-2011, 02:52 AM
    Pauly The Python
    Humidifiers; Are they a bad thing?
    I have seen on reptile websites a couple humidifiers that are supposed to help regulate humidity levels. One actually recommends a temp/humidity controller (exe. when the humidity drops to low it kicks on the humidifier same with the temp). A lot of people have said that the humidifiers are more for amphibious animals but I was wondering if the humidifier would cause my BP to get sick in anyway if it was on one of these temp/humidity controllers?

People have just posted things saying they aren't really needed for BPs but not whether or not they will cause harm
  • 02-10-2011, 04:15 AM
    Snakesonly
    I only use an humidifier when:

- my ball python is in shed and the humidity in the tank is too low to support a good shed
    - my ball python is injured and needs additional humidity to support the healing

I do not use it on a regular basis, too much risk of issues in my opinion and further more if this needs to be used on a regular basis the tank is not set up properly for a ball python and then it is more recommended to get a stable setup.
  • 02-10-2011, 06:37 AM
    koloo921
    Re: Humidifiers; Are they a bad thing?
    I have a 75 gallon fish tank full of fish in my snake room. It keeps the humidity just right. The water also helps keep the temperature more stable.
  • 02-10-2011, 08:07 AM
    qiksilver
    You just contradicted yourself... but that's not why I'm responding anyway, haha. A proper setup doesn't always account for winter dryness. A humidifier is not a bad idea if you think that the air is too dry, I just wouldn't siphon it into individual tanks, that would be excessive. You could always just spray the enclosure.

Personally, I have a humidifier in my bedroom for me, but all the animals get sprayed occasionally and that's been working fine, no need to overly complicate things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josm1982 View Post
    I only use an humidifier when:

- my ball python is in shed and the humidity in the tank is too low to support a good shed
    - my ball python is injured and needs additional humidity to support the healing

I do not use it on a regular basis, too much risk of issues in my opinion and further more if this needs to be used on a regular basis the tank is not set up properly for a ball python and then it is more recommended to get a stable setup.

• 02-10-2011, 10:40 AM
    stratus_020202
    My house gets really dry in the winter. I use tubs, but have a room humidifier to control the room humidity. I really don't see a problem with using one, as long as it's controlled. My room thermometer beeps when the humidity is too high, or low. Sounds like my cell phone though, which can get confusing.

Good luck!