Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,718

3 members and 2,715 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,411
Threads: 248,770
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SnakeLover233

New Cage Setup:)

Printable View

• 10-26-2003, 11:58 AM
    Hey guys........well when I went to work I picked up some vines for my Black Rats cage.........I also added a new water dish and cut the old hidebox down alot. He uses it more now thanks for tellin me to make it smaller:)

Old Cage Setup
    https://ball-pythons.net/albums/album17/P1010039.jpg

New Cage Setup
    https://ball-pythons.net/albums/album17/P1010058.jpg
    https://ball-pythons.net/albums/album17/P1010060.jpg

Good pic of his size......he's in a 10 gallon:)
    https://ball-pythons.net/albums/album17/P1010064.jpg

Caught the little guy takin a drink too!!!1
    https://ball-pythons.net/albums/album17/P1010065.jpg

Tell me what ya think.
  • 10-26-2003, 12:01 PM
    BallKingdom
    Did you ever get that kingsnake from your teachers daughter? Nexr season Don you need to catch me a 7 foot bullsnake and send it.
  • 10-26-2003, 03:43 PM
    No and if I do get it, it won't be until next year thats when she leaves for college. HAHA! If I caught a Bullsnake I'd keep it! But I cant find a sticking Garter Snake let alone a Bullsnake!

But I could hook you up with 20 plus American & Fowlers Toads I catch? haha they are always here....I usualy find 1-2 each day!
  • 10-26-2003, 04:27 PM
    BallKingdom
    Got two already, naw. Keep looking man. During my herping season I can find a snake within 3 mins of looking. It's great, but the species aren't.
  • 10-26-2003, 05:16 PM
    Haha you have two? I kept one before and they're annoying........haha oh well.

What do you find anyways?? The ONLY snake I have caught was a Ringneck Snake.
  • 10-27-2003, 11:11 AM
    Kara
    Make sure that enclosure has one heck of a secure lid...ratsnakes are NOTORIOUS escape artists - you'd be amazed what they can get out of.

Food for thought.

K
  • 10-27-2003, 12:18 PM
    Yeah I know....eertime I go to open it he drops down...he sits in the lids lip...but he cant get out for some reason lol
  • 10-27-2003, 05:44 PM
    BallKingdom
    My corn would do that all the time. I'd have to open it a bit so he'd fall off of it. It sure was annoying.
  • 10-27-2003, 07:25 PM
    Jeanne
    A rat snake I had at one point in time was great at escaping. She got out all the time. I got her for $5 from some kid that brought a whole lot of them in from Florida and they were wild caught ofcourse..when I got her, she was real thin, full of mites... and docile. After I de-nmited her and got her fattened up, she got nasty and I could not even hold her. When she got loose, you had to becareful re-catching her cause she would bite you for sure. I ended up giving her to the zoo cause I could not do alot with her, and I much preferred a snake I could handle easily. She did well with the zoo, in fact they even bred her...
  • 10-27-2003, 07:41 PM
    BallKingdom
    Mean snakes have attitude, spunk. It's cute.
  • 10-27-2003, 08:12 PM
    Jeanne
    I dont know about it being cute when they are mean and have and attitude..especially when they leave you bleeding from where they bit you. It only takes so many bites before you say enough is enough. It may be cute when they are little, but when they are pretty close to being over 5 foot it is not cute anymore. Cute is when they are friendly and kind and dont mind being touched.
  • 10-28-2003, 02:39 PM
    I find it cute in my case....I get bitten several times daily by my little guy....he doesnt even leave a mark though lol
  • 10-28-2003, 03:34 PM
    BallKingdom
    I love it when babies are nippy. In fact I sked Chip to find me a nippy one for a bit of excitement. I must be odd, but in babies I think it is adorable. :)
  • 12-14-2003, 11:17 AM
    Andariel
    I'll be happy to ship my backyard 5' garter snake to whoever wants teh damned thing. Every summer I catch it, and every summer i relocate it about 10 miles down the road.. and would'nt u know it... every fall its back lol. I think imma just give up moving it, as it OBVIOUSLY loves living under my front patio.

-Chris
  • 12-14-2003, 03:39 PM
    BallKingdom
    5'?? Garter??
  • 12-14-2003, 04:30 PM
    Ironhead
    That would be one monster of a garter. 3 foot is about the average around here.
  • 12-14-2003, 05:22 PM
    pimp_n_python
    ya 5 feet is a freakishly big garter

take some pics when it comes back around
  • 12-14-2003, 08:50 PM
    Jesús
    Woa!!!! :shock:
    that's one big garter
    Jesús
  • 12-14-2003, 11:21 PM
    Andariel
    Yeah its actaully like 5'2" and the SOB weighs like 10-15lbs atleast (didn't weigh it, but i knew it was HEAVY for a garter. Had to have been 2-4 inches round at her widest.

Now that I'm into snakes i might just capture it and keep it. It never minded being held before, course i'd pick it up with a noose around its neck until i got my hands placed right then i'd remove the noose and just handle her.

LOL sorry... just sittin here typin this with Andariel on the back of the chair and she just poked her head in my ear lol ;)

-Chris
  • 12-15-2003, 11:53 AM
    CTReptileRescue
    WOW, that is very large for a g. snake.
    Where is this guy located? In Maryland?
  • 12-15-2003, 02:31 PM
    Ironhead
    Question? Are there any Nuclear Power Plant's around your area?
  • 12-15-2003, 05:14 PM
    Andariel
    Yeah I'm in western Maryland (Allegany county)... and no there aren't any nuclear power plants near me. lol...

Its definately an oddity in the garter world, as we get alotta them around here but non are over 2' cept for this guy. I'm starting to wonder if maybe i have it confused with another type of snake? (which is beyond me). but its solid black head to toe so I don't know.

-Chris
  • 12-15-2003, 06:03 PM
    Ironhead
    I really think you have confused it with another type. Maybe it is a Black Rat Snake.
  • 12-15-2003, 06:23 PM
    pimp_n_python
    ya thats what i was thinking.
  • 12-15-2003, 06:28 PM
    CTReptileRescue
    Black rat, that would make sense.
    rusty
  • 12-15-2003, 06:44 PM
    Andariel
    Maybe, I don't know snakes that well, but it looked like every other garter i've ever caught cept abour 2 feet longer. It was pretty docile considering it was a wild caught (then released) snake.

Next time I see him I'll keep him and see if i can get him to eat for me. (or atleast sit still long enough to take some pics) :)

-Chris
  • 12-15-2003, 06:51 PM
    Andariel
    Well after a quick search on Google I discovered that the snake i always reffered to as a garter snake is most likely a black rat.. cept the big one didn't have the white/grey belly. Its underside was almost as black as the rest of it. It was solid black nose to tail.

Funny, my grandfather always taught me that they were garters lol. He had a name for the garters (what i know know them as) too but I can't remember it lol.

-Chris
  • 12-15-2003, 07:35 PM
    Jesús
    Now it makes more sense LOL :)
    Jesús
  • 12-15-2003, 08:57 PM
    Ironhead
    Andariel.....What you ought to do is search on google for snakes that are native to your State and see if you can find what kind that it was.
  • 12-16-2003, 05:10 AM
    Andariel
    It was a Black Racer

http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/s...s/nbracer3.jpg

Taken from this webpage: http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/racer.htm

Thats the 5' beauty i have crawlin around my back yard cept it says they are vicious and will bite when handled... and this guy wasn't quite as mellow as Andariel, but he/she didn't seem to really mind being handled. Who knows. If he comes back this summer I'll catch him and hold him for a few days/week or so and observe him. Tho not in teh same room as my Andy cause I don't want her to catch somethin from it.

-Chris
  • 12-16-2003, 05:15 AM
    Andariel
    I was just doin some checking on the racer's realitive the black rat snake.. and here it is eating... lol check these pics out.

http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/s...blackrat30.jpg
    (thats a crow)

and here...
    http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/s...s/mossrat2.jpg

Just wanted to share those... that second pic is a rabbit lol.

I gotta catch me one of those :)
  • 12-16-2003, 07:18 PM
    Jesús
    Cool!!!! that is one freaky snake.Anyhow i would like to have one to. Maybe that way I can get rid of my neighboor chikens.LOL :wink:
    Jesús
  • 12-16-2003, 08:22 PM
    CTReptileRescue
    Black rats are great, i rehabbed and returned one last year. They seem to have different patterns. The one I had rehabbed was very very black, but I have seen them with their pattern very light too.
    Strange, They stink but whatta ya gonna do, it's still a ratsnake..lol
    Thanks
    Rusty
  • 12-16-2003, 09:23 PM
    BallKingdom
    Holy s**t!
  • 12-16-2003, 11:23 PM
    Ironhead
    And I was worried about my Monty Joe being able to eat a rat......Not no more after seeing that rat snake taking that rabitt. I second the Holy S**T
  • 12-17-2003, 12:13 AM
    Wizill
    Andariel... I found a black rat snake at an old farmhouse my mom's family owns about an hour from my house, he was in the barn eating what looked to be a small sqirrell! I wish I had taken my camera with me. :(
  • 12-17-2003, 12:20 AM
    Ironhead
    Black Rat Snake (Elaphe Obsoleta Obsoleta) I think it should also have said Crow and Rabitt (Obsolete Obsolete) :mrgreen:
  • 12-17-2003, 02:10 AM
    Andariel
    lol ;) Yeah i'm definately gonna keep him for a time (to be determined) when i see him next. tho I think he's prolly cozied up nice and warm under my house right now via the hole in the steps lol. In the spring/summer I'd come home from work and see about 6-9" of his head/neck? stickin outta the hole watchin everything.

Definately seem like smart snakes.

-Chris
  • 12-17-2003, 02:11 AM
    Andariel
    And it definately reassured me that my lil girl can eat bigger things than mice (once i get her to eat one of those to begin with).

Anyone think maybe the mouse is to small and thats why she's not eatin it?

-Chris
  • 12-17-2003, 02:19 AM
    Ironhead
    I dont think being to small would have anything to do with it, but heck, im not a snake so I guess I dont know.
    My BP is over 36 inches long and he dosent mind a mouse on the small side as long as he get's to eat.