Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,875

0 members and 2,875 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

I rescued a very neglected BP. (Progression)

Hi everyone. As the title says, I rescued a very neglected BP a few weeks ago from one of my boyfriend's co-workers. I thought some of you would be interested in following his recovery.

I haven't actually sexed him yet so I'm just assuming he's male for now. We're calling him Dr. Frankenfurter.

When I went to pick him up, I found him in a tank, with a heat lamp and one oversized hide on the cold side. The inside of the tank was covered in YEARS' worth of old waste. The snake was covered with several layers of unshed skin, blinded by retained eyecaps. He was also very skinny, his spine and ribs completely visible. He was weak when I held him for the first time, almost limp.

When I got him home, I promptly soaked him. I left his head and neck alone the first time because he was so headshy and I was trying to minimize stress, but I gently peeled the dead skin off the rest of his body. Underneath I found several healed over scars. Not sure if they were caused by rodent bites, or the old shed getting tight and digging into his body.

Here he is right after the first soak. This is the first picture I took of him, should have taken one before I got started but I didn't think of it at the time.

That's probably his best angle, it doesn't really show how skinny he actually is. And these are the worst of the scars.

Later that night, I offered him a f/t rat pup and he gulped it right down. You can really see how skinny he is in this picture, his back is a sharp peak. From what the previous owner told me, I know that he's over two years old, and yet he's no larger than my yearlings and definitely weighs a lot less than any of them.

He also had patches of reddish pink skin under and between his scales that seemed very sensitive. He didn't want to be touched, even by himself. Seeing a BP ball up while trying not to touch himself is pretty strange... but I kept him on damp paper towels and after about a week the reddish areas faded away, and so did his obvious sensitivity. He seems much more comfortable now, though still shy.

He has been eating rat pups steadily every 3-5 days, so I'm feeling pretty hopeful about his eventual recovery. I've been monitoring him for signs of RI but nothing so far. Still, he's in full quarantine and will be for a while. I'll post updates periodically.

PLEASE NOTE: This snake ended up in this situation because his original owner passed away. He was inherited by family members who were not only clueless about proper care, but were also disabled and literally unable to care for him even if they knew how. Please consider who would care for your snakes if something ever happens to you.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to greco For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Aercadia (07-16-2015),bcr229 (10-30-2014),BWB (12-26-2014),duckschainsaw (03-01-2015),harding83 (10-30-2014),Kamerick (11-13-2014),ladywhipple02 (10-30-2014),LostWingsInTime (01-08-2015),Megg (07-15-2015),Newowner1 (03-04-2015),nucklehead97 (11-12-2014),Sammiebob (11-10-2014),Snake Man 27 (03-01-2015),SnakeBalls (12-26-2014),SpecialGreg (11-09-2014),The Golem (11-13-2014)

Thanks
    Good luck with him!

-Emma

4. The Following User Says Thank You to harding83 For This Useful Post:

greco (11-13-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Thank you for taking him in. Hopefully he will bounce back quickly.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

greco (11-13-2014)

Thanks

Re: I rescued a very neglected BP. (Progression)

Any updates on your rescue?

Thanks
    I'am glad you took him in. Keep us updated on his progress.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greco View Post
    Hi everyone. As the title says, I rescued a very neglected BP a few weeks ago from one of my boyfriend's co-workers. I thought some of you would be interested in following his recovery.

I haven't actually sexed him yet so I'm just assuming he's male for now. We're calling him Dr. Frankenfurter.

When I went to pick him up, I found him in a tank, with a heat lamp and one oversized hide on the cold side. The inside of the tank was covered in YEARS' worth of old waste. The snake was covered with several layers of unshed skin, blinded by retained eyecaps. He was also very skinny, his spine and ribs completely visible. He was weak when I held him for the first time, almost limp.

When I got him home, I promptly soaked him. I left his head and neck alone the first time because he was so headshy and I was trying to minimize stress, but I gently peeled the dead skin off the rest of his body. Underneath I found several healed over scars. Not sure if they were caused by rodent bites, or the old shed getting tight and digging into his body.

Here he is right after the first soak. This is the first picture I took of him, should have taken one before I got started but I didn't think of it at the time.

That's probably his best angle, it doesn't really show how skinny he actually is. And these are the worst of the scars.

Later that night, I offered him a f/t rat pup and he gulped it right down. You can really see how skinny he is in this picture, his back is a sharp peak. From what the previous owner told me, I know that he's over two years old, and yet he's no larger than my yearlings and definitely weighs a lot less than any of them.

He also had patches of reddish pink skin under and between his scales that seemed very sensitive. He didn't want to be touched, even by himself. Seeing a BP ball up while trying not to touch himself is pretty strange... but I kept him on damp paper towels and after about a week the reddish areas faded away, and so did his obvious sensitivity. He seems much more comfortable now, though still shy.

He has been eating rat pups steadily every 3-5 days, so I'm feeling pretty hopeful about his eventual recovery. I've been monitoring him for signs of RI but nothing so far. Still, he's in full quarantine and will be for a while. I'll post updates periodically.

PLEASE NOTE: This snake ended up in this situation because his original owner passed away. He was inherited by family members who were not only clueless about proper care, but were also disabled and literally unable to care for him even if they knew how. Please consider who would care for your snakes if something ever happens to you.
    So glad there are such good people in this world. Hows is the little guy doing?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialGreg For This Useful Post:

greco (11-13-2014)

Thanks

Thanks. I can't turn away an animal in need... I'm sure most of us here would have done the same thing.

He's doing good so far! I've had him about 6 weeks now, and he's been eating well and starting to put on some weight.

I haven't actually weighed him at all, because I broke my scale a few months ago and still haven't gotten around to replacing it... which is too bad, I would have liked to know how much he weighed when I brought him home. But I can see that his back is starting to fill out a little. I'm hoping he'll have a nice clean shed soon. He's still feeding on rat pups but I plan on moving him up to weaners after he sheds.

Sorry for the crappy pic, I'll take better ones soon.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greco For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-13-2014),Sammiebob (11-12-2014),Sirensong26 (11-13-2014),slithering_BP (12-25-2014)

Thanks

Here's a better picture that I took last night right before I cleaned his tub.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greco For This Useful Post:

Newowner1 (03-04-2015),snake.named.fuzzy (03-01-2015),The Golem (11-13-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Very nice! He still looks thin but not painfully so. You've done a great job.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

greco (11-13-2014)

Thanks

He is a beauty! The BP I rescued is still kinda sketchy. I hold him as much as I can but he just has this attitude about him. I just think he doesn't like people due to his past. Hopefully he will warm up soon. He is eating like a pig though. That is one good thing.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cumminsman For This Useful Post:

Aercadia (07-16-2015),greco (11-13-2014)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast