Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,982

1 members and 2,981 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Signs females are ready?

Do female ball pythons show signs when they are ready to breed? Maybe things like aggression, off feeding, active, etc. New to this whole breeding thing My female is acting super aggressive, like she bit me for the first time and acting really nasty and hissy. She is usually very mellow and shy...been throwing my male in with her every couple or so days (no locks if course). Some advice would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    They can, but they don't always and sometimes signs can be subtle or missed. There are things like laying inverted, bowl wrapping, glowing, sometimes just staying away from the heat can be a sign. There is also the preovulation swell that can happen, more noticeably in some than others. What I pay attention to just as much as all that, is simply different actions from a female during this time of year. What may be a sign for one, might be normal everyday behaviour for another. For one with a vigorous appetite normally, she may go off of feeding, one that is a really hit and miss feeder through the rest of the year may suddenly become a vicious feeder...I have a couple that are normally very shy/timid/nervous/reclusive, the stay hidden under their water bowl/hide at the back of the cage, I start seeing them towards the front of it out in the open. One of mine that has laid this year already showed no noticeable changes in behavior at all and I wouldn't have known to expect eggs if I hadn't seen the pre-ovi swell. All that stuff really has to do with signs of her building up follicles, where in there she may be willing to breed they often aren't too picky about, sometimes they can be, and sometimes they may be willing to breed but not with the male you want them to breed with...and sometimes it's the male that just isn't up to speed for whatever reason. I would suggest slowing down on how often you're putting them together though, try every 2-3 weeks, if you get a good rain storm come through, put them together then...if I know I see a good lock, I don't pair those up together again for another month.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rascal_rascal_99 For This Useful Post:

Scirlygirl (04-23-2014)

Thanks

Re: Signs females are ready?

Before you start pairing, no. After you do, there will be signs like them laying funny, eventually glowing, and some become more aggressive as they become close to laying and will go off feed as well. You seem to be posting quite a bit. I know I know you want answers, but it's much more rewarding to find the answers yourself. I
    0.2 normal, 1.0 Butter, 1.1 Fire, 1.0 Pastel, 0.1 Spider, .1 Pastel Het Clown

Thanks

Well this forum is for questions...I never had questions until I got into breeding. I'm sure after it happens I'll be like "oh, I get it." I just plan on doing it right, better ask them so I know what I'm doing verses an owner who has no idea what their doing. I've never done this before so I don't know what to expect....Sorry to write so much :/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scirlygirl For This Useful Post:

rascal_rascal_99 (04-23-2014)

Thanks
    Ask what you wish, wanting to know what signs to be aware of during breeding season is a very valid question. If someone is tired of seeing your questions, they can always just skip them and there will be plenty more people here to answer.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rascal_rascal_99 For This Useful Post:

dr del (04-23-2014),MaddMan (11-10-2019),Scirlygirl (04-23-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Lots of reading material out there if you take the time to search. Then again,just get a horny male that doesn't know the word "NO". He will work her to death until he gets a piece!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to grcforce327 For This Useful Post:

Scirlygirl (04-23-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rascal_rascal_99 View Post
    Ask what you wish, wanting to know what signs to be aware of during breeding season is a very valid question. If someone is tired of seeing your questions, they can always just skip them and there will be plenty more people here to answer.
    Questions are good. Ask them. This ensures you don't 'learn yourself' by causing your snakes harm.

They can change behavior a bit, but if I had a snake start to get aggressive the first thing I would do is double check all of the husbandry and give them a thorough inspection.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MrLang For This Useful Post:

Scirlygirl (04-23-2014)

Thanks

Thank you so much everyone, you've been very helpful )