Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,621

1 members and 2,620 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question alright temporary home?

i have a 20 gallon tank that is 24 inches wide. i was hoping/wondering it would be an adequate temporary setup for this bp?

it will not be permanent. It will only be for 2 weeks to a month. i will be building a rack.

I have a heat pad and all i need is a thermostat, which i will be getting soon. Would a 66qt tub work better after a week or two in that tank? Just until i can get a 44qt?

or should i keep her in the tank and get the 44qt as soon as i need to move her?

what do you think?

i also have this male in a 20long. i do not know his weight...

would he be a better fit into that tank, and temporarily keep him in the 20 gal?

i just need advice. sorry the photos are so dark.
    Last edited by snalf; 05-22-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks
    sorry to double post -- http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterilite...3?N=5yc1vZc89j look alright?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Do not use the heat mat until you get a tstat. Do yourself a favor and buy a good one. I recommend Herpstat. If you order it directly they ship very fast.

As for the tank it will work for now. The corn dog box is fine but could be made better by loosely balling up newspaper and sticking some in it to make if feel smaller and more secure.

The flower pot or whatever the other hide is needs to be replaced. it is everything you do not want in a snake hide. Try to find another box.

Many times you can find cheap tupper ware style containers at the dollar store that can be altered into snake hides.

I would also recommend looking for a dog bowl at the dollar store for water. The ceramic ones are a good choice as they are easy to clean and have a wide flat bottom. The style you are using is very easy for a crawling snake to tip over and spill. In most cases that is not that bad but being you are using a box as a hide it would not be good for you right now.

I would keep the snake in one place and move it into the rack once ready. Moving it around a few times while new is not going to help it settle in.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Marissa@MKmorphs (05-29-2015)

Thanks

Re: alright temporary home?

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Do not use the heat mat until you get a tstat. Do yourself a favor and buy a good one. I recommend Herpstat. If you order it directly they ship very fast.

As for the tank it will work for now. The corn dog box is fine but could be made better by loosely balling up newspaper and sticking some in it to make if feel smaller and more secure.

The flower pot or whatever the other hide is needs to be replaced. it is everything you do not want in a snake hide. Try to find another box.

Many times you can find cheap tupper ware style containers at the dollar store that can be altered into snake hides.

I would also recommend looking for a dog bowl at the dollar store for water. The ceramic ones are a good choice as they are easy to clean and have a wide flat bottom. The style you are using is very easy for a crawling snake to tip over and spill. In most cases that is not that bad but being you are using a box as a hide it would not be good for you right now.

I would keep the snake in one place and move it into the rack once ready. Moving it around a few times while new is not going to help it settle in.
    alright, yea. i was iffy on the flower pot. i saw it suggested and wasnt sure, myself.

i'm planning on getting a thermostat and heat tape and so on from reptile basics soon. I'll be getting a 35 quart tub while she's a sub-adult. Dollar store stop is a must, now!

I will ball up the newspaper. Thank you so much!!

She'll stay in the small tank until i get the rack ready, thank you! The ceramic one was def a temporary. I didn't have anything that fit well enough into that tank. I will see if I can make a dollar store stop tomorrow (aka today??)

Vivarium Electronics Hobby Stat is the stat i'm looking into. I'm investing in better hides as well.

Thanks
    I would suggest using dark colored tupperware containers for hides for your Ball Python - They are cheap, won't fall apart like the cardboard when they get wet or pooped on, and they provide tight, secure cover. Simply cut a hole in the side of the container with a hunters knige or heavy duty scissors, burn the sides of the hole with a lighter or grind down the sides with sand paper so your snake doesn't get cut and your hide is done. Very easy to do.
    I would suggest using a non-skid dog or cat bowl, the bowl has dome like sides so your snake wouldn't be able to tip it over like the bowl you currently have.
    One more thing, i would tape construction paper or newspaper around 3/4th's of the outside of the tank to give your snake the security she/he needs, tanks are very open and cause a lot of stress for snakes because they feel vunerable and exposed

If you make these changes then this enclosure will absolutely work temporarily. Congratulations on your new snake!
    Last edited by PassionFruitReptiles; 05-23-2015 at 12:43 PM.
    Erica

0.1.0 American Pit Bull Terrier
    0.0.2 Black Moor Goldfish
    0.0.2 Oranda Goldfish

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PassionFruitReptiles View Post
    I would suggest using dark colored tupperware containers for hides for your Ball Python - They are cheap, won't fall apart like the cardboard when they get wet or pooped on, and they provide tight, secure cover. Simply cut a hole in the side of the container with a hunters knige or heavy duty scissors, burn the sides of the hole with a lighter or grind down the sides with sand paper so your snake doesn't get cut and your hide is done. Very easy to do.
    I would suggest using a non-skid dog or cat bowl, the bowl has dome like sides so your snake wouldn't be able to tip it over like the bowl you currently have.
    One more thing, i would tape construction paper or newspaper around 3/4th's of the outside of the tank to give your snake the security she/he needs, tanks are very open and cause a lot of stress for snakes because they feel vunerable and exposed

If you make these changes then this enclosure will absolutely work temporarily. Congratulations on your new snake!
    Thanks! the construction paper idea is actually really great.

I appreciate the help. I will definitely do that. Going to the dollar store in a few hours.

I love this girl. She's a beauty.

Thanks
    I have never had any VE tstats but many here use them and like them. The VE Hobby stat is probably better than others in the price range but if at all possible spend some more money and get yourself a better stat. Think about just how long you snake can live. Buying the best tstat you can will greatly increase the length of time before you need to replace it.
    KMG

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I have never had any VE tstats but many here use them and like them. The VE Hobby stat is probably better than others in the price range but if at all possible spend some more money and get yourself a better stat. Think about just how long you snake can live. Buying the best tstat you can will greatly increase the length of time before you need to replace it.

the cuts have been smoothed out. There are two of them bc my other snake has been using a reptile log on his cool side.

two water dishes that were super on clearance from pet smart, and black construction paper for around the base of the tank.

Look alright?
    Last edited by snalf; 05-23-2015 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks
    The bowls look fine.

The hides have one very big issue. If you can see through them the snake will be able to see out. This is not going to make the snake feel secure. The hides need to be a place where your snake feels safe and protected. It needs to feel like a predator can not see it and reach it.

These are great hides. http://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes

If the dollar store did not have any better option you should try a pet store and look at small litter boxes. I use large ones for my big blood. She wears them more like a hat since she out grew them but they are the largest they make and she seems fine with it. You should not have any issues using them.
    KMG

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

snalf (05-23-2015)

Thanks
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum...-Gray/17011110

i saw that is water-based and has been successfully used for reptiles.

with a good sealant, could i hypothetically use this to make the tupperware containers darker??

sadly the dollar store was pretty limited on them.

if not you don't think that'll work, I will invest in the hides from reptilebasics

*edit -- heading out tomorrow to go to the pet store! It's too late at night now.
    Last edited by snalf; 05-23-2015 at 09:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast