Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,154

0 members and 3,154 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
  • 12-14-2008, 02:28 PM
    boboso
    Re: POLL: Have you been bit by a BP?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mykee View Post
    I think that this "poll" is inaccurate in the sense that it does not determine how many or how long you've been working with ball pythons; do you have one ball python, and has it bitten you every time you touch it, or do you have three ball pythons and only been bit twice in the year you've owned them.

I fall into the "In any given year over the last ten, I've had between 100-250 ball pythons in my care, and my ratio of being bit to not being bit is 0.00001% of the time I handle them.

Agreed, some have given some insight into their "dealings". Mine, with BPs, have come once this week, young 3 month old, always timid and docile, is starting shed. Tap on enclosure to say I'm coming, went to clean up and fill the water dish and a nip. Totally my fault as he was in his hide and saw my fat fingers and scared him into defense. Two minutes later he is in my hands for a shed check, no worries.

The other for me was my brother's BP adult. Rarely handled, bad environment with noise, activity and odd light times. Definitely a defense bite as this snake is easily spooked. Tried to adopt him a few years back, but no avail...

So two times in the span of 10 years of exposure to BPs. However I did not own one until recently, but handled one or more weekly.

Glad this was not a post on how many times bitten by reptiles... :) Catching water snakes when I was a kid, that gave me my quota.
  • 12-14-2008, 06:16 PM
    mainbutter
    My only bites have come from a CBB corn hatchling(more like he started chewing on my hand than striking at it), just about a month old, and wild snakes.

Been bit certainly more than 20 times by wild snakes(luckily no venomous bites), never really kept count.
  • 12-14-2008, 08:34 PM
    Kryptonian
    I have been bit a few times by babies, always when taking them out. I know I could hook them but want them used to hands coming in and a baby bite is nothing.
  • 12-15-2008, 11:48 AM
    Don
    I've been tagged a few times by young ones and once by a large adult female. A few weeks back, I put a live rat in with an adult female and after a little while, when she didn't eat I went to pull the rat out. The rat was running around the water bowl, so I put my hand in the tub to block the path of the rat while I reached in with my other hand to grab the rat. The blocking hand was bit. I jumped about three feet into the air because I was not expecting it.

It was my own fault. I smelled like rat and put my warm and toasty hand into the tub without even looking to see where the snake was sitting. It didn't hurt that much when it happened but did bleed quite a lot. Now, if I have to pull a rat out of a snake rack, I use padded tongs to get a hold on the base of the rat's tail, then quickly pull them out - while keeping an eye on the snake.
  • 12-16-2008, 10:51 AM
    h4y4sh1
    I have 3 bp's at the moment. the other 2 I only aqcuired recently. This one female, I've kept for 6 years, had bit me twice. Once around 2 years ago, and once recently :D :D. Both times, it was my mistake. She was hungry, I just handled a rat, and you know the rest lol. it didn't hurt much more that an adult rat bite though :)
  • 12-16-2008, 10:57 AM
    Morphie
    I have a stressy mojo who bites me every chance he gets. I'm pretty good about not getting bitten but it happens *shrug*. Bites are nothing, though. They are a little scary, especially at first, but it's just easier to get over it and realize that nothing these snakes can do to you is really any kind of big deal. Bigger snakes are a different story, obviously.
  • 12-16-2008, 11:39 AM
    Midwest Morphs
    I can actually vote yes in this poll. I got my first tag last night. It was a cheap tag while giving a little girl water, i didnt even know until i seen the very tiny red blood spec.
  • 12-16-2008, 02:02 PM
    joe18
    i have not been bitten yet but im looking forward to it lmao:rolleyes:
  • 12-17-2008, 01:40 AM
    SRW Reptiles
    I've been bit quite a bit, mostly by little ones. I also get bit by my Gopher Snakes on a daily basis haha.
  • 12-17-2008, 05:29 AM
    Locutus
    I got a bite once, from an otherwise peaceful male... I was playing with my cat and didn't wash my hands properly. Then opened the BP's terrarium for maintenance and... :snake::snake: Very, very painful bite, very surprising.