Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 510

1 members and 509 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
  • 03-23-2013, 09:46 AM
    poultrytom
    Re: A Lesson in Basic Genetics
    good info but how do you get co dominant colours in the first place?
  • 03-23-2013, 11:11 AM
    Coleslaw007
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poultrytom View Post
    good info but how do you get co dominant colours in the first place?

If you bother to research juuuuust a little you'll easily find that information, but eh I'll start you out:

I theorize that some ppl have gone all Faust-but-with-snakes and sold their soul to the devil to find and create all the hottest new morphs.

For the rest of us, they are originally found as wild caught snakes in Africa. Sometimes its already a wild morph, many have been found. Others times its breeding the wild caught snakes and discovering they carry some special genes that make hot snakes. Sometimes already gravid balls are collected wild and their eggs hatched, known as "captive hatched," usually they turn out normals, but sometimes its something cool. New morphs are discovered periodically. The morphs just occur, random mutated genes, no one is totally sure why. Balls are a bit like the rainbow of the animal world: all the same species, but sooooo many different paint jobs.

Just pick (base) morphs and research them, you can usually read about how that particular gene came to be. Albino was the first discovered.
  • 08-14-2013, 11:35 AM
    tjohn310
    Ok that was a ton of genetic info, but I'm curious as to whether when you breed an albino to an albino (neither are paradox) if a normal can pop out and what kind of het would it be?
  • 08-14-2013, 11:45 AM
    spitzu
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohn310 View Post
    Ok that was a ton of genetic info, but I'm curious as to whether when you breed an albino to an albino (neither are paradox) if a normal can pop out and what kind of het would it be?

That isn't possible. Albino x Albino would give you all Albinos.
  • 08-15-2013, 01:00 AM
    tjohn310
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spitzu View Post
    That isn't possible. Albino x Albino would give you all Albinos.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I was just unsure if it could happen and what it would be called.
  • 09-22-2013, 09:12 PM
    Sazra
    great job really helps a lot. I am trying to figure out a good combination to start of with. any idea's starting small but looking for something interesting.
  • 10-02-2013, 05:22 AM
    Borgy76
    I'm pretty positive that my brain just burst into flames.
  • 10-11-2013, 11:20 PM
    Pythonchick89
    A Lesson in Basic Genetics
    Wow! Thanks so much for this! I've had ball pythons a while, but recently started learning more in depth to start trying to breed them & this broke things down so easily!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  • 11-28-2013, 03:27 PM
    Beepers
    Hi, i'm newbie here. It's help me a lot :)
  • 12-04-2013, 07:48 PM
    viper
    awesome and very helpful for alot of people in this hobby!:snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake: